2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-rev

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Man totally worth it! I have them on mine and always feel bad when at others homes and I accidentally slam it shut haha
For sure a priceless home mod... The remodel contractor before we purchased the home used them in two of three bathrooms, which meant one bathroom ALWAYS getting slammed. And they have to be closed due to two cats that insist on drowning their toys in the middle of the night. This keeps them focused on only drowning things in their own water bowl.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
So you are saying the RPM's seem to fall considerably quicker? Would you say it's the same way upon engine acceleration with the clutch in or in neutral? Still anxiously waiting to mess with the one I have. We have been in and out near zero temps and my garage is the same temp as the outdoors... LOL. Plus chores that come with new home ownership. (fun stuff, like installing soft close toilet seats...)
installing jdm toilet seat (bidet) tonight.... I totally 1 up'd ya on the home owner game!

temps in so cal have hit the 30s recently .... for the first time in my life.... I had to deal with a door that took effort to open at 4 am, and windows that wouldnt roll down, and wiper blades frozen stuck.

BACK ON TOPIC:
so , whats the verdict? increased response?

Old 02-11-2019, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
The placebo is a powerful drug. What I intended to communicate by saying it made me think of a lighter flywheel isnt that the rpms drop faster (maybe they do), rather it seems like the engine is under less of a load. It seemed most apparent when letting off the gas in low gears. Dont feel that same jolt forward, its not very significant anymore.
I'd recommend trying it out and intend to chime back in after more time behind the wheel/swapping back to stock for comparison​​​​​​.
The current mounting position is super quick and completely unobstructive, so I'd recommend it if you only have a half hour or so, and not much hose. Will also update with a better mounting location, but not this week.
​​​​​​

Old 02-12-2019, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pyts
The placebo is a powerful drug... ​​​​​​
LOL, yes it is... That is why I am hopeful to put some data behind this in the very near future. I just hit the order button on this:
Gauge Gauge

I should have the gauge by Thursday evening and if I have time I should have some baseline data as soon as later that evening. This will come from me removing the dipstick and attaching this gauge to the dipstick tube. . This will give me vacuum readings and any pressure reading that could dome from the crankcase.

As for testing 0-60 or maybe 1/8 mile times... I really need for that stuff to be back to back so the conditions are the same. Thanks to the ScanGauge2, I should be able to very accurately get this info and start with equal opportunity such as headwind, ambient temp, intake temp, fuel in the tank, etc... Also my car is CVT, so simply flooring it should give repeat runs. Also I'll try to drive around enough that even the CVT is the same temperature.

This should allow me to rest assured that:
  1. Not building more pressure in the crankcase than before
  2. Not pulling so much vacuum that it's going to hurt the engines oiling ability or that it will suck inward on a gasket.
  3. I can adjust the check valve side of the unit to make sure vacuum is where I want it to be.
  4. Research has told me that 8 inches of mercury vacuum is the lucky number for race car engines.
  5. I expect vacuum to be higher at idle and and I actually expect it to be difficult to get much vacuum. This is because of reading I have done about high powered engines using actual vacuum pumps because of the HP gains they can get when they reach that 8-10" of mercury number at WOT and high RPM.
Bring on Thursday through the weekend, and wish me luck. I don't want to hurt a car with 21,000 miles on it.

p.s. I am actually hopeful that this will free up rotating energy and allow for an increase in fuel economy, not just a micro second off of 0-60.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 02-12-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
Bring on Thursday through the weekend, and wish me luck. I don't want to hurt a car with 21,000 miles on it.
Good luck!

Old 02-13-2019, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Special note if reading any of these links: People that talk about gains are not talking about gains on a little 1.5 Earth Dreams.

I am storing this here in case anyone comes a long and wonders where my mind is at... LOL More may be added in the future... I have read far more than this but just decided to keep track. If I come across stuff I have already read, it will for sure be added.

Post #3 specifically: https://www.theturboforums.com/threa...vacuum.362912/

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/quick...essure-part-1/

CRANKCASE VACUUM

You can Google this one too.. " Krank Vent Crank Case Vacuum System " It seems to be the T-rev for the T-rev became known.

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...ning-the-flow/

Crankcase Vacuum Facts - Racing Engines & High Performance Oil Pumps

Last edited by CyclingFit; 02-15-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
read that d sport link .... I WONDER .... if I were to slap on a breather filter onto my oil catch can, would I get a similar effect to this little device?

Old 02-13-2019, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
read that d sport link .... I WONDER .... if I were to slap on a breather filter onto my oil catch can, would I get a similar effect to this little device?

I removed pic
Letting out as much pressure as possible is a good thing. But, a vacuum leaking filter at the catch can also means stuff only gets out when there is pressure (hard acceleration). Versus being sucked out by intake vacuum that comes from the intake manifold, through your catch can and through your PCV system. Our little T-Rev is supposed to let the pressure out, but still allow a controllable, via check valve, amount of fresh air in. Thus allowing the PCV side of the engine to still evacuate the bad emissions and stuff that can get past the rings. Additionally the dream of the T-Rev is to create a small amount of vacuum that lowers blow by pressures. So I would vote against it on a street car.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
smart people! An oil catch is thinkin for sure, this does seem like a delicate balance though. But hey! Good good news! This think can replace your catch can and let you keep your oil in the engine.. well, supposedly. I gotta check mine to make sure no oil is seeping through, but no air went through when the lady tried to play it like a flute. Til she figured she could flip it around, then it became a flute...

Unintentionally ran a funny test for this thing last night. Our little pup, Dakota, accompanied me when going to pick the lady up from work. She puts her paws up on the sill to stick her head out of the window. No matter how hard I try to keep my clutchwork smooth, I always send her sliding off. ​​​​​​Last night, she never slipped. Not one bit, even when entering first gear. Those energy drinks keep the feet nice and jittery, nothin' about my driving changed over the years, let alone yesterday. It does, to say the very least, smooth out transition between gears, and it does that by regulating case pressure. That says to me its always smoothing things out.

Sounds like BMW might have been on to something when they set up their stock PCVs to maintain negative pressure.
T-Rev "works in mysterious ways"

Old 02-15-2019, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
Tool is here!

Tomorrow, maybe this evening, I should be able to get some baseline data regarding crankcase pressures. Last night when my new tool arrived, I ran out to see what diameter hose I need to adapt the gauge onto the dipstick tube. I started the car with no dipstick and I was shocked at the amount of air being pushed out if the hole. I truly expected anywhere from nothing to vacuum, but never puffs of crankcase air and gasses.

Update:
Stopped by the parts store at lunch and test fit my adapter hoses. I will be shortening all hose, especially the large hose. I don’t want the larger volume to skew the results anymore than necessary. Also, I may attach momentarily to the intake manifold and see how the vacuum compared to what my ScanGauge2 is reading from the sensor.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 02-15-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Zero. Now that sounds like a good number for cc pressure, and actually makes more sense than negative. Thank you!!

Old 02-15-2019, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Initial testing has really left me just as confused as when I started. I had hope that Honda in their pursuit for great fuel economy had optimized the crankcase size, the breather, and the PCV to eliminate pressure spikes. I think they achieved that goal. The video footage is rough because of how the camera was being held and I was not about to accelerate the car and give priority to anything other than driving the car.

2018 GK EX CVT in Sport Paddle Shift: Zero performance modifications to the car

From here.... I think the only thing I can hope for is that installing the valve will lower the pressure into a vacuum state and give some type of gains. Also, I mentioned maybe doing an 1/8 mile, but that may get put on hold.

1st pass with no pressure rise. Keep in mind I can blow into the gauge and get a reading around 3psi. So I know it works....

2nd pass with no pressure rise.

Just wanted an extra video of going through the fake gears

Revving in park. Gauge goes smooth, which is an ideal scenario, meaning good-smooth pressure inside the crankcase.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 02-15-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Oh man, were these with or without the t-rev?
also.. the heck did you mount those gauges. I mean. Dont tell me you ran a pressure sensor and drilled through the firewall n all that.. cuz thats not a lazy man's errand..
​​​​​

Old 02-15-2019, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Oh man, were these with or without the t-rev?
also.. the heck did you mount those gauges. I mean. Dont tell me you ran a pressure sensor and drilled through the firewall n all that.. cuz thats not a lazy man's errand..
​​​​​
Hi Pyts! I am still without the T-rev installed. I have a pretty good idea for mounting it, but it will still take a few supplies I do not have yet.

This test was done with maybe a 4" piece of 5/8" hose that is clamped onto the plastic dipstick tube. The end going to the gauge was stepped down to 1/4" and ran out of the corner of the hood by the windshield (making sure to not clamp it) and then through the passenger side window. It has about 10 feet of 1/4 hose.... I was considering going shorter, but when I saw that gauge was sensitive enough to vibrate and go smooth, then I knew or assumed the hose was not going to hurt anything.

I really do have great hopes to see a bit of vacuum.

Lastly, It still seems odd to me that it's such a flat line, but even while odd, it is possible.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Nice job! Hah, immediately thought it was a permnant fixture. While you were coming up with all that smart guy stuff I was digging my car out of the front yard after it sank so deep it high-centered. All entirely my fault, fun for the neighbors though.
Engine and tranny sure got a workout, n so did the face of the passenger front wheel.. which I now know for certain to be the powered wheel.

Must say I'm impressed with both what you've done and with Honda!
After the spark plugs and the not so good struts I was starting to lose faith.

Havent gotten around to the order for the gauge yet. Got juuust enough saved up for that rear sway bar, finally... waiting to see what breaks before I can click the pay now button. Still, the gauge will happen.
I'd really like to hear about your mounting plans when you can. The ones in the pictures I found are not only a little silly, but also slightly complicated since the shiny new knock-off PCV doesnt have the same shaped mounting bracket as the real deal.

Mr.CyclingFit, always a pleasure sir. Big thanks for the efforts and updates!

Old 02-20-2019, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member

Old 02-21-2019, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan

Honestly I have big hopes for Thursday. My day starts off by taking my wife to the spine clinic... The tiny little okay part is that I will take the entire day off of work. I think I will be home by noon and keeping myself reasonably close to the house. I’m hopeful Thursday is the day to see if this valve can reduce pressure or create vacuum.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Is the wife okay, man? Spinal issues seem to be going around, specially with the severe shortage of good chairs in the world. I'm hoping the humor isnt out of line.

been busy over here too. lady's health issues. First seizure in like, 6 months, followed up with bronchitis and an infected tattoo
I'll get back to the T-REV too, but honestly, based on how the car feels, I like it. I believe there was an improvement and would suggest pickin' one up. Just need to check it for letting oil through which'll only take a minute. If thats all it does it'd be worth it, no?

Old 02-22-2019, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Is the wife okay, man? Spinal issues seem to be going around, specially with the severe shortage of good chairs in the world. I'm hoping the humor isnt out of line.

been busy over here too. lady's health issues. First seizure in like, 6 months, followed up with bronchitis and an infected tattoo
I'll get back to the T-REV too, but honestly, based on how the car feels, I like it. I believe there was an improvement and would suggest pickin' one up. Just need to check it for letting oil through which'll only take a minute. If thats all it does it'd be worth it, no?
You're right on about the lack of good chairs... The wife is doing great, all things considered... We actually got good news. Two years ago a surgery fixed an issue, and now there is a chance there is a different, but more treatable issue that is muscle related.

VERY sorry to hear about a seizure issue. There cannot be too many things more scary.

About your oil, I highly doubt you would have any oil issue if you did not have any issue before. Good to check, but most likely any oil will leave on the PCV side. I am hopeful I can run over to the part store today for a few fittings... I cannot believe I have put this off so long, it is very unlike me. I guess getting older and being responsible is having this effect on me. Years ago, I would have gone to the garage at midnight and taken care of this.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
You're right on about the lack of good chairs... The wife is doing great, all things considered... We actually got good news. Two years ago a surgery fixed an issue, and now there is a chance there is a different, but more treatable issue that is muscle related.

VERY sorry to hear about a seizure issue. There cannot be too many things more scary.

About your oil, I highly doubt you would have any oil issue if you did not have any issue before. Good to check, but most likely any oil will leave on the PCV side. I am hopeful I can run over to the part store today for a few fittings... I cannot believe I have put this off so long, it is very unlike me. I guess getting older and being responsible is having this effect on me. Years ago, I would have gone to the garage at midnight and taken care of this.
​​​​​Getting a feeling its pretty serious. From the positive angle, its a good thing that you're there to help her.. If you'd like we can bounce some ideas regarding the issue back and forth via PM. I'd understand if this doesn't interest you.

The epilepsy was really rough for six years. Her current dosages of medications are yeilding results these past two.. finally. The one decent part of the issue is the resulting amnesia. Clears out a whole two days for good. Works kinda like a reset button for body and brain.

I'm not anticipating oil issues, but some folks have made mention of oil loss without this new contraption, so its really for them.
No idea where you're coming from with the age thing. staying seventeen over here, just gettin uglier.

Quick Reply: T-rev