2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the sunshine button for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:33 PM
What is the sunshine button for?

We just bought a used 09 Fit Sport with 5sp manual and it has a button on the lower left side of the dash. There is space for 3 buttons, I believe the first one is for stability control. But ours just has one button in the middle. It has the symbol of half the sun with rays coming out of it, I just call it the sunshine button. Now what in the world does this button do? The local Honda dealership doesn't know, it's not in the owners manual, and I've googled and come up with nothing. I've pushed it in, notice nothing different on dash lights or outside lights. The symbol lights up when the head lights are turned on. It looks factory. Can any of you help me out?

Old 01-18-2018, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Let me preface this with...I could be wrong.
But years ago, with my now departed 2010 Honda Fit, I had the Honda Ambient Lighting installed. It came with a button, if I remember right, very much as you describe.

This is the aftermarket lighting that lights up the footwell, in a blue glow.

On mine they actually installed the button upside down, so it was a rising 1/2 sun with the rays pointing upwards.
I think the correct orientation was suppose to be with the semi-circle facing down, and the "rays" pointing downward.

To be sure you could just google Honda Fit Ambient Light Button....in images, and see if any of the pictures match what you are looking at....
But that's my guess.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Ambient light switch pic, found in GIS (actually it came from another thread in this forum):

Old 01-19-2018, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
Yep...

Originally Posted by ezone
Ambient light switch pic, found in GIS (actually it came from another thread in this forum):

...that's what my button looked like, except they installed the button upside down. I actually kind of thought it was neat....and left it that way.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:00 PM
very cool - wonder if OP actually has the ambient-lights (and didnt notice in the daytime) or if they just had the button (for some unrelated reason)...

Old 01-20-2018, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the answers, my button has the sun rays pointing up. The ambient lighting makes sense, but when pushed, nothing lights up anywhere and I can't see anything in the footwells that was installed for lighting. Once winter is over I'm just going to have to tear into it and trace where the wires go.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
That is the ambient light switch. I bought one for my Fit and used it to control the daytime running lights. These switches are removed pretty easily. So you could pop it out and see if there are wires attached to it.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wingnut Warrior
Thanks for the answers, my button has the sun rays pointing up. The ambient lighting makes sense, but when pushed, nothing lights up anywhere and I can't see anything in the footwells that was installed for lighting. Once winter is over I'm just going to have to tear into it and trace where the wires go.
That's strange. Because when I had mine installed they also put the button with the rays pointing up.
But I immediately believed they screwed up, as I think it's evident the rays are suppose to denote the light shining down from the footwell.
But I didn't really care. I thought the "sunshine" looked kind of neat.

Also weird that you would have the button but evidently no lighting. I suppose it is possible whomever traded in the vehicle ripped the lighting out but left the button. But I would think that would hardly be worth doing.

It's kind of strange and let us know what you find.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
Ambient lighting could be there but the fuse is blown or the light itself has failed.