2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Have I found a good deal (2013 Fit)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Have I found a good deal (2013 Fit)

Hi, I am new to this forum, so this will be my first post.

I have always wanted a Fit since I was a kid. I now have the funds and opportunity to purchase one. The particular model I am looking at is a blue 2013, 5 speed manual with 57.k miles on it. It drives very well and overall seems to be a very good vehicle in excellent condition. I am purchasing it from an Autonation dealer. They say the price is non-negotiable, after fees and taxes it comes out to $10,300. I believe this is slightly overprices, but I wanted to get your guys' opinion on this. Is this overpriced for what it is? I have searched everywhere and only found a handful of Fits that are within my price range and have this low mileage. Also, has anyone here ever attempted to negotiate with a dealer like Autonation that has "non-negotiable" prices? I did a little research and found that some people were actually able to get Autonation to come down on their price. Is this even worth it if I could get them to come down a little bit? Also, what sort of defects or major problems should I look for in this particular make and model? Everything appears to be very clean and well-maintained, good Carfax and I believe it has had only one previous owner. Thanks.

Edit: Looks like I made a mistake, turns out the car was priced at $8995 and is exactly $10,300 out the door, after taxes and fees and everything. As I said before, the car runs great and is in excellent condition, one owner and clean carfax. Should I be patient and wait for a better deal or take it? I appreciate all the helpful replies.

Last edited by Ogrelode; 10-22-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:26 PM
At OTD 11K I thinks it's fair. I would not be upsold any. Also depends on your finance. Are you taking there finance? What's the rate? PNC has great rates, and will give you a check to be written to the dealership.
LightStream also have a very decent loan program. Allows you to get an Unsecured loan... Meaning you get a deposit into your bank account for the amount and you write the check. Very tempting option and you now hold the title.
As for the deal, I think it's sold, as long as this is a cash out the door price... Dealerships have been know to inflate an instrest rate, inlew of a lower price tags.
AutoNation is a well know Auto giant and I personally would trust them... But I have never seen advertising a "deal".

Old 10-21-2018, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't do it. A base model manual just doesn't hold as much value as an automatic. Let the car sit on the lot a month or two then see if the price is still non-negotiable.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Flashesbuck
At OTD 11K I thinks it's fair. I would not be upsold any. Also depends on your finance. Are you taking there finance? What's the rate? PNC has great rates, and will give you a check to be written to the dealership.
LightStream also have a very decent loan program. Allows you to get an Unsecured loan... Meaning you get a deposit into your bank account for the amount and you write the check. Very tempting option and you now hold the title.
As for the deal, I think it's sold, as long as this is a cash out the door price... Dealerships have been know to inflate an instrest rate, inlew of a lower price tags.
AutoNation is a well know Auto giant and I personally would trust them... But I have never seen advertising a "deal".
I am paying in cash. The 11k is after taxes and fees and everything, out the door price. I am slightly concerned that it will be difficult to resell since it is a manual, however. Do you think it is worth it still?

Old 10-21-2018, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Bad idea for two very important reasons:

1. never buy from a dealer. They know nothing about the used car they are selling you, especially its repair/maintenance history
2. you are worried about reselling a car you haven't even bought yet??

There are tons of first and second generation Fits for sale, many for sale by owner. Find a seller that will tell you all about the history of the car. Carpool, bus, train, or fly if necessary; traveling any distance is worth driving home with peace of mind when you buy a car which has documentation and the opportunity to talk to the owner to answer all your tough questions. Don't just look for cars in your area.

If manual transmissions are your thing, I'm seeing only two 2013 sport models for sale by owner on cars.com right now. Both are priced below what you are being quoted and both have low miles. If I was in the market, I'd be calling about that white one for $8,000 as long as it had a clean title.

Last edited by BurntZ; 10-21-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Ogrelode
I am paying in cash. The 11k is after taxes and fees and everything, out the door price. I am slightly concerned that it will be difficult to resell since it is a manual, however. Do you think it is worth it still?
Should differently not be buying for the sole purpose of resale. But I can understand your concern. At the end of ownership, you want to be sure that you are not stuck with it. I can assure you, there are defiantly people out there, like myself, that specifically look for manual cars.
You need to remember, that a higher millage car with an automatic, tend to be less reliable. If im looking at Fits with 150K I can assume i may be facing some kind of issue over the next 75-100K. But with a manual, I would assume the most it would need is maybe a clutch replacement in the time.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
I may have missed the info, but I think we are missing two important factors...

1. What model Fit? Base, Sport, etc
2. Does Autonation provide a warranty at that price?

If it's not a Sport, walk away. Price is way too high. If it doesn't include a warranty, might as well save a bunch of money and buy from a private party or find one cheaper at a smaller lot.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SiXiam
I wouldn't do it. A base model manual just doesn't hold as much value as an automatic. Let the car sit on the lot a month or two then see if the price is still non-negotiable.
+1

If you're not in a rush to get it, this would be your best strategy.
Keep dropping by every 1-2 weeks to take another look at it, ask them if the price has come down, maybe take it for another spin, take a good look under the hood, the rims & tires, check every feature/button, take a look at the spare wheel, and EVERYTHING else that could potentially find any sort of issues, damages, worn components that would allow you to ask for a price reduction. And then WALK AWAY for it (even if you got a reduction), as hard as it may be for you, so the sales people see you as "lost customer" and lost opportunity to get rid of a stick-shift econo box.

Also tell them that you've noticed the car sitting in their lot for quite a while and that Americans are simply not buying manuals anymore.

Eventually they will come around and negotiate with you.
They are much more willing to negotiate with you if you buy it cash. And also this is likely a bad time for car sales, especially if you wait a few more weeks, as people are gearing up for X-mas expenses.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 10-22-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Double post - please delete.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Andrei_ierdnA

They are much more willing to negotiate with you if you buy it cash.
Opposite is true. Dealers want customers to finance as they make money from the financing side. Banks give the dealer a "kick back" for bringing them the business.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
this is not the case for the op, but I bought my gk5 from a mom & pop dealership/car lot. dealing with cash, did help with my ability to haggle and resulted in a lower purchase price

Old 10-22-2018, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
this is not the case for the op, but I bought my gk5 from a mom & pop dealership/car lot. dealing with cash, did help with my ability to haggle and resulted in a lower purchase price
Good point! My statement only applies to dealers that offer financing.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
so yeah, op should move on, and buy elsewhere. lol

Old 10-22-2018, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I may have missed the info, but I think we are missing two important factors...

1. What model Fit? Base, Sport, etc
2. Does Autonation provide a warranty at that price?

If it's not a Sport, walk away. Price is way too high. If it doesn't include a warranty, might as well save a bunch of money and buy from a private party or find one cheaper at a smaller lot.
First off, looks like I was mistaken with the pricing.$10,300 out the door, after taxes and fees. It is a base model, 51,688 miles, 5 speed manual. As far as I know there is no warranty option, although i'm not 100% sure, I will call them later to confirm. With the price lower than we originally thought, do you think it is worth it?

Old 10-22-2018, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
To each their own, but I wouldn't buy a base model.

Cruise control, rear sway bar, remote keyless, security system, body kit, leather steering wheel, upgraded sound system, etc makes the Sport money well spent in my book.

Once again...to each their own, but I don't like base models of base model cars. Give me a base model Porsche all day long, but I don't want the base model of the cheapest Honda sold in the US.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT and I are certainly on a role tonight. I totally agree with him. While the price may/may not be reasonable (I have not run the numbers in Kelly Blue Book or cargurus.com), the fact that it is from a dealer means they are trying to clear at least $3000 on the car. The only times I have dealt with a dealer, I always say the same thing: "show me the sales receipt and what you paid for that used car. I'll be glad to give you a proper profit and we can quickly be done with this transaction." When they laugh, I walk. Again, dealers know NOTHING about any used car on their lot, unless it miraculously happens to be a car that was bought new and serviced at that very same dealership. Very rare.