2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Would you ever replace 3 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Would you ever replace 3 tires?

I have low mileage Fit (50k) with stock Dunlops. About 10k miles ago, the driver’s rear tire picked up a screw and it was too close to the sidewall to patch so my semi-big regional tire store put in a new Dunlop and told me it was ok to drive (no need to do 2 or 4 new tires).

I am now ready to replace the remaining tires. They pass the penny tread test but not the quarter test. The replacement tire obviously still passes the quarter test with flying colors.

Would you replace 3 tires in this instance? Or just scrap the 10k tire and install 4 new tires? I know people here don’t like Dunopls but I’ve been happy with them. Also, semi-big regional tire store recommends a wheel alignment with new tires ($50). Necessary?

Last edited by know-nothin; 11-14-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Shop around and you can probably get that 4th tire for free. There are quite a few manufacture rebates out there that require the purchase of 4 tires. With the relatively low cost of Fit size tires, the rebate usually covers one tire.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
I have low mileage Fit (50k) with stock Dunlops. About 10k miles ago, the driver’s rear tire picked up a screw and it was too close to the sidewall to patch so my semi-big regional tire store put in a new Dunlop and told me it was ok to drive (no need to do 2 or 4 new tires).

I am now ready to replace the remaining tires. They pass the penny tread test but not the quarter test. The replacement tire obviously still passes the quarter test with flying colors.

Would you replace 3 tires in this instance? Or just scrap the 10k tire and install 4 new tires? I know people here don’t like Dunopls but I’ve been happy with them. Also, semi-big regional tire store recommends a wheel alignment with new tires ($50). Necessary?
I would never just replace three tires. I had a Dodge Stratus that had about 20K miles on the tires. Had a flat that wasn't fixable. Decided to buy just one tire. That increased the wear dramatically on the other side. Within less than 10K miles the older tire was worn. So I bought another new tire for the worn one. Then the tire that was the replacement for the flat tire wore rapidly. I sold the car before I had to deal with it. It did teach me to buy tires in pairs or have the replacement shaved down to the thread depth of the other three. Since you're buying new that would seem foolish to have one of the tires to shaved to match one you already have. Personally, I'd just buy four and save the other one in case you have another non-repairable flat.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
I would never just replace three tires. I had a Dodge Stratus that had about 20K miles on the tires. Had a flat that wasn't fixable. Decided to buy just one tire. That increased the wear dramatically on the other side. Within less than 10K miles the older tire was worn. So I bought another new tire for the worn one. Then the tire that was the replacement for the flat tire wore rapidly. I sold the car before I had to deal with it. It did teach me to buy tires in pairs or have the replacement shaved down to the thread depth of the other three. Since you're buying new that would seem foolish to have one of the tires to shaved to match one you already have. Personally, I'd just buy four and save the other one in case you have another non-repairable flat.
Sounds like a very reasonable concern. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:36 AM
should've replaced the first as a pair. dont replace a single tire for the same reasons not to replace 3.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member
Replace all four tires. The stock Dunlops are scrap, you'll be happy you did it.

(This is what happened to me: had to replace 1 tire maybe 1 year after I bought the car. Then, 2 years later, would have had to replace another tire that was too damaged to repair. Instead, replaced all four tires with Toyo Proxes 4 Plus. Really, I would not go back to the stock tires, they really are junk!)

Old 11-15-2017, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by edspecR
should've replaced the first as a pair. dont replace a single tire for the same reasons not to replace 3.
Or of course if it was possible...just of replaced all 4 then.
I'm surprised the original tire shop was OK with just replacing 1 tire in the original scenario.

I don't think the question is so much "Would you ever replace 3 tires?" so much as it is "Why would you replace 1 tire, and combine it with 3 other tires that have 50K on them?".
I wouldn't do that unless it absolutely was just an emergency stop gap. Liking running a spare. Otherwise? You mix 1 new tire with 3 near to being replaced tires...you end up here.

I think tires obviously are a safety issue. So I'm very conservative in my advice.

Paying again to replace a tire that only has about 10K on it...is unfortunate, but if it was me? I'd buy a whole matched set of 4, maybe keep the 10K tire, as an emergency spare...and move on.

I might not go back or trust the "Semi-Regional Big Tire Store" that told you it was OK to mix a single new tire in with 3 "last leg" tires. That's the advice I do not agree with.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet

I might not go back or trust the "Semi-Regional Big Tire Store" that told you it was OK to mix a single new tire in with 3 "last leg" tires. That's the advice I do not agree with.
That’s what I’ve been wondering myself. I specifcally asked them about this and they assured me it was ok to just replace the one tire. On the spur of the moment, I decided to their advice as I needed to get it done right away. Anyway, I’m going get 4 new tires. I’ll shop around.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
That’s what I’ve been wondering myself. I specifcally asked them about this and they assured me it was ok to just replace the one tire. On the spur of the moment, I decided to their advice as I needed to get it done right away. Anyway, I’m going get 4 new tires. I’ll shop around.
buy four new tires. Keep the one with 10k on it. Get a used rim from junk yard, get the tire mounted and balanced. Now you have a full sized spare always on hand at home. No need to waste a good tire.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Since buying the fit, we’ve moved from a one family home to an apartment. Having an old tire in the living room may very well interfere with marital bliss so I’m afraid that the 10k tire will have to go to waste. Oh well.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
LOL...just means you have to keep two of them and need a 24x24 piece of glass. Instant end table and conversation piece.

Guessing the spouse may not be enthused with the idea though.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
LOL...just means you have to keep two of them and need a 24x24 piece of glass. Instant end table and conversation piece.

Guessing the spouse may not be enthused with the idea though.
Haha. That’s bound of go over well.