2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Purchase used Fit with Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Purchase used Fit with Navi?

Would you buy a used Honda Fit with navigation? Would this be something to worry about and possibly be considered a negative or a positive? I don't want to be dropping $1500 to replace the navi unit in a few years.

Background -I have been looking for a nice used Fit for my daughter. My criteria is lower miles, regular maintenance (dealership preferred), no accidents, automatic trans.

A local dealer has a nice one, reconditioned with new tires, fluids and filters changed, same dealer serviced from new, no accidents reported, low miles. But is has navigation. Priced reasonably and the same $ as most non navigation Fits with similar backgrounds.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
I see zero downside.

The navigation head unit is no more likely to fail than any of the other modern touch screen systems. If it fails, you'll have the same choices whether you have navigation or not. You can replace with your choice of OEM head units or switch to aftermarket.

Personally, I love built in navigation systems because they are less distracting than cell phone based and work seamlessly with the radio, satellite radio, etc. Worst case is she doesn't like it and just doesn't use it.

If she finds she really likes it, but the maps aren't up to date enough for the area she's in, Honda sells updates for $150. That is a standard price in the industry. Same cost for my Ford. Well, it's the standard low cost. Mercedes, BMW, etc charge quite a bit more.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:55 PM
If it is the same price, I'd say go for it.
Does it add a reverse camera?
If so it's a no brainer.

I personally mainly use Waze for navigation so never ever use the built in ones in my cars.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Davidm5
If it is the same price, I'd say go for it.?..................I personally mainly use Waze for navigation .................
Ditto here!
Condition, history and low mileage should be the priority.
Waze is amazing! Their route adjustments to current traffic flows are extremely helpful. Should you decide to purchase, post your find.
Happy shopping.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
I rarely use my navigation since it is not updated but I think the car looks so much cleaner with the navigation which is why I wanted one. Lots of other things are more important (low mileage, accidents, maintenance) but I prefer the nav and mine has been trouble free.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Since you are buying used, if you are happy with the price? Who cares about the navigation?
You can use it....and if you like it...win.
If it fails?
Nobody can FORCE you to repair it.

Personally, I use an old Garmin unit, I really like. And it seems more and more people simply use aps on their smart phone.
So failure of a built in Nav unit seems like something NOT to worry about.

I have a nearly decade old Garmin. But it works great. Seems like the popularity of stand alone Navigation Units is declining as it's getting harder to find them. But I really like mine. I fear the day it stops working.
But since there still are a lot of options for how you would or could handle navigation in your vehicle, worrying about a built in, would be low on my list.
I've read more posts where people just don't like the built in option and prefer using and ap or a stand alone, than posts where people have complained about the Navigation failing.
Seems kind of binary, either you buy it...like the built in Nav...or do not. If you don't? Plenty of affordable options as to how to handle it, outside of complete replacement.

If your entire MFD fails? Then that's a separate issue. At that point you are probably replacing it, one way or another. Singular failure of the Navigation portion? I've actually never read a thread about that happening.