2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

DIY Manual Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Reviving this old topic.

Thanks to the OP and first commenter, the MTF change went very smoothly today.

For those finding this in the future, save yourself the trouble some of the other posters had and buy this: http://a.co/foZkBet

Then, follow the directions of the OP and the first commenter.

The one snag I ran into was with the crush washer (s). I didn't know the drain plug had one so I didn't have a new one with which to replace it.

The check/fill plug crush washer I purchased (18mm, http://a.co/5MJB2SP) was too small... so, I reinstalled both plugs with the old washers. I'm not concerned, but would like to have new ones for the next fluid change / if a leak develops.

The correct size crush washers are as follows and can be found here: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...sion-case.html

Fill: 20mm
Drain: 14mm

Last edited by Globalksp; 04-01-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:35 PM
did a tranny fluid change today in a few hours. Both fill and drain bolts were very loose but are torqued correctly now . likely the first time for this car with 30000 miles. shifter seems a bit smoother. old fluid was very dirty looking. Car was level and it took exactly 1.5 quarts. did a thorough cleaning of the undercarriage with splash shield off. it's an easy job.

Question: it looks as if there may be provisions in the splash shield for another full shield to fit the empty space and cover the exposed tranny and oil pan?? is there another part of the splash shield available from honda or an aftermarket shield?

Old 11-15-2017, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone changed the MT oil on their Fit with the car not being level ?

I have a pair of ramps (for engine oil changes), but don't have a jack and stands to raise the back of my car. I'd rather not have to buy these...storage space being an issue for me.

I've been doing some research on Google and found several people claiming that it's not really necessary to have the car leveled when changing MT oil.

On most manual transmissions the drain plug is located in such a way that even if the car is not level, almost all of the old fluid will still drain out. In most cars if the front wheels are on ramps and the rear on the ground, the slope of the car will cause a slight overfill with MT oil before the excess will start draining from the filler hole. A few people have claimed this will only account for an extra ounce or two of MT oil and will not be a problem. Furthermore, even if adding too much MT oil, there is an over-flow weeper hole at the top of the transmission which will allow any excess oil to escape and spill out.

Also I've read people claiming that most manufacturers will slightly overfill the manual gearboxes from the factory. The proof being many people getting MT oil draining out when removing the filler plug for the first time.

Can you guys confirm or disprove this?

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 08-05-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Seems reasonable to me. Probably going to be doing it that way when I hit 75k or next summer before I move and lose my garage.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:00 PM
Where is the fill hole? I see the drain hole.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
The FILL hole is going to be above the DRAIN hole (obviously). And it's slightly to the right of it, very close to the drive axle. Grab an 18mm wrench/socket and try the FILL bolt - it looks slightly larger and different than the other bolts there. I don't think the 18mm will match any of the other bolts there.

I ended up changing my MT fluid about a month ago, shortly after passing the 100,000 km mark (60 K miles), which is the Honda recommended interval at the dealership. Although it didn't smell bad and there were no metal fillings/shavings, it was very dark, almost black. I won't wait that long next time.
I used the ramps, as per my post above, and as expected when I removed the FILL some fluid poured out (half cup to 1 cup max). This meant that due to the slope I wasn't able to fit 1.5 L back into the gearbox and only got about 1.2-1.3 L inside.

Even with a bit less MT fluid than recommended, it runs great, shifting perfectly in all gears & no weird sounds or anything bad.

Before changing the fluid, the 1st gear and reverse used to be finicky, in that they wouldn't always engage properly and the gears would grind or no engage at all and just rev the engine.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 09-05-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone have a picture of where is fill bolt on manual? Or link to a manual?

Old 01-03-2019, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...p-manuals.html

I'm assuming that you have a Gen II Fit.
This is a thread on the main Gen II forum, "Factory Shop Manuals".
Personally I don't condone breaking any copy-right laws but the info should be there.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:39 AM
My experience on the first MTF change at 130k miles. - I purchased 2 quarts of Honda MTF at the local Honda dealer for under $17. The dealer included the proper crush washers for free. Ordering from Amazon would have been twice as $.

I was able to do the whole job by just undoing the one plastic snap connector closest to the transmission drain, not take off the whole undercover.

The fill bolt was 17mm on my 2013 Fit. The fill bolt was located a few inches rearward horizontally from the drive shaft. There was fluid overflowing out of the fill bolt hole when the fill bolt was removed. The fill crush washer was stuck to the transmission housing. Both the fill and drain bolt came off easily, probably under torqued.

I refilled with roughly 1.4 quarts using the $10 hand pump method. I had jack stands holding the front of the car up. I filled to overflowing. Then I jacked up the rear and I could get 2 more pumps of fluid in. I would not worry too much about the car being dead level for this. The difference of fluid was maybe a tablespoon. These cars are not that sensitive to extremely minimal differences in MTF levels.

This was an easy job and took under a half hour.

Last edited by SaratogaFit123; 04-10-2020 at 10:46 AM.