2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheaper plastic clips for the cowl cover of the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:24 PM
Cheaper plastic clips for the cowl cover of the Fit

After removing the cowl cover on my 2013 FIT I noticed that four out of the nine plastic clips that hold it onto the car were damaged enough that I didn't want to reuse them. Honda wants more than $5 each for them.

I've seen posts where someone will go to great lengths to avoid removing the cowl cover so the problem of forking over next months mortgage payment to Honda for a few pieces of plastic can be avoided. It looks like its almost not possible to remove a cowl cover without damaging a few of these clips. I thought if I could find an aftermarket source and had a box standing by, I'd feel better when it comes to looking at the spark plugs or O2 sensor, etc.

This is what the clips in question look like:

The Honda part number is 9060-2TA-0003

Here's a diagram from the Service Manual for this FIT. The clips are pointed to by the triangles in the diagram, and they are located in a row near the windshield on the bottom of the cowl ("A" in the diagram). They hold the cowl onto what Honda calls the "under-cowl panel" which is "C" in the diagram.

By entering the Honda part number on eBay I found I could buy 20 of them for $10. The seller would sell 1, 10, 20, or 100 pieces.

I wasn't so successful locating an alternate source for some of the other clips I damaged. I'd feel even better about servicing my Fit if I had some of these in stock. There are two of these clips, and they hold the "hood hinge covers" in place. The Service Manual picture shows a side view of one of these clips as "Clip, 1". The location is pointed to by the red triangle:

The Honda part number is 90602-TK6-A00. The Honda parts guy choked when he saw the price Honda was going to make him charge me for the ones I ordered ($7 each), so he wrote up the purchase as if I was entitled to a mechanics discount. They still cost just a bit less than $5 each.

If anyone knows of a source for a more reasonably priced Honda 90602-TK6-A00 clip, let us know.... I did locate more reasonably priced ones at Honda part suppliers online, but shipping costs for such a small order made them as expensive as my local Honda dealer's price. I'll try to remember when I'm ordering something expensive from an online Honda part supplier to see what it costs for them to throw in a number of these clips.

I had an easier time locating aftermarket clips for the "splash shield" under the engine compartment. These seem to be available from a number of sources. I liked the ones I found as they had a metal insert just like the ones I damaged. They were on eBay listed as Front Bumper Clip W/Metal Insert 91505-S9A-003

Most of the clips holding the splash shield in place were this size. My Fit had two that were a bit longer than this. I managed to salvage one I had and one of these fit where the other longer one was. Does anyone know where a comparable clip that is a bit longer is available?

When I was working repairing my engine harness, which was damaged by rats chewing up some wires and a connector, I would have had an easier time if I had access to the push mount cable zip ties that Honda uses. There were several types, some that fit into square holes and some that fit into round holes. I didn't spend much time looking for replacements as I was able to get them to release without damage but fiddling with them was a PITA.

Here's a pic of one of the replacements I ordered but didn't receive in time for them to come in handy this time. These would work if there was an 8 mm hole. I thought there were some 8 mm holes some of the existing zip ties were using....

Here's a pic of another type:

These also didn't arrive in time to be used. But if there is a hole they would lock into, a regular el cheapo zip tie like the hundreds I have lying around can be used with these.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:28 PM
Old 02-16-2019, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
You're not the only one who has encountered this issue.....definite pain in the butt since there's not a lot of aftermarket support on the 90602-TK6-A00 clip.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:48 AM
Those little white clip for the hinge covers usually do not break when you pull them, but they are unique , I cut down other clips to make it work while my were on order. Just remember to order some anytime you are ordering Honda parts in bulk (Cheap Honda parts or College Hills Honda), ,they run under $3.00 that way. Also its a good idea to keep a list of those little odds and ends parts you will need, like the air box clips that like to break, brake pedal bumper, washer lid, prop rod retainer, etc.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
I bought these as well:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01B97MN..._AtdACbZ95D0RJ

It comes in a pack of 2. I plan on taking the cowl off again soon and will most likely bust everything and need to use them.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:54 AM
I bought a giant pack of assorted clips from Aliexpress. Way cheaper than OEM or your local parts place (like NAPA) if you don't mind the shipping time.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for this! Oh and the hood hinge clips, I ditched them. If they dont seat right when putting the hinge covers on, you lose the covers. Lost 2 so far, now no white clips and theyre staying put.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:06 AM
Threads old but I’d like to reiterate how you HAVE to buy cowl clips! I bought the after market20 pack for 6 bucks and they work great, snap hard and hold tight. I removed the cowl first time in 10 years to do the valves( only 105k) and broke all but 3. Then had to redo the valves cause the specs I used was too loose so broke another 3 but had some to spare! Now the white ones on the hinge covers, yup broke both and I have trim pulling set so doesn’t really matter and I’m walking down the road today to hopefully find my cover lol. They do have there own tabs but that stupid clip is needed if your driving over 30mph. However that clip is “special” and for 3 bucks more you can have a brand new cover w/clip. I don’t get it? But hey, that’s planned obsolescence.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
I broke every single one doing plugs last year. I just used a couple zip ties and that worked fine.

I used to do a 4 hour round trip commute on the highway, and got the car in the 100 mph neighborhood after zip tying and the cowl is fine.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
A few words dropped out of your post which the moderator fixed
Originally Posted by punx45

PROBABLY COULD HAVE got the car in the 100 mph neighborhood after zip tying and the cowl is fine.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
I used to cruise 80 on the highway and could easily push it to 85 90. I’ve done 100 with two people in the car.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
hehehe.

These are peppy little cars indeed.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not having any luck finding aftermarket clips. Every one of the links mentioned above are "Unavailable".

Any other options out there that anyone knows of?
Thanks

Old 08-26-2020, 05:34 PM
Which clips are you talking about, the Blue cowl clips? I can get them on Amazon pack of 40 is like 10 bucks see below.

Rexka Cowl Vent Retainers for Honda Acura 90602-TA0-003 (Pack of 40)

Brand: Rexka Brand: Rexka
4.4 out of 5 stars
8 ratings 8 ratings
Amazon's Choicefor "
honda cowl clips honda cowl clips
"
Price: $10.99 & FREE Returns Save 7% on 2 select item(s).
Shop items Shop items
  • Cowl Vent Retainers
  • Top Head Size: 10mm x 14mm Bottom Head Diameter: 16mm Stem Diameter: 8mm Stem Length: 13mm
  • Replaces Honda And Acura: 90602-TA0-003 TSX & ZDX and Honda Accord & Fit 2008 -
  • Blue Nylon

Old 08-30-2020, 06:25 PM
Banned
Gotta make sure you leave enough slack to be able to spin that monitor 90 deg. for playing snaptube vidmate word to pdf some Pinball FX Son!

Last edited by winkybil; 08-31-2020 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, those look like the ones. When I looked before everyone was out. I just ordered a pack.

Thank you so much