2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems w/ throttle response on inclines!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Unhappy Problems w/ throttle response on inclines!

Hey Fellow Fit Owners:

I am having a problem with my 2013 Fit SE, auto trans, has about 40k miles on it.

It seems that whenever I am stopped on an incline going up, say on a steep hill (I live near Seattle) or in a parking garage with a steep incline, I am experiencing a throttle that will not respond under gentle pressure, almost as if the engine has stalled. I live in fear that the car will roll back!

This is forcing me to "two foot" the car, with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas, in order to get power. Unfortunately, this causes it to surge forward when I take my foot off the brake, caused by then too much throttle!

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Is this possibly an already identified problem?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Hopefully I can resolve this before I accidentally roll into a car behind me!

Regards, Dan Mullene

Last edited by dmullene; 05-17-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 PM
After further internet research, it looks like the fact that I use both feet on brake and throttle, I am activating something called "auto brake override" in my Fit, which causes the car to stop power, thinking that the brakes.

Here's a link about this:
Loss of power on steep hills

Anyone know how to turn of this feature? Or am I doomed to having to go back to driving with only my right foot?
Comments? Ideas? Rants?

Thanks, Dan Mullene

Old 05-17-2017, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Good catch on the auto brake override "feature" Dan. If you're on a hill and are afraid of rolling back, can you give it a little throttle, gently modulating it as needed to stay stationary without your foot on the brake?

I guess you could use the handbrake as an alternate means, releasing it as you move forward.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
Good catch on the auto brake override "feature" Dan. If you're on a hill and are afraid of rolling back, can you give it a little throttle, gently modulating it as needed to stay stationary without your foot on the brake?

I guess you could use the handbrake as an alternate means, releasing it as you move forward.
Thanks for your reply. I will just have to learn that if I am going to "two foot" the car, I will need to remove my left foot from the brake before hitting the accelerator!

As for the hand brake: A good alternative. This is a procedure I know well from my '94 Miata when I want to free up my clutch foot on a hill!

At least now I know it's not the car that's the problem, it's me. I guess there's something to be said for knowing that...

Old 05-18-2017, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Use the hand/emergency brake....it will give you good control. If you still have an issue, pull the air box and clean the throttle butterfly plate.