2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Waterwetter added, your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Question Waterwetter added, your thoughts

Years ago I added this product to my then new 2000 Contour SVT and what I noticed was my temp gauge was lower than everyone elses, so I decided to add this to the Fit, too bad we don't have a temp gauge of any kind so I can measure the lower coolant temp.

What's your guys thoughts/experience with this coolant additive?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Never tried it. Is lower temp. than average a good thing?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by whaap
Never tried it. Is lower temp. than average a good thing?
I don't think it lowers it that much to affect anything, but looking at your location it can't hurt out there for sure I never had any issues with any of my cars when adding this product. I was going to try the stuff from Royal Purple but my auto parts store only carries their oil and not the coolant additive.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
Years ago I added this product to my then new 2000 Contour SVT and what I noticed was my temp gauge was lower than everyone elses, so I decided to add this to the Fit, too bad we don't have a temp gauge of any kind so I can measure the lower coolant temp.

What's your guys thoughts/experience with this coolant additive?
Even with a coolant gauge on the dashboard, you can't use one to compare like that . . . from the factory, they're usually designed to read dead even throughout the entire safe operating temperature range. Manufacturers started doing this because so many people were freaking out about normal/safe temperature fluctuations in the engine.

Water wetter does what it's designed to . . . but don't fall into the trap of thinking that an engine running cooler than it was designed to will somehow be any better. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I have had a really good experience with the Royal Purple coolant wetter... but then it went really really bad.

Basically I had a Jeep 4.0L H.O. which ran hot. I tried this product out and it kept my engine running much cooler in the summer, but when temps dropped well below freezing in the winter it started to Gel and suddenly my car was overheating in -40 weather. In the end I ended up with an expensive repair bill for a new water pump.

If you live in climates that get cold weather I would strongly recommend against water wetters.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds as if nobody is reading the Water Wetter directions.

Regular Green AntiFreeze is usually operated at a 50-50 mix.

WW says to use a 70% water, 30% antifreeze mix.

WW is a surfractant...in layman's terms, it makes the water stick to, or coat the metal. This increases heat transfer.

Modern anti freeze does this as well. If you dip your fingers into anti freeze, they feel "greasy" and are difficult to wash off...that's the surfractants doing their thing.

Straight water will transfer more heat than antifreeze blends. But water is more likely to freeze up in cold weather. (DUH!) That's the compromise that auto manufacturers make.

So anyway, "When Used As Directed", WW will make your cooling system work better. That's why we use it in our racecars.

Just don't forget to prepare for the Canadian winter...

Edit: "Lower than normal" running temps are NOT a good thing these days. The ECU will add more gas because it thinks the engine is still warming up. As the guy with the Jeep found out, if you have a temp problem it is best to identify the cause, not just "patch" it.

If you are insanely curious about the actual temps that your engine is operating at, a ScanGuage (or similar) will display the actual readings.
http://www.scangauge.com/

Last edited by Carbuff2; 05-05-2010 at 04:51 PM.