2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

How to install LED running lights on GE8. Wiring Guru's please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 AM
How to install LED running lights on GE8. Wiring Guru's please HELP!

I purchased some LED running lights (for looks) off eBay. I would like to install them to come on either when i turn my fogs on, headlights on or on their own switch, which would be in one of the empty switch panels to the left of the steering wheel.

I've called around and install about be anywhere from $90-$150. I'm a little tight on money right now and would love to get these put on myself if I could, just to save a little bit of money.

Can someone (with wiring expertise) please help me with how to wire these things either to the vehicle so when I turn my OEM fogs on they also come on or how to get power to them and wire them to thier own switch? I'm pretty handy but know NOTHING about wiring with the exception of how to install outlets in my home. Here is an image of the lights and everything they come with as far as wiring is concerned.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:02 PM
do you have a link where you got that lights? thanks.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I snagged them off eBay. Just search honda fit lights, 09 honda fit led or something of that sort and there were plenty of listings that popped up.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
I am not sure what FIT model you have? If you have FIT Sport which come with fog lights, just tap into positive and negative of each fog light.

If you have FIT base model, just tap into side markers.

Last edited by FITMugen; 11-04-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I have an 09 black sport. So if I tap into each fog light when I cut the fogs on these will come on too. Good idea and would be the easy way. I think I want them to come on independently or at least with the headlights so I have the option of turning on these with the headlights or turning on the fogs with the headlights. I'll probably mount them and then have a shop install the wiring and an independent switch. At this point, it's looking more and more like a project that in the end will just frustrate the hell out of me and I will never get right.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
This is another DYI idea and it might cost you less than $30.

Go to a auto part store and buy a APC remote control switch for $25. Then connect your LED lights to the remote control harness. Just tap the power source of remote swith to side marker or low beam headlight. So you can control the LED while low beam is on. LED lights do not consume much power. It will not blow your headlight fuse.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by FITMugen
This is another DYI idea and it might cost you less than $30.

Go to a auto part store and buy a APC remote control switch for $25. Then connect your LED lights to the remote control harness. Just tap the power source of remote swith to side marker or low beam headlight. So you can control the LED while low beam is on. LED lights do not consume much power. It will not blow your headlight fuse.
I'm all in for a DIY and I'm with you up until you get to the tap into the low beam headlights. The USDM fit didn't come with side markers, so that's out. If you can point me in the direction of when I can wire up to the power on the low beams and how, then I'm down for a challenge. Where it stands now I am clueless about auto electrical wiring.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
H4/9003 socket wiring

If you look at H4/9003 socket, you will see 3 pins/legs like this.
__
| |
The pin/leg on the top (horizontal) is positive. The vertical pins/legs are either high or low beam (negative). If you have a multi-meter, just measure current between these horizontal pin/leg and one of vertical pins/legs. Just tap your wireless remote switch to wires at a H4 socket for low beam.
If you don’t have multi-meter, I can measure current for you.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 AM
I do not have a multimeter. I guess more specifically, where am I running the wires to to tap into the low beam lights (the fuse box, under the hood, etc.)? Like I said I'm clueless. You're leading a blind man here, but I'm somewhat handy and I think if slowly and specifically explained what to do I think I can get this done. Thanks

Old 11-06-2009, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Do you know how to change headlight bulbs? Do you know where the H4/9003 headlight connectors are? Look at the back on the headlights (passenger side has more room). Headlight connectors connect to the headlight bulbs. They will have 3 pins/legs.

If you know what I just memtion, then we can move on.

Last edited by FITMugen; 11-06-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
Made my own set from led strips that I bought off Oznium.
I sum the wires for all the leds and connected the positive to the battery w. a fuse. The negative wire went to a switch that see ground.
This way I could turn them on anytime. Bad thing is if I forget to turn them off then my battery will be drain. I bet your kit is about the same with it needing power and ground.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
This is my DRL on my 2007 Civic Si using LED strips connects to DRL/High beam.

Name:  CivicSiDRL.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  62.0 KB