2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windows Fogging up

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:55 PM
No I didn't ......... I will have to try that out, THanks!

Sounds very common that these blower motors crap out........ Is that true?

Old 12-18-2018, 11:24 PM
my blower motor burned out my resistor. only speed number 4 works. i re soldered it for fun and got full functionality back, which lasted about 4 days and it popped it again. new Chinese motor and resistor coming soon.

as for the fog...its probably mostly related to you personally. when i drive to the gym in the morning my windows have no fog. when i get out of the gym hot n sweaty and hop in my car to drive home (now in the winter) my windows fog in a matter of a couple minutes.

easy solution if you dont want to wait for the defroster or want the extra heat from it...just roll down your windows while you drive for like 3 seconds. bam.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:50 AM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=justus;1419720]No I didn't ......... I will have to try that out, THanks!/QUOTE]

The internal air management "door" makes an audible "snap" when it shuts on either position almost like it is spring loaded. Very "positive" sealing / tight system. I routinely exercise that door and periodically turn on the A/C just to circulate / warm things up even during the winter. "Move it or lose it"

Old 12-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Hmmmmm....!

Yeah, So true........."Move it or lose"

I will chck that and observe..... Very good to run the AC>>>>

SO what about when the defrost is on....... Does the AC compressor run in these Honda Fits?(like subaru does, so compressor doesn't sieze due to non-use?)

Old 12-29-2018, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
A/C runs when defrost is selected. This is true of most cars today. It's annoying to many (especially in colder climates) and there are threads on defeating this feature (requires removal of air selector control and disconnecting a wire).

This is more to dry the air and help defog the car (especially for those that don't switch to outside air) than maintain the compressor. Although running the A/C at least monthly even during the winter helps (if you don't use defrost) keep the seals lubricated.

I've found that closing the side air outlets during the winter helps. This forces more air through the defog/defrost vents below the windshield and on top of the dash at the sides and will help avoid fogging up even when not set on defog/defrost. That and using the heater outlet setting. Still on really rainy days I end up switching on the A/C and setting the temp to a warmer setting to keep the windows clear.

This is all defog 101 and not specific to Fits. It's funny watching people drive around with water dripping down the inside of their windows. Using the outside air setting avoids this most of the time. That and not parking on lovers' lane for prolonged periods.

Added bonus: change the cabin filter at least yearly. Buy this online (they're less than $25). Changing this is 5 minutes, no tools. It's a scam what shops charge to replace it for you. I usually change before the start of A/C season to improve the airflow. Don't ever remove the filter and run without one: this will result in plugging the thin passages through the A/C evaporator coil fins. The filter is to keep these clean and not for the passengers.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:46 PM
Good to know....

The side vents Meaning the round ones in the dash?

Old 12-30-2018, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
That's right. These always let some warm air out even when you don't have the upper outlets (normal corner A/C outlets) selected. Closing them will route more warm air to the window outlets (defog outlets) even when not in defog/defrost.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:04 PM
Thanks! good to know..... Felt like there was a little leakage thought them.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Living in Canada, I've found that my windows keep fogging up from November until April no matter what.
As such, I keep the air blowing on the windshield setting during the entire winter. As others mentioned above, this setting also engages the AC system, which helps extending it's longevity (use it or lose it).

Keeping the inside of the windows clean definitely helps a lot in reducing the fogging.

Also the inside cabin temperature makes a HUGE impact. Don't ever leave your car parked outside in the winter after your fan was blowing hot air inside the car, because the hot air will create condensation (fog) on the windows thanks of the cold air outside. You should reduce the temperature dial inside your car about 2-3 minutes before arriving at your destination.

Think of the glass of cold beer in the summer - the warm air creates condensation on your beer glass.

Lastly, make sure you kick your boots before getting inside the car if there's snow on the ground and remove as much snow & ice from your brush too, just to reduce the amount of water you bring inside the car.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 01-07-2019 at 01:01 PM.