2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Doors/tailgate sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Question Doors/tailgate sensors

Hi guys,

Since this morning, my FIT (2009 LX) is complaining that at least one door is open. The open doors light in always on. I can confirm however that every door, including the tailgate is properly shut. I believe the tailgate might be the issue since I've been having issues with my tailgate for weeks. It won't unlock so I have to manually using a screwdriver to unlock it from inside. There is a small white round plastic knob that I have to manually push with a screwdriver to unlock it and then I can use the pull to open the tailgate.

I am wondering if I messed up a sensor by doing that. Do you guys know where is the sensor for the latch in the tailgate ?

I also installed a Curt T-Connector this week-end on the FIT and I haven't used the car since this morning. I don't see why a T-Connector could mess the sensor since it is connected to the lights, but maybe I did something wrong. I just thought I would mention it, even if it might not be relevant.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

Neo.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:41 AM
hello
cant claim to know much about electronics beyond being able to connect an aftermarket stereo....but i do know that in my 09 Fit, when I tried connecting a Dei aftermarket shock sensor/ glass break sensor to the OE security alarm ("properly" - with relays,add a fuse, etc) to the front door pin wires, the alarm would not set, and im pretty sure i remember seeing the "door open" light on, in the dash.

long story short, i can confirm the door sensors do not like anything "piggybacked" on them. not sure if u just tapped just a light wire or something tied to the door pin. a faulty hatch lock might send it an "open" light on its own too though.

hope this helps, let us know the outcome!

Last edited by eulogy; 06-04-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eulogy
hello
cant claim to know much about electronics beyond being able to connect an aftermarket stereo....but i do know that in my 09 Fit, when I tried connecting a Dei aftermarket shock sensor/ glass break sensor to the OE security alarm ("properly" - with relays,add a fuse, etc) to the front door pin wires, the alarm would not set, and im pretty sure i remember seeing the "door open" light on, in the dash.

long story short, i can confirm the door sensors do not like anything "piggybacked" on them. not sure if u just tapped just a light wire or something tied to the door pin. a faulty hatch lock might send it an "open" light on its own too though.

hope this helps, let us know the outcome!
Thanks for your reply.

I had some time to look at this yesterday night. I'm not done yet. I removed the tailgate plastic cover from the back and eventually found a 2-pins connector near the tailgate lock assembly. Unplugging that connector shut off the doors open light in the dashboard and shut off the interior lights. So it seems that these 2 wires are the sensor. Makes sense; I believe the sensor is only a switch that close the circuit when activated. I'll put my multimeter on the connector tonight to confirm that the circuit is closed.

For the moment, I left it unplugged so that at the very least all my interiors lights shut off and that I can remotely lock my car. I will have to remove the entire lock assembly to have proper access to these wires and the sensor to find out what's the issue.

At the same time, I am also troubleshooting that white plastic knob that prevents my lock from unlocking. This is annoying as hell. I believe there is too much tension on the cable from the handle to the lock assembly. Probably something is rusted in the handle and this prevents the lock assembly from unlocking properly. Removing the handle is another story however where it must be done from outside. I'll see if I can at the very least disconnect the cable from the assembly and then I can confirm if the lock unlocks properly on its own.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
I just thought I would add some closing notes if anyone is experiencing the issue.

So last week I decided to replace my tailgate handle. With the help of my friend, we removed it and it was completed covered in rust. Replacing the handle with a brand new one fixed all my issues. Of course, the tailgate now properly opens with the new handle, but the lock sensor is working now. I found out that even if my tailgate was shut, I still could lift it for about 1/4 inch. It would move but not open. After changing the handle, now the tailgate is not moving at all. We figured that the rusty handle was putting tension on the steel cable and unlocking the latch only a bit. But that small bit was enough to cause the sensor to trigger an open tailgate.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:12 PM
Glad you got it sorted out...thanks for the follow up!