2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Life & PM Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 02:21 PM
Oil Life & PM Schedule

I have a 2013 Fit and I want to change the oil. It shows in the user manual how to reset the oil life after I finish the oil change. My question is whether this will effect the other maintenance tracking features in the computer. Or, are they based only on the mileage, or some sensor inputs?

Thanks,
- Michael

Old 04-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Good question, I'd also like an answer on this issue.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
I believe it effectively logs as done the services currently displayed. So if all that's being called for is an oil change, it'll get rid of that. If it's calling for a more comprehensive service, it'll assume you did it all before clearing it.

But if for example you were only halfway to the mileage where the brake pad service is due, it will not affect that -- once you log the rest of the mileage that service will be displayed.

... that's my understanding.

In other words, if you don't want to do a part of the service that's displayed, you should either wait to reset it until you do, or keep track of when you're going to do it (because it won't remind you again).

Old 04-24-2018, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
That is my understanding as well fujisawa.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Needs to be connected to HDS to reset individual items

Old 04-25-2018, 04:20 PM
Thanks Howarejew. So that means if I reset the oil life per the owners manual after changing the filter/oil, the Maintenance Main Items (letters) and Sub Items (numbers) will not reset?

Old 04-25-2018, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
He is saying that, if you reset the MM it will reset all values based on the entire service being performed.

So...
If it is calling for just an oil change and you reset, it will reset just the oil life meter
If it is calling for oil change and other service items and you reset, it will reset those other items as well as the oil life meter

HDS can reset individual items. This would be needed if only certain maintenance items listed on the MM have been performed.

In other words, if you want to use the MM as intended, you need to perform all maintenance items that are listed and then reset.

Your other option, which is the one I took, is to completely ignore the MM system and just perform all maintenance items on a schedule you create. I change the oil, rotate the tires, and clean the air filter every 5,000 miles. Change the brake fluid, drain and replace some coolant, and change the in cabin filter every two years. Change the spark plugs, do the valve adjustment, and change the transmission fluid every 50,000 miles. Drive belt at 100,000 miles.

Very close to a big service that will encompass all of the above at 200k.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Yes that is a great point Gafit.

Keep in mind the MM is only partially to remind you to do service at certain intervals -- it's also to prevent dealers from recommending unnecessary services! At some point Honda realized their engines could easily run 7500 or 10000 miles between oil changes if babied, making it a bad customer experience to have the occasional dealers who call for a 1970s-engine interval of 3000 miles figuring that plenty of people still have this myth in their head. I've had plenty of dealerships, even seemingly well run ones, try and push more frequent intervals -- I know they're well aware it's not needed. The MM gives you, the consumer, more power to avoid unnecessary services. And if you are sufficiently motivated, there is nothing wrong with keeping track of the intervals yourself!

Personally, while I'm sufficiently confident to keep my own log, I'm also lazy and like reminders. I might occasionally do something before recommended -- having experienced early AT failure on another Honda I did the first ATF change at 25K when it started sounding rough -- but for the most part I just pay attention to the oil % and feel confident it's a decent estimate.

Last edited by fujisawa; 04-25-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:12 PM
So does the MM actually use sensors, or is it just mileage based? If it's just mileage based, I'll probably do a log and ignore it if I can find out the official Honda maintenance schedule (other than do items A when the MM says to, etc.).

Old 04-26-2018, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
No sensors. It is an algorithm based on usage.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:38 AM
So, I think I've understood this. The MM displayed A 123. I replaced the oil, transmission fluid, inspected the drive belt, rotated the tires, replaced cabin filter & air filter. Then I reset the MM by holding in for 10 seconds till it blinks and then holding down for another 5 seconds until it says "Oil Life 100%".

Does this mean that only the service items that were displayed were reset?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
It resets as though you took it to the dealer and they performed the exact services called for according to the owners manual for the service suggested by the MM.

Any services that were beyond what is called for are not recorded. Nor are any services that were skipped.

The notice that it's been reset only acknowledges that the oil was changed and assumes that the other functions were performed as well.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mongerson
So, I think I've understood this. The MM displayed A 123. I replaced the oil, transmission fluid, inspected the drive belt, rotated the tires, replaced cabin filter & air filter. Then I reset the MM by holding in for 10 seconds till it blinks and then holding down for another 5 seconds until it says "Oil Life 100%".

Does this mean that only the service items that were displayed were reset?
By replacing those fluids and filters, yes, you have done the recommended/displayed service and reset that maintenance interval. It will likely come up with a B service next time, for a brake service.

It's designed to help group services together so that you aren't constantly at the dealer. Thus, oil changes are tire rotations are grouped together. Hope this helps.