2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with stuck Passenger seat (disassembly)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 04:20 PM
Talking Need help with stuck Passenger seat (disassembly)

Hey all.

About 5 months ago we purchased a 2012 Fit for someone in our family to use as a daily driver. Found out this week that the passenger side seat would no longer slide back and forth, it is stuck in the furthest rear position. As the car was scheduled for an oil change at the dealer and fixing of a TPMS sensor we had them check it out.

Dealer said "seat frame is busted, $1700 to fix".

OOOOOK.

So today I took the seat out of the car to see what I could find out. Initially the bar on the seat would not disengage or engage the release tabs on the left side. As I worked on the seat a stuck dime, a stuck nickel, and some caramel popcorn were released (person who drives the car insists none of these things were ever consumed by her or her friends )... so now when the bar is pulled up you can hear the tab release and engage on that side, and the seat will move a few millimeters but is still "stuck".

I couldn't figure out how to further disassemble... does anyone know how to manually take it apart so I can remove the rails and clean everything out? There are nuts down there but it doesn't look like removing them is going to help me out as the bolts are locked in on the other side.

Is my best option to just get one out of a salvage yard at this point? You know what I'm not gonna do? Pay the stealer $1700 to fix it.

Thanks!

Last edited by voip-ninja; 05-31-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:53 AM
5 Year Member
Why not take the entire seat out to work on? Disconnect battery and pop off the four covers on the seat bolts. Then unplug the electricals underneath.

Or just leave it the way it is.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Why not take the entire seat out to work on? Disconnect battery and pop off the four covers on the seat bolts. Then unplug the electricals underneath.

Or just leave it the way it is.
I posted that I did take the seat out of the car. I don’t know how to separate the upper seat frame from the lower track components and I’m trying to get input on the best way to take that apart because there are four compressed bushings between the frame and the track and I can’t see how to release the lower frame assembly.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry I missed that. Big hammer may loosen them.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:50 AM
This happend to mine when i was cleaning under the seats now a penny was stuck inside the roll bar look closely because thats what happend a damm penny got stuck way inside

Old 09-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by voip-ninja

I posted that I did take the seat out of the car. I don’t know how to separate the upper seat frame from the lower track components and I’m trying to get input on the best way to take that apart because there are four compressed bushings between the frame and the track and I can’t see how to release the lower frame assembly.
How did you manage to take this apart? I have a stuck driver's side seat.