2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Service - What Do They Do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Transmission Service - What Do They Do?

In my regular oil changes, dealer says I am due for a transmission service - and they want a hefty amount. I've gotten quotes from a few shops - varying, a lot. One shop said only the dealer can service the transmission according to their system.

Isn't the transmission service just drain/fill? If it is, I have a hard time paying the shop.

This is, by the way, a 2013 Honda Fit Base, Automatic Transmission.

Thanks very much.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Isn't the transmission service just drain/fill?
Correct. Simple drain and fill.

Dealer will use the absolutely correct Honda approved DW-1 fluid, I assume?
At my dealer it's around 100 beans, but that's going to vary.
We also recommend ATF service every 30k miles--- because we know what happens when transmission service is neglected.

I think very few other shops would use the correct fluid. Any red fluid must be good enough, right?
Quickylube places will want to flush with a machine and chemicals, and they will use the cheapest red fluid they can get, all of which are not good for your car.

The service is simpler than an oil change. If you can handle your own oil change, buy 3 quarts of Hondas DW1 and a drainplug washer and do it yourself.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
Correct. Simple drain and fill.

Dealer will use the absolutely correct Honda approved DW-1 fluid, I assume?
At my dealer it's around 100 beans, but that's going to vary.
We also recommend ATF service every 30k miles--- because we know what happens when transmission service is neglected.

I think very few other shops would use the correct fluid. Any red fluid must be good enough, right?
Quickylube places will want to flush with a machine and chemicals, and they will use the cheapest red fluid they can get, all of which are not good for your car.

The service is simpler than an oil change. If you can handle your own oil change, buy 3 quarts of Hondas DW1 and a drainplug washer and do it yourself.
Thanks. They are asking over $200 at my dealer. Crazy ridiculous. Will be doing myself I think.

Much appreciated.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
If you need it, there are DIYs and several threads with descriptions on this forum and others.
Civic, Fit, procedure is the same even if the trans are slightly different.

Just make sure you have a clean funnel that will reach the fill hole before you begin.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:12 PM
Yes, it's easier than an oil change. That they charge much more is a sign they're screwing with you. The transmission oil is more expensive than motor oil but not by that much- and there's no filter to change.
By the way, you say that the dealer says you're due for a transmission service. What does the car tell you?

Old 08-26-2017, 12:43 PM
I had assumed the transmission service a dealer does is more than a drain and fill. Rather, I thought they did a drain/fill -- then drive it a couple miles to mix with the old fluid -- another drain/fill -- drive some more -- and then a final drain/fill. That's the only way to get close to 100% new fluid (~87.5%).

If they really are only doing a single drain/fill, you should really have it serviced more than the maintenance minder tells you. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), the maintenance minder has you do the whole ordeal.

Personally, every other oil change I do a single drain and fill. Then roughly every 30k, I'm close to 100% new fluid.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
When refilling, be sure to check and re-check the fluid level according to your Owner's Manual. It needs to be done with a hot engine; don't overfill.

Start the engine, leave in Park
When you hear the radiator fan start, turn off the engine
Wait for 60 Seconds, then pull the yellow-handle dipstick
Wipe it clean and fully insert it
Level should be between the upper and lower marks in the HOT range

I tend to fixate on getting it perfect, so for me it takes quite a while. I find that I need to rev the engine to 4K RPM a few times to get it hot enough for the radiator fan to start.

Agreed on changing it for the 1st time at 30K Miles instead of 60K. I did so at 60K after buying the car used and the fluid looked terrible. I changed my transmission fluid filter too.

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 08-27-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Is the transmission service for stick shift cars as well?

Old 08-27-2017, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by siguy
Is the transmission service for stick shift cars as well?
A manual trans needs love too, but there is far less to go wrong.
I'd be ok with going by the maintenance minder suggestion, or every 60k miles.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
When I looked at paying the dealer $60 plus $8 / qt for the 3 qts DW-1 fluid, it was approaching the cost of a 12-pk of Honda DW-1 at $90. I did the "drain-fill-drive-drain" method four (4) times to make sure the tranny dipstick appeared to have "new" DW-1 on it.

Yes, maybe it was overkill but for the same price, more or less, I ended up with a very "complete" fluid change versus the dealer's procedure.

Probably should do it again since both Hondas ('09 Civic & '11 FIT) gained another 30,000 miles since. 98% is local start / stop driving, so harder on everything.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
I did my 2011 manual transmission drain and fill at about 63K miles. The old fluid was a darker brown, but still translucent so it was definitely due for a change, but I couldn't see any metallic particles or burnt fluid. It took about 1.6 or 1.7 quarts and it now shifts silky smooth. It's like a new freaking car again. Love it.

With MTF under $12 a quart on amazon (
Amazon Amazon
), it makes sense to do it yourself. It was indeed easier than engine oil.

Also, grab a bunch of aluminum crush washers for tranny oil, engine oil, etc. they're like $6 a 10pack on amazon. Cheap to ensure you've got a solid seal on the drain plugs.