2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Mugen Shifter Assembly and Reverse Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Mugen Shifter Assembly and Reverse Gear

I put the Mugen Short Shifter Assembly in recently. I believe the install is correct and I used the new Shifter cable clip. However, I've had some trouble getting into reverse consistently since the install. This is true even if I take extra effort to push the shifter all the way to the right.

When this happens, I have to put it in another gear first and then shift into reverse. I know you have to do that with all manuals sometimes, but it seems to be happening much more often since the quick shifter.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:42 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitowner444
I put the Mugen Short Shifter Assembly in recently. I believe the install is correct and I used the new Shifter cable clip. However, I've had some trouble getting into reverse consistently since the install. This is true even if I take extra effort to push the shifter all the way to the right.

When this happens, I have to put it in another gear first and then shift into reverse. I know you have to do that with all manuals sometimes, but it seems to be happening much more often since the quick shifter.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Mine does it on both my fit with mugen shifter and stock fit. Actually happens more often on my stock fit.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah it happens sometimes - the feeling is as if the shifter won't go into the Reverse gate all the way and needs some more "persuading". I'm on the stock shifter, by the way.

Perfectly normal I suppose.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:20 AM
My EG9 had the same problem on the stock shifter. I hated it lol

Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Seems like the consensus is that it's unrelated to the short shifter

Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
This is fairly common,

reverse is a cruder arrangement than your forward gears (no syncro for example)

So if the gears happen to be at a rotational point that is tooth to tooth, it cant engage.

If you can get it to work by going to neutral and releasing the clutch, or by going into another gear, then reverse works fine, that is probably it.

However if this is happening a bunch more with the Mugen, you might need to tweak the shifter cables.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Normal for all Honda's.

Your manual tells you make sure you are not moving at all, depress the clutch and shift into another gear and then shift into reverse. This ensures none of the gears are spinning and makes reverse shifting... easy as pie.

Of course you don't have to shift into another gear first.. I usually try reverse first, if I feel resistance I shift into a forward gear and then into reverse.. works smooth as butter 100% of the time

Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 PM
I've tried this method shift in forward gear than into reverse. I still get the "brick wall" when I shift in reverse. In fact... I can't even touch reverse. Every other gear works fine and shifts smooth. I have no reverse!!! LOL!