2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling automatic AC on defrost

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
Just did mine. Work from the passenger side (North American). A tool like the one Virtual used would be perfect, but anything rigid enough and with an elbow in it will do to easily remove the panel. I used a tiny hex key, and worked from the bottom of the panel. Had it off in seconds with almost no force. The switch is on the driver's side, but find it by looking from the passenger's side. The connector on the back of the switch is rather large--maybe a bit more than an inch long--white, and has two wires coming from it. Just take a smallish screwdriver and gently pry it away from the back of the switch and you're done. Many thanks to Roger's Fit (Btw, how on earth did you know to do this? Or should I not ask.)

Thanks for more info...I had trouble seeing the connector...(cramped quarters), but it came off in a second, once found.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
I did this before heading home from work. It's -18c today and seems to really melt the ice off the windshield a lot quicker than usual. Here's a few pics of my workthough.
link

Old 01-07-2010, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by minisushi
I did this before heading home from work. It's -18c today and seems to really melt the ice off the windshield a lot quicker than usual. Here's a few pics of my workthough.
link

LOL....I like the Beanie on the shifter...hahahaha

Rep for the beanie...!

Old 04-18-2010, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
exactly

Originally Posted by SCBarren
I see a screw holding that piece in

Ahh, I was going the wrong way, you have to push down on that little lip on the connector.

DONE!

Yay! No more A/C gas wasting with my defroster.

Thanks!
Did this mod. today. The off-set screwdriver suggestion was great, but prying the cover panel off with a very small hex wrench is also fine. Once you get one of the lower corners pried out, you won't need much force to free the other tabs.

And whoever said that getting into the right position is tough, understated the case. I could only see the outer end of the connector by contorting majorly under the dash with my butt out the passenger door. Strong reading glasses needed, too. When you find the connector, SCbarren's tip is crucial: it has a tiny lip at the end. Fit a flat screw-driver blade against the connector body and pry down on the lip by levering the driver shaft agains the edge of the cut-out in the panel. The connector should pop free---mine did. I'm not gonna worry about re-connection, because I doubt I can bend into the shape needed to see the connection point!

In my climate, I've always managed better by being able to control AC and defrost separately. Big thanks to RogersFit for this great tip!

Old 05-02-2020, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Roger's Fit
Ok. There have been some interest in disabling the automatic and forced use of AC while in defrost. I have done this, without cutting any wires, and you can still press the AC button to turn on the AC while in defrost.

I have moved the link to n external website, as i am taking my hand at web page writing:

see the link in my signature line.
I don't see a link

Old 05-02-2020, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Anov229
I don't see a link
Ten year old thread, guy hasn't logged in since 2016. You might be waiting a while...

Old 05-02-2020, 09:56 PM
Cap
5 Year Member
Years ago, I did Roger's disabling fix.
Sorry, I have no pics and no longer own the car, but you have to remove an extra wire from the back of the switch. It was very easy to do and impossible to screw up, as it is the only extra wire. It makes it so that the AC only comes on for defog if you press the button. If you can get up behind the dash, or if you can pull the switch out, the wire just pulls off. Tape it up or cap it off (for cleanliness) and you are good to go. Gas saver if you live in the damp northwest like I do.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Cap
Years ago, I did Roger's disabling fix.
Sorry, I have no pics and no longer own the car, but you have to remove an extra wire from the back of the switch. It was very easy to do and impossible to screw up, as it is the only extra wire. It makes it so that the AC only comes on for defog if you press the button. If you can get up behind the dash, or if you can pull the switch out, the wire just pulls off. Tape it up or cap it off (for cleanliness) and you are good to go. Gas saver if you live in the damp northwest like I do.
After a lot of searching, I found this. Is this (first link) what you did? Also, did you happen to do the Independent fog light fix as Roger has also described? Is it similar to this (2nd link)? It looks like a first gen, but I have a 2nd gen. Any idea if it'll still work?

Honda Fit Air Conditioning in Defrost Mode

http://www.diymyhonda.com/fit/independent-fog-w-original-switch/

Last edited by Anov229; 05-03-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:26 PM
Cap
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Anov229
After a lot of searching, I found this. Is this (first link) what you did? Also, did you happen to do the Independent fog light fix as Roger has also described? Is it similar to this (2nd link)? It looks like a first gen, but I have a 2nd gen. Any idea if it'll still work?

Honda Fit Air Conditioning in Defrost Mode

http://www.diymyhonda.com/fit/independent-fog-w-original-switch/

That is different from the original thing that I read but it looks good. I never tried the independent fog light mod but I know with Ford F150s, it is a popular thing to do. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2021, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
How do I find your link.

Ok, so I'm not so tech savvy, but I would like to read more about how you stopped the ac/defrost. Can you talk me through finding that link. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:55 AM
The basic premise of this mod seems flawed. They run the AC with the defrost to dry the air before they heat it and blow it on the windshield Otherwise, in some situations the defrost will cause the windshield to fog up.