2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

DIY Blutooth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 AM
DIY Blutooth?

I found out that the 2012 Fit LX and Sport (without nav) finally come with the standard 160 watt 6-speaker sound system and now this year with hands-free blutooth. Anyone found out yet what parts to order and how to change a previous year (ie 2009) to have blutooth?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
that must be a Canadian thing cause they don't come like
that here.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
If you find out, let me know. For now I'm using this:

Satechi Soundfly BT Bluetooth Wireless FM Transmitter and Hands-free Phone

It works quite well --- but I'd much rather have something stock, even if I spend $300 to do it.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Yep, my 2012 does not come with Bluetooth. That is still reserved for the satnav-equipped models. It does have the audio controls on the steering wheel, though.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 AM
dang i got the 2011 fit with the nav but no bluetooth! I wonder if it's possible to add it in now?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Only the Nav model comes with BT. I pride myself in knowing a lot about cars, in fact usually more than the salesperson, however I somehow fooled myself into thinking my Sport would have Bluetooth. It don't.

I was pissed but there is no really practical way to add it in afterwards, because, it's part of the Nav system. Yes you could get an aftermarket wired Bluetooth, but it'll be much more expensive and painful than just getting a wireless Bluetooth device.

I am thinking to get a Motorola Roadster 2. Supposedly one of the best, $70 on Amazon, and nothing to even plug in - to me it's a no-brainer. Controls (in fact entire box) live on you folding mirror, putting the microphone near your head. Only one downside I can think of, and that is, the risk it'll fall out your window when you swing the visor out :P

Old 07-31-2012, 12:23 PM
but if you have an older nav setup you could get bluetooth integrated? You'd have to add that button to the steering wheel I guess and switch out the nav displays maybe.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Only the Nav model comes with BT. I pride myself in knowing a lot about cars, in fact usually more than the salesperson, however I somehow fooled myself into thinking my Sport would have Bluetooth. It don't.

I was pissed but there is no really practical way to add it in afterwards, because, it's part of the Nav system. Yes you could get an aftermarket wired Bluetooth, but it'll be much more expensive and painful than just getting a wireless Bluetooth device.

I am thinking to get a Motorola Roadster 2. Supposedly one of the best, $70 on Amazon, and nothing to even plug in - to me it's a no-brainer. Controls (in fact entire box) live on you folding mirror, putting the microphone near your head. Only one downside I can think of, and that is, the risk it'll fall out your window when you swing the visor out :P
Going to check out the Roadster 2, thanks for the info!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
I can comment further on this because I DID buy the Roadster 2.

Yes, it works fine. It pairs with the phone when you enter the car, and plays people's voices through a somewhat harsh speaker when you make a call.

Why do I NOT like it?

The quality of the microphone isn't great. People say that the voice quality is better if I just put my iPhone on "speakerphone" and hold it somewhere in the vicinity of my head. I would think that because the Roadster is clipped to the visor, and because it has only ONE job to do which is pick up my voice, it ought to be much better. In fact, I think the only advantage it has is that it has a clip, so it IS mounted near the visor so I don't have to hold the phone. But it gives up a lot in quality vs the phone's standard speaker.

Additionally, the Roadster makes a really loud and annoying BOOOOOOP every time it pairs or unpairs, and it runs through the battery relatively quickly, and I know some people think it's cool to have a blue glowing Motorola charger plugged in, I disagree. So I generally keep it off, which means I have to actually dig it out and turn it on if I receive a call.

As a result it doesn't relieve me of the task of pulling the phone out of my pocket to answer a call. You still have to take the call and select the Roadster speaker on the phone, which means I have to do just as much staring at the phone as I would otherwise. I think Motorola intended that a) this would happen automatically or b) you could use the buttons on the Roadster, but they're labeled in indecipherable symbols and I don't use the device frequently enough to remember what they do.

Of course, you have to take out your phone to MAKE a call as well. Voice control, supposedly a feature, doesn't really work. One time the Roadster randomly dialed a person in my contacts while I was having a conversation with a passenger. This is the only time I have been aware the device accepts voice commands at all.

I am aware the Roadster comes with an Android app for use with it, which might solve for a number of these issues. I have an iPhone.

I think that the Roadster works fine at its basic task, which is to give you back the use of one hand for the duration of a call - likely a great feature in traffic. However, the downsides mean that I mostly use it only when I feel I NEED to take the call, so it hasn't increased convenience or allowed me to connect with friends any more frequently. And at the primary task I bought it for - to increase simplicity and safety for my wife - it doesn't work at all, because it's not seamless enough for her to have any desire to learn how to work it.

That's my two cents. I realize that is harsh and maybe doesn't appreciate some technical limitations, but I have high standards and would like the device to have call quality of the iPhone, at least (not really a high bar!). I am surprised this is the "best" Bluetooth speaker on the market. I wonder if maybe an earpiece would have been a better buy?

Old 11-10-2012, 02:17 PM
sorry to hear about all the problems you had but the unit I provided a link to appears to be a little more developed...

anyone have any problems with Honda USA SPEC Bluetooth?

Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
I just want to be clear that I haven't had problems per se. The Motorola is operating presumably just as Motorola intended. It's more that my expectations were high and I hoped it would work more or less seamlessly. However, the way it is, there isn't much added above just wearing a wired headphone with a mic. Oh well ... if this is the biggest problem all week I'll be happy

Old 11-10-2012, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
We have a GPS with built in Bluetooth. Very handy.

"For hands-free calling, nüvi 1490LMT integrates Bluetooth wireless technology with a built-in microphone and speaker. Just pair it with your compatible Bluetooth phone and talk hands-free through the 1490LMT while staying focused on the road. Simply dial numbers with nüvi's touchscreen keypad to make a call. To answer calls, just tap the screen and speak into its built-in microphone. Enjoy convenient one-touch dialing for contacts and points of interest."

Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
The 2012 Canadian LX and Sport Fits (which are non-navi) do have bluetooth.......wondering if anyone figured out how to add handsfree link? it has to be a separate unit installed in there car somewhere, as the radio unit looks to be the same....

I should go into a honda dealer to check it out, but assuming its different than the BT35-HON I would be very interested.

The problem I see with the BT35-HON is it doesnt have voice dial which is very important in my mind. I dont want to have to touch my phone in order to make calls......its actually illegal where I live, regardless, voice dial is much more convinent.

I'm currently using a Motorola Roadster 2 which I'm currently on the fence about. It has voice answer/dial which is awesome but the FM tranmitter picks up static and people on the other end find that the microphone isnt very clear at times...... so I'm not 100% sold on it.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
I checked the Fit service manual wiring diagrams, you need the HFT unit, microphone, steering wheel control, and potentially can use the same headunit assuming the regular ones has the plug-n to accept the input from the HFT unit.....

Problem is the HFT unit is insanely expensive.......$1,800 CAD LOL

BT35-HON it is....hope this helps...