Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

How to install LED running lights on GE8. Wiring Guru's please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:50 AM
How to install LED running lights on GE8. Wiring Guru's please HELP!

I purchased some LED running lights (for looks) off eBay. I would like to install them to come on either when i turn my fogs on, headlights on or on their own switch, which would be in one of the empty switch panels to the left of the steering wheel.

I've called around and install about be anywhere from $90-$150. I'm a little tight on money right now and would love to get these put on myself if I could, just to save a little bit of money.

Can someone (with wiring expertise) please help me with how to wire these things either to the vehicle so when I turn my OEM fogs on they also come on or how to get power to them and wire them to thier own switch? I'm pretty handy but know NOTHING about wiring with the exception of how to install outlets in my home. Here is an image of the lights and everything they come with as far as wiring is concerned.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Have you searched this forum for information first, I'm sure someone has done this or something close to it.

I'm sure the kit comes with instructions and a wiring schematic drawing, just take your time and follow the directions.

It will help if when your reading the directions you are looking at the area they are talking about so that you can visualize the process prior to actually doing the work.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:09 AM
I did search the forums first. My thoughts were that someone had done this or installed a product similar enough that I could get some sort of idea how I should go about this. The problem with following the schematic is it's written for a universal install. I not knowledgeable enough to know how to apply it or find what the directions correspond to in relation to our specific vehicle.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i already posted a reply to your question in one of the other forums. forget which it was cause youve been cross-posting (which is not allowed).

if you can't understand my instructions you should just get it installed by a pro.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i already posted a reply to your question in one of the other forums. forget which it was cause youve been cross-posting (which is not allowed).

if you can't understand my instructions you should just get it installed by a pro.
Listen, I really appreciate you're help and time you spent writing up your explanation in the other thread, but there's no reason to be a dick. Yes, I was cross-posting (as you called it) and no, I didn't know it wasn't allowed. I was trying to get help and figured the topic was relevant in more than one place. Also, I would eventually get the help I needed if the visibility of the question was better (i.e. post it in multiple places). Now that I know this is SO wrong I will try my hardest to become less of an inconvenience to you.

And, by the way, my reply above on this thread was well before you posted your explanation in the other thread (you would know this if you weren't being a dick and would have had the common sense to look at the top of the post and see that I posted in this thread at 11:09 and you posted your install explanation in the other at 11:59).

Thanks for the heads up though. I'll keep my cross posting to a minimum.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Just wire them in as independent operation. Easiest way to so it. That means you simply turn them on/off independently of any other lights. If you want them by themselves, turn them on. If you want them with fogs, turn them on when you turn on the fogs. when you want them with headlights... you get the idea.

Basically, wire from + battery to inline fuse, the from inline fuse to pin 30 or relay. then wire from pin 87 of relay to + on the LED running lights. Then ground the - wire from the LED lights. Then, find a switched power source under the dash (comes on when ignition is on, off when ignition is off), and connect a wire from that source to the switch. Then run wire from the other side of the switch to pin 85 on the relay, the ground the relay from pin 86.

If you REALLY wanted the LEDs to be triggered by its own switch, as well as the headlights and/or the fogs, you could run trigger wires from those lights to Pin 85 or the relay as well. However, you might also need to run diodes to prevent the LED switch from also activating your headlights and/or fog lights. With your limited experience, just stick to the basics.