2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

2009 Fit Sport Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Unhappy 2009 Fit Sport Accessories

Hello Fit Freaks,

Old Guy here, 60, with Tricked out 2007 Fit Sport, Skunk 2 exhaust, Lowering Springs, Pillar guages, and Fujita Cold Air with AEM Filter.

Just bought a new 2009 Fit Sport, and got some Fit Mats, and a rear Cargo Cover.

just a little observation. The Floor mats and rear cargo Cover were easy to install on the 2007, HOWEVER, the cargo cover on the 2009 requires locating and Drilling 5 holes on the back of the back seats for some funky snaps, that hardly serve any purpose, and even worse, the driver's side floor mat requires that you get a Knife, and cut away part of the rubber mat AND Slit the Carpet behind the rubber mat to install some Plastic thing that locks the floor mat into position.

At best it is a terrible design and NOT up to typical Honda standards what so ever. I find it very hard to believe that Honda would not pre-install something for both items, and not require drilling or cutting up a brand new car.

I am dissappointed in Honda this time . It's not major but if the trend continues this is not a good sign.

And I otta know because this is a list of Hondas I have owned. last ones current:

1990 Civic Si
1992 Plelude
1993 Civic vx
1995 Acura Integra (2)
1995 Del Sol
1996 Civic dx hatch
2005 RSX type s

Still
1993 Civic si
1998 Civic dx coupe
1999 Civic si
2003 RSX Type S
2006 Civic si
2007 Fit Sport
2009 Fit Sport

Old 04-19-2009, 10:13 PM
I get what you are saying on that and I have installed the floor mats. Wasn't that big of a deal to me to cut the slits and it felt as though Honda designed the carpet to be cut there. It is better than a lot of cars that I have owned which don't even give instructions on where or how to cut for the mats. They just expect the mats to sit there and not move, lol. I personally think that all fits should come with the mats at least pre-installed unless ordered otherwise by the customer.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
the rear cargo shelf requires no drilling, just poking around, and then the snaps screw in...

college hills honda is awesome!
Episode #152 - 2nd Generation Fit Cargo Cover Installation

Old 10-21-2009, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
My concern with those screws are that in the long run - they may run to the front and poke my passengers at the back... I just cut them off...

Originally Posted by 90crxfreak
the rear cargo shelf requires no drilling, just poking around, and then the snaps screw in...

college hills honda is awesome!
Episode #152 - 2nd Generation Fit Cargo Cover Installation

Old 12-01-2009, 03:03 PM
hmm... my carpet took all of 2 minutes to install. not really a big deal imo. just follow the diagram that came with the carpets and cut where honda already put a recess in the floor at. And just toss in the other 3.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
I looked at some honda fit videos made for honda dealership mechanics, and there were a lot of changes compared to the 08 model... in terms of repair and replacement of many parts. For example, motor mounts use one-time-use only bolts which have to be torqued in the right sequence...

It isn't like a car from the 90s.... this thing is super complicated and advanced.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Don't drill your seatbacks!

I hope you read this before you get out the drill--you'll be even less happy then!

Just do exactly as the instructions say and measure to locate the existing holes. The instructions that come boxed with the cover are not adequate--you need the compelte instructions, which I believe you can down load from College Hills Honda's website. They'll tell you how to measure to find the existing holes-- then just use a thumbtack to make sure it's there before screwing in the snaps.

I installed mine last night and I like it. The design allows each seatback to recline or fold down individually.

Mine already had the all-weather floor mats installed when I bought it. But my passenger footwell had a large puddle after one passenger with snowy boots rode in it. The water was all around and under the mat instead of on it. I know the OEMs won't perform like weathertech mats, but this doesn't seem to happen on the driver's side. I'm wondering if she was sitting where her feet weren't completely on the mat. Guess I'll keep a towel in the car until the snow melts away.

P.S. I like the cargo net because you can actually zip things inside it--not just trap things underneath it.

Last edited by kawracer; 01-07-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:44 PM
I didn't install the "snaps" because reclining the back seat to the cargo cover keeps things hidden. The snaps are handy if you want to sit the back seat upright (in church pew position) and still have your cargo protected from prying eyes.
Same thing with the floor mats. I didn't install the floor pins for the mats. I haven't had any problems with the mats sliding, at least not yet. If so, I can always install them later. I suppose honda is trying to avoid toyota-like lawsuits where their floor mats jammed against the accelerator causing pedal to the floor acceleration and resulting accidents.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks for this info. I'm looking into getting one of these. But I'm a bit confused -- with the snaps hooked up on the cover, can the seats go down flat, or do you need to take off the cover?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Yes the seat can fold flat. The snaps are loose enough that they'll easily disconnect by themselves when you fold down the seats.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by red600
Yes the seat can fold flat. The snaps are loose enough that they'll easily disconnect by themselves when you fold down the seats.
Okay thanks, the snaps are unsnapped and then the seats go down. Got it. (duh)