2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start 2009 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Remote Start 2009 Fit

Sorry I don't have any of my pictures, but it took awhile to gather info on how to put a remote start in my 2009 Fit, so I hope this helps someone. I've had it in now for a week. So awesome with the cold weather!
The one pic I attached shows the two wiring harnesses you need from a youtube video.
Total cost: $165.33.

I used the iDataStart HCX000A (eBay) and a wiring harness ADS-THR-HA2 (bestbuy). I believe this should work from a 2009 to a 2013. The eBay seller programmed the device for my model car (using a usb cable/software).
The remote start works by pressing lock on the normal keyfob 3 times. You can buy an antenna/remote for the model I bought to extend the range. I don't need it, because I have line of sight from work and at home.

It took me around 3 hours to do the install, but the time is divided kind of weird. Hardest part by far is getting the steering column cover off. It is just three screws, but it is held in good and the top piece locks in to the bottom.
I used a iFixIt guitar pick and my fingers so I didn't scratch anything. Got it with persistence, but I panicked at first and a YouTube video said you need to take off the steering wheel. I was going to stop right there. Do not take off the steering wheel!

For install I didn't put some wires in that the instructions say to. I did not connect the parking lights, horn or use the hood switch. The later is included in the package and is just a device to disable the remote start if the hood is lifted. When I started looking stuff up this confused me. I thought it was something with the hood release. It isn't. All I needed to connect was the wiring harness and I did not need to connect any wires individually. I would have to cut wires or splice in if I wanted to hook up these other things. Beware of the laws in your neck of the woods. Some require parking lights and others the hood switch. Still others limit the remote start time to 10 minutes. Default on mine is 15 minutes before the car shuts off, but it can be changed.

After removing the steering column the wiring you need sticks out like a rock. Just an ignition cable harness and a immobilizer harness (where the key goes in). Those two get plugged into the new harness, then the harness gets plugged back into those two jacks. This took less than ten minutes of time and I did not need to disconnect the battery. The harness then got connected to the control module. After this you program the module, not what I mentioned before to your model, this is programming so that the control module recognizes the signal from the cars brakes. The instructions for the device are good here. They are bare minimum for the wiring though.

I tested the remote start and boom first time it started. Took less than 45 minutes and brought a smile to my face!
So you might be wondering, I thought you said three hours? The rest of the time was devoted to mounting the control module, zip ties, and of course putting the steering column back together. I got real lucky in that the control module goes really nice in a space to the right in the fuse box. All secured with zip ties. It has a status light that will blink with problems, so it is nice to see that from the fuse box. The wiring was put as tight as I could get it to existing wiring with a lot of zips and I had to get creative a few times finding the right spot a couple times using two zips for one mount. This being under the dash is time consuming and painful with half my feet outside the car and my head under the dash. I've read some people take out the front seat, which would make this part easier, though likely wouldn't save much time as you think.

All in all I'm very happy with it. Only two issues I've noticed:
1) When the car starts it opens the drivers door. May be related to the failing power door lock motor. Not really an issue in that one can press lock to lock the door after the car starts. Fixing the motor may get another thread eventually...lol
2) Kind of obvious and not really a problem, but my car uses more gas. I mean duh, right. It is idling for an extra 20 to 30 minutes a day.

Last edited by SiXiam; 12-08-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:45 AM
The tip about removing the steering column is a huge help.
thank you so much for that.
for a nice 10 minutes i thought i was doing something really wrong there, but now i am encouraged to go out there and retry...
updates to come later.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:46 PM
So i did the installation today on my 2010 Honda fit.

ONE thing to add to the write-up above:
YOU NEED TO CUT THE BLACK LOOP in case of an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
sorry for the caps, this part of the instructions is mentioned nowhere in the manual, and i had to spend some time with their suport to figure this out.

Once done - the reso of the installation is the easiest thing to do.

Highly recommended!