2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Change the Transmission Fluid in 2013 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
How to Change the Transmission Fluid in 2013 Fit

It was a piece of cake.

I jacked up the left (Drivers) side to be able to get under it. Put safety blocks of wood under left side.

Had a drain pan ready...the kind with a lid and screw cap. Cheap at AP stores.

Removed the Tranny Drain Plug. It's right there with a 3/8 Square drive and I think it was painted blue. A 3/8 socket wrench will fit right in there. It is TIGHT, so you might need a pipe breaker extension on the end of the socket. I used a 1/2" torque wrench with a 1/2 to 3/8 conversion socket.

It will come out with your fingers turning it once it busts loose. Hold it in while you're unscrewing it.....when you release it, fluid will come out pretty strong, so have your drain pan away from it a little, then move it in.

It didn't have much crud on the magnet....I wiped it off....put a couple layers of teflon on the threads and screwed it back in. I reused the washer..don't lose it.

Do NOT over tighten it when you replace it. The teflon tape will make it slippery, so just get it tight.....but no where near as tight as it was when you removed it. If you tighten this too much, you stand a chance of cracking the case........and then you will be in a HUGE world of hurt.......lol. I'd say get it kind of snug....and see if it drips. If it does, just tighten it a little more until it stops. Park it on some cardboard and see if it drips after you drive it a bit. Then just tighten a bit more.

I'd have pictures of it all, but pictures seem to disappear from threads.

I have a LONG funnel that comes to a narrow point....from an AP store....but it's not really long enough to use to fill the tranny through the dip stick. SO, a piece of 1/2", or 3/4" clear hose....don't know.....slipped on the end of the funnel and made a tight fit. You can buy a long funnel and take it to the hardware store to see what will fit it. About 5 inches of hose on the end of the funnel was perfect, and the hose fit inside the dip stick hole in the tranny.

Then I measured what had come out in the drain pan.....actually, I poured one quart of new trans fluid (AmsOil) into the tranny, and then filled that empty bottle with used fluid from the drain pan. And repeated that. Turns out it was almost exactly 3 quarts.

So now I had 3 quarts new fluid in the tranny.

Then I disconnected the drivers side hose from the bottom of the radiator. There's a spring clamp right there on the hose and it's easy to remove it. I used a large bent needle nose to compress the clamp and move it down the hose. Then I grabbed the hose where the clamp was with some channel locks and turned the hose back and forth a little to loosen it. Then pushed on the end of the hose and it slipped right off.

I took a length of clear 3/8 inch hose (not sure of the size..it was a little loose, so might have been 1/2") and slid it on the pipe where the hose was before. I cut it long enough to reach to the ground and put the end into a 32 oz old mayonnaise jar.

Then I turned on the engine.......a few seconds at a time and checked the level of the jar to see how much came out. It turns out that a 5 count will fill the jar.......Start with a 4 count and see first. If you have a buddy they can watch it and yell out when it's almost full.

SO, after I filled the first jar with old oil, I poured a new quart of fluid through the funnel.

Then filled another jar with oil, and added a new quart......wash rinse repeat.

I had 7 quarts to do the job, and it took most of it.

Towards the end, I checked the dipstick to see where I was at.

Don't put too much in..........better to be low than too much when you're done.

The LAST quart jar that comes out will be pretty decent, cause it will be mostly new fluid........so if you're low when you're done you can use some of that to top off the tranny......of course if you don't use AmsOil, you can buy a new quart.....but AmsOil has to be mailed to you, so I would have had to wait.

But as it turns out, the level is pretty much spot on......on the high side of the mark....but good.

I guess if you over fill it, you can very CAREFULLY drain a little from the drain plug....OR maybe siphon some out with a clear 3/8" hose or something.

I'll drive it around a bit and see where the level is after.....

The level turned out to be a little high.....so I siphoned out a little with a 3/8" clear hose.

ADeep......ADeep.........That's all Folks...........

z

Last edited by Zardiw; 04-14-2017 at 04:08 PM.