2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS On

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
TPMS On

The TPMS is lit on the dash in our 2010 Fit Sport. The manual says this means there's a problem with the system, not to be confused with the icon indicating a problem with a tire that's low on air pressure. Any idea what type of repairs may be required to correct the problem? Is this a dealer only repair?
TIA

Old 08-13-2018, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Most likely the battery in one of the sensors in a tire has died. You have a second gen Fit and they have onboard pressure sensors in the tires.

It happened to my ‘09 Fit. It cost about $75 to have the dealer replace the sensor and recalibrate the system.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Most likely the battery in one of the sensors in a tire has died. You have a second gen Fit and they have onboard pressure sensors in the tires.

It happened to my ‘09 Fit. It cost about $75 to have the dealer replace the sensor and recalibrate the system.
Thanks. I wonder if Goodyear would rape me on this. They're much more convenient. I go there for flat tires and have been satisfied.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah your local tire shop can fix it but if ure picky about mount marks, i suggest u check to make sure they have a touchless mounter. and if one of dem’s battery died chances are so will the others.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
That’s the problem with that type of TPMS system. There’s sensor in each tire that radios pressure info to the ECM. Each sensor has a battery which has a life of about 5-7 years, so yours are probably near the end of their life.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yes, as uncle gary mentioned it is a pita halfarsed system. if it at least showed the pressure of each tire in the cluster like a junk chevy cruz dues, den RF type makes sense but all it does it tells the obc that one or more of the pressure is too high or too low (usually too low).

modern abs based tpms runs quite reliably now (less GK's) so honda should just improve on the abs based system and stop consumers from having to have to spend like 200 to replace all 4 sensors. plus on the GE, you cant defeat traction control while tpms is on, which is totally stupid.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
TPMS are expensive to replace when the battery dies after about 5 years. Case in point. $258.60 TPMS Sensors - (433 MHz) 997-606-021-01-M458 I rather not having to deal with them. Even if you have the tires at the right pressure, the dash still give you a warning that something is wrong if the TPMS are bad..

The Honda system is good enough to let me know the tire pressures are not in sync. You are likely to check all of the tires anyway, not just the one that displays low..

Last edited by wasserball; 08-13-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Damn, the Honda TPMS must use a crappy battery to need that kind of replacment?!! I have the TPMS sensors on my 2004 4Runner and have never changed out a sensor/battery. It has 5 sensors including the spare.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
2008 Fit here and TPMS is fine and has never failed. Original batteries. If it has to be replaced, you can buy a set of all 4 sensors for as little as $40. Just not a big deal other than the install.

That's more than can be said about the inference method system in our VW. It has falsed and had to be reset three times over the past year.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
TPMS are expensive to replace when the battery dies after about 5 years. Case in point. $258.60 TPMS Sensors - (433 MHz) 997-606-021-01-M458 I rather not having to deal with them. Even if you have the tires at the right pressure, the dash still give you a warning that something is wrong if the TPMS are bad..
That's a Porsche part number best I can tell. What in the world does that have to do with the $10 sensors in the GD and GE Fit's?

Old 08-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
The TPMS is lit on the dash in our 2010 Fit Sport. The manual says this means there's a problem with the system, not to be confused with the icon indicating a problem with a tire that's low on air pressure. Any idea what type of repairs may be required to correct the problem? Is this a dealer only repair?
TIA
Is this different than the 13's? My TPMS does not blink when low on air.. it just stays on.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
There are two separate lights. One is "TPMS" which means there's a system fault. The other is a picture of a cross section of a tire. That one means low tire pressure.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:57 PM
OH, okay thanks for the clarification

Old 08-30-2018, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Well, there's a good discussion going on here so I'll add my two cents worth in. I read this thread this morning before going down to my local Honda dealer to pick up a part for my wife's Accord. While there, I talked to a buddy that's an experienced parts tech and he said he never heard of a battery in the Fit tpms units. I had him check the tpms info on my gen-2 2013 Fit sport. I did notice the OP on this thread has a gen-2 2010 Fit, so I guess there's always a chance that there is a difference in the sensors within the gen-2 cars.

The parts tech gave me an exploded view print out of the tpms sensor for my car, and the actual sensor body is not servicible and is sold as a unit. The only other parts available are a nut and a washer that basically attach and seal the sensor assembly to the inside of the wheel to the valve stem hole. There is no mention in the diagram of a servicible or non-servicible battery. My take on this whole thing is that a tpms sensor can be defective in production or could have been damaged when someone dismounted a tire from a rim for repair or replacement. From what I found out today, my feeling is I don't think that anyone should worry about their sensors imminently going out and worry about the cost of replacement- not any more so than for any other random part on our cars failing.

The tpms sensor assembly for my 2013 is 42753-TR3-A81 and lists for $42.00.

Maybe someone with a gen-2 Fit service manual can come up with a Honda approved method of diagnosing which tpms sensor is at fault and if in fact replacement of that tpms assembly is the only means of repair.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:18 AM
A few days after I read this thread, my TPMS light came on as well. It went away after 30 miles, then came back after 20 miles. This pattern repeated itself three times before the TPMS now stays illuminated all the time. I consistently check my tire PSI (once each week, all three cars....gas tank levels too because sometimes the CFO "forgets"), so I know I am good. And while it is disconcerting to see the light on, I do not plan on purchasing replacement sensors until A) tires need replacing (they are new) or B) I purchase a new set of wheels and tires (any day now...c'mon lucky lottery numbers).

Lesson learned - do NOT read any threads on FF because yours will be the next to exhibit those problems.

Last edited by marmaladedad; 08-31-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 56chevydan
Well, there's a good discussion going on here so I'll add my two cents worth in. I read this thread this morning before going down to my local Honda dealer to pick up a part for my wife's Accord. While there, I talked to a buddy that's an experienced parts tech and he said he never heard of a battery in the Fit tpms units. I had him check the tpms info on my gen-2 2013 Fit sport. I did notice the OP on this thread has a gen-2 2010 Fit, so I guess there's always a chance that there is a difference in the sensors within the gen-2 cars.

The parts tech gave me an exploded view print out of the tpms sensor for my car, and the actual sensor body is not servicible and is sold as a unit. The only other parts available are a nut and a washer that basically attach and seal the sensor assembly to the inside of the wheel to the valve stem hole. There is no mention in the diagram of a servicible or non-servicible battery. My take on this whole thing is that a tpms sensor can be defective in production or could have been damaged when someone dismounted a tire from a rim for repair or replacement. From what I found out today, my feeling is I don't think that anyone should worry about their sensors imminently going out and worry about the cost of replacement- not any more so than for any other random part on our cars failing.

The tpms sensor assembly for my 2013 is 42753-TR3-A81 and lists for $42.00.

Maybe someone with a gen-2 Fit service manual can come up with a Honda approved method of diagnosing which tpms sensor is at fault and if in fact replacement of that tpms assembly is the only means of repair.
The battery is molded into the device and is not serviceable...

Changing TPMS Sensor Batteries

If you have to buy a set, you can get all 4 on eBay for $40.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
Here in Pennsylvania, our vehicles (trucks, cars, motorcycles) have to go through an annual safety inspection (physical - tire tread, brake pad thickness, lights, etc) & emissions testing but they use vehicle's error codes as a surrogate to actually running a gas analysis. So, the vehicle will fail the inspection and be illegal to operate (ticket from a cop when the right stickers aren't affixed to the windshield). The "TPMS" light being on will trigger a error code that gets stored in the computer and it will fail the inspection (btw - you pay the same $ pass or fail), so we can only wait until it's time of the inspection.

Personally, I got "dinged" big time. I had just installed new General Altimax RT43 (205/50-16) on my '11 Sport AT and over the course of a year, each wheel's TPMS sensor battery failed (marked each tire as each failed - several tire change places used a Snap-On signal reader - walked around car and pointed to the dead sensor - so never the same one since I would rotate the tires just in case there was a game afoot) in the 50K mile range 4 yrs into ownership (bought new Mar '11). Our '09 Civic has same system, has ~120K miles / owned 9 yrs (bought new July '09) and has "never" had a problem, "I want those batteries".

Also had a Toyota TMPS get damaged by a garage trying to address a leak and they broke the bead and the unit ($100 OEM).

I like the concept but really hate the execution.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
I can't win a debate or argument AGAINST TPMS.
A direct system or a passive system, It's just a safer world with something that may warn you of tire pressure loss.
BUT....

It certainly was a simpler, cheaper world, when everyone's TPMS was Grandpa with a PSI gauge.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
I have 3 motorcycles (just sold the 4th) and checking tire pressure is part of my "pre - flight" check, every time. TPMS does allow you to think about something else until it "almost" matters.