2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
It is all psychological. And who knows why Honda really recommends waiting so long for an oil change?

Maybe indeed because it is modern day energy and oil saving provisions and not what an ideal engine maintenance would be.

I chose to stay on the safe side and changed mine at 2400 and believe it or not, I did see a metal shaving right on the draining bolt. It was a size of a black pepper or a sand spec.

Something like this.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
It is all psychological. And who knows why Honda really recommends waiting so long for an oil change?

Maybe indeed because it is modern day energy and oil saving provisions and not what an ideal engine maintenance would be.

I chose to stay on the safe side and changed mine at 2400 and believe it or not, I did see a metal shaving right on the draining bolt. It was a size of a black pepper or a sand spec.

Something like this.
Perhaps it doesn't need changing.

I rely on my car's filter taking care of stray bits in the oil. Even when changing the oil and filter you leave half a quart inside that doesn't drain not counting the residue everywhere. In any case I'm not sure your point about finding a metal shaving at 2,400 is relevant. Using this as a reason, everyone should change their oil before driving it off the dealer lot.

As to the psychology of oil changes, that falls in the realm of marketing. Frequent changes benefit the companies that profit from oil changes. Mainly the 3rd parties like Jiffy-Lube, but dealership service depts aren't above increasing their profits. And if they get you in to change your oil they may be able to sell you other services.

If you change your own oil and it makes you feel good to change it often, more power to you (however the 1st change before the minder calls for it is specifically advised against in Honda's break-in procedure).

Technically speaking, I haven't come across any reason to change the oil more frequently than the car manufacturer recommends.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
The arguments you are relying on are also psychological. E.g.: "Technically speaking, I haven't come across any reason to change the oil more frequently than the car manufacturer recommends."

By the way, the manual asks to change the oil first time as any other time - when the minder system calls for it. So, technically speaking, they don't "specifically advise against it" as you suggest, but they are simply being consistent with their instruction to rely on the minder system at ALL times, including the first oil change.

Think about it, if it was otherwise, they would have to even allow the possibility of oil change intervals that go against the minder system, at least in SOME occasions. But they don't mention it anywhere in the owners manual. They instruct to ALWAYS follow the minder system, including during the break-in period. THIS means that they DON'T "specifically advised against" the early oil change during the break in period.

I hope that this makes sense and is not too twisted. This is something that would be scrutinized in a college critical thinking class. (Inclusive statements, qualifying clauses, most but not all rules, etc).

I do agree with your view that there is a large number of companies that are interested in selling oil changes and care less about whether the oil really needs to be changed. And I by no means plan to change mine at 3 000 miles intervals. It's only the first one that I decided to change early and that is because it really makes sense to do it. There is also a ton of information on the web that supports an early oil change. Many foreign countries do the first oil change as a mandatory part of the beak in process in new cars. (Albeit I don't know if Honda does this with the L15 engine).

My regular oil routine is going to be changing the oil every 4500-5500 miles using Mobil 1 5w20 Full Synthetic oil. In the summer I might begin using 5w30, especially if I find out conclusively that 5w30 is indeed recommended for this engine in other countries.

Last edited by john21031; 02-15-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Break-in period:
  • Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time
(page 198)

powerful psychology, this.

Last edited by Steve244; 02-15-2010 at 10:53 PM. Reason: misquote.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Mi Fit just hit the minder time at 10,100 miles at which time I changed the original oil with Mobil 1 0W20 and a new filter. I think it goes faster now. It had only gone done 1/2 Qt. in the 10K miles.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
Search oil analysis, first oil change, maintenance minder and read the ensuing chaos.

Then, IMO, Read your owners manual and follow it.

The factory oil contains additives (molybdenum, boron and a few others IIRC) that should remain in the engine as long as possible.

I feel that after break in (25k miles or so on newer Hondas), change your oil as often as you like; there is data, however, that shows that cars with oil changed more frequently than needed have higher catastrophic failure rates in the long run (fleet studies). Why, I would have no idea. If you change your engine oil more frequently than the Maintenance Minder tells you to I would not reset the oil life until the codes display the recommendations at 15%. The codes mean things and should be done at least as often as they are recommended.

Honda's philosophy of ownership involves low cost of ownership and reduced environmental impact. Changing one's oil more frequently than needed counteracts both goals.

b
@rhyneba
Thanks this is exactly the story I heard from my little Shingle Springs, CA Honda dealer. I am at 6,500 miles in 5 months of driving, and the oil life indicator is at 50%. All those additives to make the engine break in better, I am happy to leave it in till 10,000 or when the 15% light comes on. Or maybe that will be at 11,000 miles. I don't drive on dusty roads, and in general I don't live in a high wind/dust storm area.

North Dakota is doing just fine, you don't have to be hyperactive on the oil changes folks.

Listen to your manual, it's talking to you.

It's chaos out there till you read your manual and relax.

Thanks again!

Old 07-21-2015, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
> when the 15% light comes on...

What is this indicator measuring?

Old 07-21-2015, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Here's how the Car Talk guys explain it... temp and revolutions.

Blog Post | How do the new Honda oil-change gauges work? Find out. | Car Talk

Old 07-21-2015, 06:30 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the link. I've never owned a Honda before and my Fit is still in Mexico. My current car is 15 years old, the automotive world has changed a lot since then. I have a lot to learn.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Honda seems to do a good job of trying to make sure their vehicles provide low maintenance costs.

Old 06-24-2023, 06:36 PM
Rock On

I want to express my thanks to this crew -- and the broader FitFreak forum.

Came here through Google years ago seeking advice on my '07 Fit. Came to this thread today -- as, due to my remote job status due to COVID, my Fit has for the most part sat in the driveway. Last oil change was 2022-03-15 / 126,071 miles. Earlier this week (6/19/2023?) the wrench lit up at 131,108 miles -- on a full synthetic. I expected the "10K oil" to "last me longer" -- but I appreciate that oil breaks down over time. Trust the MM.