2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes failing - vacuum issue. $30 part unavailable anywhere in the U.S. WTH?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Angry Brakes failing - vacuum issue. $30 part unavailable anywhere in the U.S. WTH?

So the $30 vacuum hose going to the brake booster seems to be failing, and the part is on national backorder with no availability in sight. I'm supposed to just put the car up on blocks? WTH?

Old 02-03-2018, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
It's just a large vacuum hose with a one way check valve in it.
I assume the check valve is bad?

...build your own hose setup or cut your original check valve out of the original hose and install a new one.

Google image search 'brake booster check valve' to see what one might look like

Go to a parts store that caters to better shops (not one that is open on Sunday), get a brake booster vacuum check valve for just about anything that has it in the vacuum hose (as opposed to locating it on the booster), and some vacuum hose of the right size if necessary.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:44 PM
I think I have the same problem. My brakes are hard in the morning then they feel better after they warm-up. But still a little funky. The mechanic can;t figure it out. Is this a similar problem?

Old 05-29-2019, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ricci Gee
I think I have the same problem. My brakes are hard in the morning then they feel better after they warm-up. But still a little funky. The mechanic can;t figure it out. Is this a similar problem?
The booster vacuum check valve affects power assist for the brakes, but not the brakes themselves.

The part is cheap enough to just buy it and try it

Old 05-30-2019, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Buy reinforced hose. If not, the hose will collapse into itself rendering the brakes ineffective

Old 05-30-2019, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Do you mean Honda Part No.: 46402-TK6-A01 ???
If so it is on hondapartsnow and even Amazon and eBay.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by JingJangJoe
Buy reinforced hose. If not, the hose will collapse into itself rendering the brakes ineffective
Not true. The OP is talking about the boost system NOT the hydraulic system. Even if the boost system is lost this does not affect the hydraulic system -- you'd still have brakes (you'd just have to push a lot harder on pedal). That said, the advice given was for the OP to use generic vacuum hose together with generic check valve designed to be used for boost system.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FTBT
Not true. The OP is talking about the boost system NOT the hydraulic system. Even if the boost system is lost this does not affect the hydraulic system -- you'd still have brakes (you'd just have to push a lot harder on pedal). That said, the advice given was for the OP to use generic vacuum hose together with generic check valve designed to be used for boost system.
I am talking about the vacuum hose.

If the hose is not reinforced, the engine vacuum will collapse the hose, causing the booster to have no vacuum thus reducing brake effectiveness

Old 05-31-2019, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by JingJangJoe
I am talking about the vacuum hose.

If the hose is not reinforced, the engine vacuum will collapse the hose, causing the booster to have no vacuum thus reducing brake effectiveness
“Rendered ineffective” means you’d lose your brakes which is not true. Further, OP was already advised to purchase generic vacuum hose and check valve. Maybe what you should have said was to make sure to buy vacuum hose because vacuum hose is made to resist collapsing on itself.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
We're having a similar issue with the '13 . Brake pedal takes too long to engage . 2 Honda dealers have seen it . They said the brake pads / rotors and the drums / shoes are good . Maybe HONDA should have a T.S.B. for it . Closing in on 53,000 miles .

Last edited by Odie; 05-31-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by Odie
We're having a similar issue with the '13 . Brake pedal takes too long to engage . 2 Honda dealers have seen it . They said the brake pads / rotors and the drums / shoes are good . Maybe HONDA should have a T.S.B. for it . Closing in on 53,000 miles .
This sounds like a different issue and perhaps a more serious one although you say that Honda dealers have looked at it. I do not believe brake pedal height and free play is adjustable on Fit (I'm new to Fit) but you should confirm. BTW, there should be a specification as to when pedal becomes firm, some sort of height above floor spec -- did dealer check this? Assuming no brake pedal adjustment issue (most likely) and brake pedal travel is too long before braking action starts a potential issue is that as the piston in the master cylinder moves forward there may be some leakage past piston seal(s), or you could have a leak in one of the two brake circuits (but you'd know this as you'd be losing brake fluid). Sometimes stuff gets into the fluid reservoir and makes its way into the master cylinder and can cause a seal to leak perhaps only in the beginning of the piston's travel (no brake fluid would leak externally). Sometimes there is a bit of corrosion or wear in part of the master cylinder but not the whole cylinder which can cause an internal leak too. When the car is stopped and sitting still (but with engine running so that you have boost pressure), try hitting the brake really hard and see if that makes a difference in when the pedal becomes firm (and brakes are being actuated) -- if brake pedal becomes firm earlier than when you use more gentle pressure this could indicate internal leak (by pushing down hard on pedal seals mushroom out and seal better if only momentarily). Also, try putting brake pedal under moderate pressure and then let off pressure gradually and see if pedal becomes softer (a bad sign).

Anyway, if you really think that there is issue with brakes along the lines you suggest, you'd better nail this down quick before someone gets hurt. A brake pedal activation at a lower than normal height is something to be investigated pronto.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by ezone
The booster vacuum check valve affects power assist for the brakes, but not the brakes themselves.

The part is cheap enough to just buy it and try it

Replacing the check valve, and it seems to be better. But, it's summer now, and the issue seems to happen when the weather is cold. So we'll see. Thanks!