2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Immobilizer removal/bypass

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Immobilizer removal/bypass

Did anyone remove or make immobilizer not check chip on the key?

Got new key, but trying to avoid programming fee. Fit is now a rally, so not really worried about being stolen.

I did search, but could not find anything definitive.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
You can't. Which is the point. Sorry.

You'll have to either program the key or replace the ECU/immobilizer unit and get all new keys for the new unit.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:59 PM
Hi,

A follow-up question. Can we use old key/transponder to program the immobilizer or it needs to be a blank transponder?

Old 03-23-2018, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
You still have a working key that will start the engine, yes?

Immobilizer "antenna" is the ring around the ignition keyhole (the immobi control unit is a complete assembly attached to the ignition lock)

You COULD remove that unit, stick a (correctly coded and working) immobi key through that ring and tape it together, leave it connected to the wires, and tie it in a safe location

Then any key that fits and turns the ignition lock will start the car, because the immobi unit is always able to read its properly coded key

Old 03-23-2018, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
You still have a working key that will start the engine, yes?

Immobilizer "antenna" is the ring around the ignition keyhole (the immobi control unit is a complete assembly attached to the ignition lock)

You COULD remove that unit, stick a (correctly coded and working) immobi key through that ring and tape it together, leave it connected to the wires, and tie it in a safe location

Then any key that fits and turns the ignition lock will start the car, because the immobi unit is always able to read its properly coded key
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I don't have a working key. I replaced the cluster and fusebox so I definitely need to program a key.

My car is a 2008 Japanese FIT with smart key (knob type) and I also bought xtool x300 to program the immo.

However, I am using the old key which is of course have a programmed transponder. I wonder if that is the reason why I always failed at programming the keys.

I purchased some blank PCF7936AS, just waiting for it to arrive but I was hoping if someone can shed some light about key programming whether I really need a blank transponder.

P.S.
I have another Japanese FIT with smart key again. I tried adding the very same key I mentioned above and still fails. So maybe it's safe to say that programmed transponder cannot be re-used for adding key or all keys lost. But still, I'm hoping someone with proper knowledge can enlighten me.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
I replaced the cluster and fusebox so I definitely need to program a key.
This may make it more difficult than simply programming a key. The dealer level scanner has special functions for replacing units like those.
Can you reinstall original parts for key programming purposes?

There are several different versions of immobilizer systems, and the "chip" in the keys aren't always interchangeable amongst the various systems.

Programming does not alter the data in the "chip" in a key. The immobi system simply learns that chips data during the programming process

I have not tried to program a smart fob (pushbutton start) to multiple cars but I believe the same to be true for it too.

In short, I don't really have all the answers you need right now....nor do I have info for non-NA cars

Old 03-23-2018, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
Programming does not alter the data in the "chip" in a key. The immobi system simply learns that chips data during the programming process
At first I thought this was the case, but digging the net about some information, I found this untrue. If the immobi system learns the transponders data, then how come there is a cloning service? Anyway, I will have a spare time to tinker with my broken fit. Hopefully, I can gain some knowledge about it. The only problem with my car right now is the immobilizer is not programmed and I have a flashing green key light on my dash. The car just crank but cannot start. Typical scenario of unprogrammed key & immobi.

Plus the fact that my car have a smart key system (but not the push button type) makes it more challenging. I wonder if I can replace the smart system with regular key cylinder.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kulskul
At first I thought this was the case, but digging the net about some information, I found this untrue.
No, it's true.
If the immobi system learns the transponders data, then how come there is a cloning service?
The key company ILCO (originally, but there may be others) offered an immobilizer key equipped with a blank (uncoded) transponder chip, and they were to be used with a programming device that 'reads' the data on an original keys chip that the car already recognizes, and then duplicates and installs that data into the blank chip.

The immobi CU then believes that new cloned key is an original immobi key because it recognizes the exactly identical data in its transponder chip.
Cut the pattern on the blade and the key is ready to be used.

However, if you read Hondas info on the ILCO cloneable keys (Google search Honda bulletin 99-053 for USA), they were only offered for early immobi systems (Immobilizer types 1, 2, and 3). The Cloneable ILCO brand key blanks were stamped T5.....and don't confuse ILCO key blanks with a genuine Honda key showing a similar stamp on the blade, they are not the same.

Not sure what year cars you are dealing with, but USA 09-13 Fit used Immobilizer type 6 (search for bulletin 06-011)
USA 07-08 Fit used immobi type 4 (bulletin 02-053)

I wonder if I can replace the smart system with regular key cylinder.
This, I don't know. I don't know of a way to fool the stock ECM into thinking you have a correct key. (I normally only deal with all original unmodified cars)

You might need a modified/tuned/custom ECM since the original ECM contains part of the immobilizer system, and it needs to see the rest of the immobi system working along with a proper key before it will allow the engine to run.

Also, you replaced other parts in the car that contain critical immobilizer system items....the IMOES unit is now unprogrammed and needs corrected before key programming....if you go with programming. See those bulletins for more info.

HTH