2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Coil Packs

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Coil Packs

1) What is the Honda part number for coil packs for my 2013 Fit?

2) Is this a suitable replacement part:

NGK
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...3015271&jsn=16

or this

DENSO
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&jsn=15&jsn=15 ?

3) What's the best place to buy this stuff? HondaPartsNow seems expensive. RockAuto seems better, but I have never used them before.

Thanks.

P.S. This is going to be my ask-a-bunch-of-dumb-questions thread, so I may be posting about other things related to spark plugs, coil packs, cowl clips, etc.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
I would check the P/N on one installed in the car now and get the same one.

I buy from HondaPartsNow, Bernardi, Amazon, eBay. Whoever has the best price on a true OEM part. RockAuto is a good source too.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
I used autozone coil packs on my S2000, the duralast parts were literally OEM parts in a different box. Fit MAY be the same, worth a look if nothing else.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:37 AM
Any of those will work .I ended up useing the Hitachi IGC0073 Ignition coils , they worked fine. You have to check around I got these on Amazon for $ 25 each. Amazon has some screwy priceing algorithms that you can beat ; if you’re not in a hurry for parts . Put things in your shopping cart and let them sit there for a while you’ll see the prices will start dropping on certain items . I’ve gotten some ridiculously good deals by doing this. Just a few examples ,for the Fit; BeckArnley front brake pads $14, Delco rotors for $20, Bando serpentine belt $9, Gates hoses top $8 bottom $11, wheel bearings , BeckArnley for our civc $22. Dorman condenser fan assembly $28 for our Crv.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback. This job is making me a little nervous, mostly because of the cowl removal. I've done plugs and coil packs on my '08 Fit, but haven't touched them on the '13.

1) I want to have the replacement parts bought and ready to go in before I start the job. This is my daily driver. I have to get this job done in one day. I can't go back and forth trying to figure things out.

2) I want to acquire OEM replacement parts only. I do not want to take chances on a part that "will fit" or "will work." It has to be the exact same part as the Honda part. Otherwise, I would rather pay through the nose and buy the OEM part from the dealer. Reason? Because I do not want to have to do this job twice.

3) Who makes the coil packs for Honda? Is it like the spark plugs, where it could be NGK or DENSO?

4) Is there one online site that is best for OEM or OEM-equivalent parts? (By "OEM-equivalent," I mean that it is the same part, but with a manufacturer's part number and name on it instead of a Honda part number and packaging.)

I hope everyone will chime in. I need the moral support.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
I'm in the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it group. Coil packs aren't maintenance items. There are 4 of them, if one fails it will throw a code and you replace the bad one. It won't leave you stranded. It's better than V6s that share one coil pack between 2 cylinders so if one goes out you lose 2 cylinders rather than just one.

I'd look for the cheapest Honda part if I were going to replace mine. I usually check Bernardi and then google the part number for price comparison. I usually end up getting stuff at Bernardi: genuine Honda parts, good prices, fast shipping, good website.

If you're at the point of replacing plugs then you're also at the point of adjusting valves. This is a maintenance item.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Honda gets their coils from Denso, NGK or Hitachi, just depends on which market your are in and the supplier at the time. If you stick with 1st teir parts you will be fine. I do try to use genuine Honda parts if the price is close or less (yes that happens).
The reson I changed mine was I bought a used 2012 with 91k and it was neglected by the previous owner. Mechanic Special a really good deal. It had intermittent miss fires on 2 cylinders, leaking crank seal, oil pan and valve cover and needed the valves adjusted, front brake pads gone , eating rotors, 3 different brands of bald tires, bad bearing And Cracked radiator. So I did a complete 100k service plus a lot of other things while I have everything apart and on the lift. The car was a Christmas present for my daughter, who just started driving and going to college , so I wanted to make sure anything that was questionable was addressed.

Last edited by JerrySFL; 01-01-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 01-01-2019, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
@Steve244: Duly noted. I will rethink the coil pack replacement. I do need a valve adjustment, but I thought I would get in there to check the tightness of the plugs first, since loose spark plugs is a recurring issue on the forum. But your way is clearly better. One time in and out.
@JerrySFL: Thanks for this information. It is valuable to me.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:55 AM
Do not forget you need a little Honda bond or RTV for the gasket , just a dot at the chain case seams. The Honda gaskets are excellent quality silicone an should not need replacement, and clean your throttle body while its off. You also need to order the blue cowl clips, they are plastic and will break when you pull them, Amazon sells a bag of ten for $5.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JerrySFL
Do not forget you need a little Honda bond or RTV for the gasket , just a dot at the chain case seams. The Honda gaskets are excellent quality silicone an should not need replacement, and clean your throttle body while its off. You also need to order the blue cowl clips, they are plastic and will break when you pull them, Amazon sells a bag of ten for $5.
These?

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-02-2019, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
I would buy from MajesticHonda or something like it if you just want OEM parts.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:42 PM
Yes, those are the ones, you need 9 so one bag of 10 or 20 is good just incase you forget something and have to pull the trim again, like plugging back in the wiper motor or reconnecting the washer line (ask me how I know). They’re a lot cheaper from Amazon or FleaBay than Honda $1.47 each , If you are already placeing a Honda order then make sure and order 2 each of these Clip, Cowl Top - Honda (90602-TK6-A00) $2.84 each you will need 2- these are the little white platic retainers that go on the side trim of the windshield cowling, if your car is old or when you push the trim back they will probably break and it’s a dealer only item .