2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper switch testing

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 04:28 PM
Wiper switch testing

I was hoping someone here could tell me how to test my 2010 Fit Sport wiper switch. As I have no washers front or rear. First thing I checked was the fuse and it is good. I can't see both washer motors going out at the same time. So that is leading me to the switch.
Thanks
Tom

Old 08-26-2017, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Washer tank isn't just empty? (don't laugh)

There is only a single washer pump that runs both front and rear washers.

Access the pump motor and wiring, probably by peeling back the inner fender trim. (or however you need to access it...I don't have a similar car to look at in front of me)

Connect a test light to the wiring for that washer motor. Pull the trigger on the washers and see if the test light lights up. (or use a voltmeter)

If it lights up, that confirms you have both power and ground TO the pump, therefore the pump motor must be bad.

If it does not light up, you have more sleuthing to do.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:06 PM
Smile Switch testing

According to all the info about my car it has two pumps one for each end.
That is why I was headed towards the wiper switch as I can't see both pumps
going bad at the same time. And just for S and G I am going to pull the inner fender and inspect maybe I will get lucky and just have to plug them back in.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
According to all the info about my car it has two pumps one for each end.
You need to find better info then LOL

It has a single washer pump.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member
  1. Remove the right inner fender.
  1. Disconnect the 2P connector (A) from the washer motor (B).
  1. Test the motor by connecting battery power to the No. 1 (or No. 2) terminal, and ground the No. 2 (or No. 1) terminal of the washer motor. The motor should run.
    • If the motor does not run, or fails to run smoothly, replace it.
    • If the motor runs smoothly, but little or no washer fluid is pumped, check for a disconnected or blocked washer hose, or a clogged washer motor outlet.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Anybody know if the washer pump sends water to the rear by *reversing* the impeller blades? Mine only sends to the front, and the impeller only rotates clockwise no matter what I do at the control arm by the steering wheel. When I swap the tubes, it sends to the rear no problem. So is there a relay that tells the pump to turn clockwise or counter-clockwise? Do I have a bad relay? The pump works fine but only spins in one direction.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mitch101
Anybody know if the washer pump sends water to the rear by *reversing* the impeller blades? Mine only sends to the front, and the impeller only rotates clockwise no matter what I do at the control arm by the steering wheel. When I swap the tubes, it sends to the rear no problem. So is there a relay that tells the pump to turn clockwise or counter-clockwise? Do I have a bad relay? The pump works fine but only spins in one direction.
On a system with a single pump, polarity is reversed to make the motor run the opposite direction to force fluid to the other line.

Polarity reversal is controlled by the MICU.

I'd suggest you could check the pumps harness connector with a voltmeter to see if the unit is in fact receiving power AND ground when each direction is requested (watch the polarity closely).......and then check the pump itself-use jumper wires to manually apply power and ground to the pump motor....then switch wires to change the motor direction, to see if the pump does or does not run both directions.

A pump is a whole lot cheaper than a MICU...

Old 09-12-2017, 07:12 AM
Many thanks. I did check the connector with a voltmeter and got +12V but forgot to tell the wife to activate the rear washer for a 2nd voltmeter check. I also disconnected the battery for 20 minutes hoping to reset the MICU (if such a thing's possible) with no effect. What makes you think it's the MICU and not a relay somewhere?

Old 09-12-2017, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
What makes you think it's the MICU
Read again....I did not say that.
and not a relay somewhere?
Because there are no relays involved in your issue.