2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog Lights on a Base Fit, 2013.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 01:49 AM
Lightbulb Fog Lights on a Base Fit, 2013.

Hello!

I am dumping money into a depreciating asset to try and learn about it. :P

That being said, I want to add fog lights to the base (DX) Fit, with manual locks and A5 transmission, 1.5L SOHC i-VTECH engine...It's all stock.

I have seen kits for under $40 at Canadian Tire (Canadian retailer) Walmart and online. So I did some research and found out that some kits have in-line fuse boxes and relays built in, and also contain (sometimes simple rocker) switches for the internal panel dropouts.

Well, I was just wondering if anyone has done this to their Fit or other vehicle and have pictures to share (or advice).

Thank you!

Old 10-18-2017, 11:31 AM
Thumbs up Winplus 3" Smart Running Light Kit

I purchased the 3" Smart Running Light Kit by Winplus, and will now wait for them to arrive. I'll take pictures once they're installed.
Smart Off-Road Lighting

Old 10-19-2017, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Get the OEM stuff. Leave the Canadian Tire fog lights alone.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by carotman
Get the OEM stuff. Leave the Canadian Tire fog lights alone.
The DX front bumper doesn't have dropouts for fog lights. So I need to go with aftermarket.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:23 PM
Bought cheap Canadian Tire lights and wired them up, just need to attach the switch.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what two wires to tap for the interior switch that communicates with the foglight relay.

But I have heard conflicting information...is there a diagram or chart somewhere? I am not even certain what to type into the search query...

Old 10-20-2017, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Poneet
The DX front bumper doesn't have dropouts for fog lights. So I need to go with aftermarket.

These are the OEM fog lights that carotman was trying to tell you to get. I have them on my base model. The car comes pre-wired for fog lights too, so wiring was super easy.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:03 AM
This is what the Canadian Tire fog lights look like, the cheap $25 ones. Now...if only I knew which harness wires to quick tap for the switch's power and ground I could turn them on. I can't find a diagram anywhere!

Attached Thumbnails Fog Lights on a Base Fit, 2013.-fitfreak.jpg  
Old 10-22-2017, 03:53 AM
Well, I did some more digging on forums, and found out that quick splices are not the greatest way to wire fog lights.

Somewhere in my struggle I read about piggyback fuse taps. And they make special hardware for doing this. It looks much safer.

I think I'll see if I can find the right fuse using the manual. Might need to borrow my dad's multimeter.

Update later.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
You can see the OEM honda kit here (for base model)
https://www.handa-accessories.com/fitext09.html

You can probably find it cheaper on Ebay or something.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:10 PM
I wired up the switch using a fuse tap connector, with a 15A glow fuse for the accessory fuse, and a 3A fuse for the add-on/tapped switch. It's not the neatest job ever, but they work now.
2013 Honda Fit DX with Canadian Tire 3" aftermarket fog lights.
2013 Honda Fit DX with Canadian Tire 3" aftermarket fog lights.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
I have the fit sport with OEM fog lights and they are not that special - useful, but I wouldn't pay the premium. Those aftermarkets look nice - looks like a good choice.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:42 AM
Water has accumulated in one of my fog light. Don't know how it's possible.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sue88
Water has accumulated in one of my fog light. Don't know how it's possible.
If a lot of water, either the front lens / rear housing is damaged or the gasket around the lamp socket is leaking. If just a fogging, then it might be normal for your climate: hot / humid days and cool / cold at night.

There has to be some opening in the housing to allow it to breath. It gets very hot inside and the air expands and needs to escape. Likewise, when they are turned off, the air contracts and new air gradually gets sucked in to equalize the pressure.

Again, how much moisture gets into the foglight(s)? Do both lights exhibit about the same amount of moisture? Does that moisture disappear with use of the foglights? Do you ever drive through water that would put a lot of water directly on the foglights?

Old 03-17-2018, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
If a lot of water, either the front lens / rear housing is damaged or the gasket around the lamp socket is leaking. If just a fogging, then it might be normal for your climate: hot / humid days and cool / cold at night.

There has to be some opening in the housing to allow it to breath. It gets very hot inside and the air expands and needs to escape. Likewise, when they are turned off, the air contracts and new air gradually gets sucked in to equalize the pressure.

Again, how much moisture gets into the foglight(s)? Do both lights exhibit about the same amount of moisture? Does that moisture disappear with use of the foglights? Do you ever drive through water that would put a lot of water directly on the foglights?
It rained a lot during the last couple of weeks. In one of the foglight, it's not just moisture. It was water accumulated inside. The other fog light which is not working, it seems like the colour of the fog light itself which has changed to an extent that the two fog lights don't seem to be the same.
I'll take pictures later and upload if possible

Old 03-17-2018, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
It was water accumulated inside. The other fog light which is not working
Seems like both should be removed (unplug the light) and brought inside to a well lighted work surface, cleaned, and inspected for a breach in the housing.

Also take the working light bulb and place it in the socket of the one not currently working and test. The least expensive outcome is that the one bulb is bad and can easily be replaced. Worse would be an internal wiring problem on that one foglight circuit. Usually, paired light bulbs are both replaced since both have same amount of hours of use, and therefore, both wear out close together.

Regardless, both housings should be removed from the car, cleaned, inspected to determine how so much water gets inside.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
Seems like both should be removed (unplug the light) and brought inside to a well lighted work surface, cleaned, and inspected for a breach in the housing.

Also take the working light bulb and place it in the socket of the one not currently working and test. The least expensive outcome is that the one bulb is bad and can easily be replaced. Worse would be an internal wiring problem on that one foglight circuit. Usually, paired light bulbs are both replaced since both have same amount of hours of use, and therefore, both wear out close together.

Regardless, both housings should be removed from the car, cleaned, inspected to determine how so much water gets inside.
Thank you for your answer.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:50 AM
I'm also looking to install fogs on my base but they are 220 oem not that bad thinking of buying them just ordered the mud flaps

Old 03-28-2018, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
It rained a lot during the last couple of weeks. In one of the foglight, it's not just moisture. It was water accumulated inside. The other fog light which is not working, it seems like the colour of the fog light itself which has changed to an extent that the two fog lights don't seem to be the same.
I'll take pictures later and upload if possible
Any updates? Just wondering how so much water is getting inside the fog lights.