2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner - first upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:05 PM
Question New owner - first upgrades!

Hello everyone!

I just picked up a used '09 Fit with 124k KM (Canada) to use as my daily driver. I've owned a couple of Honda Civic's over the years, but have been driving a Jeep for the past 3-4 years.

So, it's a Canadian DX-A model, and the one thing I'm really missing is power door locks. So, the first thing I want to upgrade is power door locks / keyless entry (kids will need to get in/out of back seats and it's a pain to stretch around in the car to access the locks from inside...). There are quite a few wrecker yards in my area, so I'm hoping to pick up the required parts used.
  • This being a Canadian fit, I know I'll have to change out the door actuators (including the tailgate). There are a lot of Fit Sport models currently around at the wreckers, did these come standard with power door actuators?
  • Door wiring harnesses. Does anyone know if the Canadian Fits at least came wired for powered door actuators? Or will I have to replace the door wiring harnesses? (I was thinking of opening up one my doors to take a look).
  • Power door lock driver-side controls: I was thinking I could probably get my hands on a driver side power door lock button. Does anyone see any issues with this?
  • Various fuses - I understand that I'll need to plug-in a few extra fuses.
  • Keyless option: From what I gather, the keyless entry receiver is tied in with an immobilizer system somewhere in the steering wheel column. I should be able to get one off a wrecked car. I gather I'll have to go to a dealer to actually get it programmed. Will the car still drive with my old key until I get to the dealership?
  • Steering wheel column wiring harness : Does anyone know if the Canadian Fits came with a standard wiring harness to connect the immobilizer/keyless system?
  • Otherwise, can anyone confirm if the MICU is common, and will start working once I plug in everything?

Does anyone have any advice and/or recommendations that could make this go smoother?

Glad to be a Fit Freak!

Old 10-21-2018, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
By 160k km change the belt, battery, air filter, cabin air filter, plugs, ignition coils and get some touch up paint for any little dings.
Also be sure the wipers and tires/brakes are good.

That's what I did to my 09 Fit I bought on 9/28.
Well okay I have the belt but haven't put it on.
Car runs better already.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:52 PM
Updates (Oct-21):
  • This being a Canadian fit, I know I'll have to change out the door actuators (including the tailgate). There are a lot of Fit Sport models currently around at the wreckers, did these come standard with power door actuators? From the pictures I've seen, they do look standard, so there should be a lot of parts available.
  • Door wiring harnesses. Does anyone know if the Canadian Fits at least came wired for powered door actuators? Or will I have to replace the door wiring harnesses? (I was thinking of opening up one my doors to take a look). Opened up the driver's side front and rear doors, bad news. The wiring harnesses do not include the plug for the door actuators... This means I'll have to swap out the door wiring harnesses. Does anyone have some experience doing this, or a video showing any tricks to work in the tight spaces in the door?
  • Power door lock driver-side controls: I was thinking I could probably get my hands on a driver side power door lock button. Does anyone see any issues with this? Opening up the front door yesterday, this looks like it would be a simple component to replace.
  • Various fuses - I understand that I'll need to plug-in a few extra fuses.
  • Keyless option: From what I gather, the keyless entry receiver is tied in with an immobilizer system somewhere in the steering wheel column. I should be able to get one off a wrecked car. I gather I'll have to go to a dealer to actually get it programmed. Will the car still drive with my old key until I get to the dealership? I opened up the steering column yesterday, and it looks like the car already has the keyless receiver! Below is a picture I took of the markings. Can anyone confirm if this is the receiver?

• Steering wheel column wiring harness : Does anyone know if the Canadian Fits came with a standard wiring harness to connect the immobilizer/keyless system?I checked the color coding on the wires entering the part shown above, and it looks like it's fully wired... Yay!
  • Otherwise, can anyone confirm if the MICU is common, and will start working once I plug in everything? I haven't been able to find any information on this... Does anyone know the answer?
Thanks everyone!

Old 10-22-2018, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't consider changing the ignition coil packs unless you have ignition problems. 99.99% of the time, I bet the spark plug is loose, old, wrong heat range, or gaped wrong. Just my opinion

Old 10-25-2018, 06:39 PM
Update: Oct 25, 2018

So I opened up the doors and steering column casing, and have some updates:
  • I confirmed that I will need to change out the door latch to a powered unit in all of the doors except the front driver side door.
  • Sadly, I confirmed that all of the door wiring harnesses do not include the wires for the door latch actuators, the harnesses will need to be replaced.
  • Driver's door master door lock controller will need to replaced. This is an easy plug-in...
  • Fuses... I didn't look yet, but these should be easy to plug-in as needed.
  • Keyless option: Good news! It looks like even the DX-A Canadian fits came with the keyless receiver, and it is all plugged-in and ready to go!
  • Steering column wiring harness: It's all good! I checked this when I looked for the keyless receiver.
  • Still don't know for sure if the MICU will sort itself out when new parts are plugged in. I'm hoping so...
  • Although the doors do not include power latch wiring, I confirmed that the main cabin floor wiring harness that connects to the doors DOES include the required wires for powered latches.
Next steps:
  • I have purchased a used driver's door master power door lock controller and a used wiring harness for the front driver side door. I am going to install these (hopefully this weekend), which should help me answer the question of whether the MICU will sort itself out.
  • If that works, I'll then buy used wiring harnesses and door latch actuators for the other doors and I'll have power locks!
  • After all of that is done, I'll head to the dealership to get a key programmed to make everything keyless!
Question:
  • I have never replaced a door wiring harness (it looks like it'll be pretty tight in places, but I can work around that). Should I disconnect the batter when doing this, or should I be okay?
I'll keep you posted!

Old 11-02-2018, 11:03 AM
That's a lot of work to get just the auto door locks!
I am also new to the Fit family but not to the Honda and currently have 3 Hondas on our driveway.

I searched for 2 weeks straight before finding my 2010 Fit Sport manual with 184K kms for $2800.
What did you pick yours up for?
Sorry if this is o/t..

Old 11-02-2018, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
I have to agree that it seems like a lot of work to get power door locks. I don't doubt it's possible, and if it's approached as just being a fun project? Good Luck, it sounds eminently doable.
Final comment in the 2nd post, seems to suggest a desire not only for auto door locks, but also keyless entry, which I would also suspect is doable, but would include extra complication. If the Canadian DX model doesn't have auto door locks, I'm assuming Honda would not include the sensors in the door handles themselve, that allow for owners with keyless entry, to simply open the door if they have the fob on them, and also lock the vehicle by depressing the button on the handle.

At some point the effort and cost would make me wonder if simply getting a Honda already equipped with these options would of been a better baseline start.
But good luck with the project.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:07 PM
not to be a partypooper...but honestly...this sounds like way too much effort and money...almost along the lines of converting an automatic transmission to a manual.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:34 PM
That's just it though, using parts from wrecked cars, I don't think it's actually gonna cost very much!

As for effort, this is something I enjoy doing, so it's kind of like a hobby.

And yes it'll be worth it. When you have two small kids that have to constantly get in/out of the back doors, it's going to be a PITA to reach for the rear door locks from inside all the time...

Old 11-03-2018, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OddEntity
That's just it though, using parts from wrecked cars, I don't think it's actually gonna cost very much!
If so this video may help you. It is how to replace the motor inside them instead of buying new actuators, which seem to be around $200 to $300 new. The motors are like $10 a pop.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Thanks SiXiam, I will definitely check that out.

Okay, so a bit of an update. Yesterday I tore into the front driver's door to get some aspects of the system installed, but things aren't panning out as hoped.

What I did:
1) Replaced the wiring harness in the driver's door, so that I had wiring that would connect to the driver's door latch. Before installing the replacement harness, I sat down and checked connectivity of all of the wires.
2) Replaced the power window master switch, so that I would have a power door lock button. Before installing the replacement switch, I sat down and checked the function of all of the switches.
3) Added the following fuses: 27(30A), 36(15A), 38(15A). (See circuit diagram and fuse box attachments below)
4) Added a new driver's door unlock relay (Item #20 in connector to fuse/relay box index). (See circuit diagram and under dash relay box attachments below)

The plan was to get the system to a point where I could test if the power door lock signals were working correctly. By adding the components listed, I believe I should be able to activate the power door locks from the power window master switch. Only the driver's door is wired up with a proper harness and latch, but I was hoping to see the driver's door locking/unlocking. That would tell me if the system is working properly, and from there I would just start changing out the wiring/latches door-by-door time permitting. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any action on the driver's side door.

My current thoughts on the situation:
1) Does the MICU have to be reprogrammed or something to tell it to enable the power door locks functionality?
2) Is what looked like a power door latch in the driver's side door not actually a power latch? Is it completely missing the motor actuator or something?

I guess the best way to answer both of these questions will be to open up the door again, and check what signals are being sent down the door latch wiring (pink and light green wires per the circuit diagram). If I get a power signal, then the MICU is fine and there's something wonky with the latch. If I don't get any signal, then there's something going on with the MICU.

I've uploaded a few diagrams from the manual as follows (first time using that service, please let me know if it doesn't work...)
1) Circuit Diagram: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=74174133491332136758
2) Fuse Box Diagram: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=04689728129374786542
3) Under Dash Fuse/Relay Box: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=43465488395633744561

Does anyone have any other thoughts/ideas?

Cheers!
Odd Entity

Old 09-21-2023, 10:56 PM
How is it going?

Originally Posted by OddEntity
Thanks SiXiam, I will definitely check that out.

Okay, so a bit of an update. Yesterday I tore into the front driver's door to get some aspects of the system installed, but things aren't panning out as hoped.

What I did:
1) Replaced the wiring harness in the driver's door, so that I had wiring that would connect to the driver's door latch. Before installing the replacement harness, I sat down and checked connectivity of all of the wires.
2) Replaced the power window master switch, so that I would have a power door lock button. Before installing the replacement switch, I sat down and checked the function of all of the switches.
3) Added the following fuses: 27(30A), 36(15A), 38(15A). (See circuit diagram and fuse box attachments below)
4) Added a new driver's door unlock relay (Item #20 in connector to fuse/relay box index). (See circuit diagram and under dash relay box attachments below)

The plan was to get the system to a point where I could test if the power door lock signals were working correctly. By adding the components listed, I believe I should be able to activate the power door locks from the power window master switch. Only the driver's door is wired up with a proper harness and latch, but I was hoping to see the driver's door locking/unlocking. That would tell me if the system is working properly, and from there I would just start changing out the wiring/latches door-by-door time permitting. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any action on the driver's side door.

My current thoughts on the situation:
1) Does the MICU have to be reprogrammed or something to tell it to enable the power door locks functionality?
2) Is what looked like a power door latch in the driver's side door not actually a power latch? Is it completely missing the motor actuator or something?

I guess the best way to answer both of these questions will be to open up the door again, and check what signals are being sent down the door latch wiring (pink and light green wires per the circuit diagram). If I get a power signal, then the MICU is fine and there's something wonky with the latch. If I don't get any signal, then there's something going on with the MICU.

I've uploaded a few diagrams from the manual as follows (first time using that service, please let me know if it doesn't work...)
1) Circuit Diagram: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=74174133491332136758
2) Fuse Box Diagram: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=04689728129374786542
3) Under Dash Fuse/Relay Box: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=43465488395633744561

Does anyone have any other thoughts/ideas?

Cheers!
Odd Entity
Thank you for sharing your adventure. How did it go? It seems like the story ended. Is this still a work in progress? I would really love to know if you successfully got the driver's door done.

Truly appreciate your details. You are great.