2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

HVAC Blower Motor works only on high speed

Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member
This just happened to my 2010 this morning. I actually got a whiff of a burning smell so I guess that was the resistor burning out. I'll have to take it to the dealer after Memorial day and see what they'll do for me. At least I can refer to the TSB now.

This will be the first thing that's needed repair.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by loubob57
This just happened to my 2010 this morning. I actually got a whiff of a burning smell so I guess that was the resistor burning out. I'll have to take it to the dealer after Memorial day and see what they'll do for me. At least I can refer to the TSB now.

This will be the first thing that's needed repair.
Sounds like you are fortunate that it happened before you hit 36K as it will be covered under warranty.

Ours had about 42K but we have owned it for only 28 mos.

Before taking it in you may want to check your cabin air filter to insure it’s reasonably clean. Good chance, while swapping out the blower motor, they will take a look at the filter and may hit you with a hefty charge if they decide it needs replacing.

You may also want to check to insure they have a blower motor and resistor in stock before you take it in.

On a semi related note, if I had a 2009 or 2010 (or one of the affected 2011’s) that was still under warranty, and still had the original blower motor, I think I would ask the dealer to install a new blower motor even if the current one is working (or try to get a commitment that they will install a new one at no cost "when"/if it fails).

Old 05-26-2012, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
I took the Fit into the dealer yesterday morning. They replaced the fan motor and resistor under warranty. And they had it done by 10 am! I also had them do my state inspection since it was due. That's the only thing I had to pay for.

After I got it home I put in a new cabin air filter and engine air filter.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:20 AM
I did mine myself. Wasn't very hard. I didn't want to deal with the dealership since it was out of warranty and it would have been at least $90 if they decided not to do it (because they would have "HAD" to hook it up to the machine to see what was wrong).

I hope the same problem doesn't exist with the new blower assy.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by jahtmk
I hope the same problem doesn't exist with the new blower assy.
I was thinking the same thing. I guess the only way to find out may be the wait and see approach..

Old 06-04-2012, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
Want to add something to this, I had it happen on my 09 with 79k. So I decided to see what I could find by taking it apart. First pulled the resistor assembly out and found out what fails on it. A quick solder repairs that portion.

A day later that popped again and I then pulled the blower motor out and took it apart. (Not for the faint of heart if you don't have the tools).

There is a design flaw with the motor assembly. The fan assembly was very hard to turn once out of the car. The brushes/commutator, as they wore, built up and scored the shaft under the bushings. Because of the additional rotating resistance the motor would draw more current compared to airflow and would cause the resistor to heat up enough to un-solder the connection.(I figure that is a last ditch effort from Honda not to burn the car up) And lines up with the TSB nicely.

Once I got it apart, I did a quick cleaning and tried to smooth up the scoring a bit. Also flipped the bushings end for end, so the one near the brushes is now near output shaft. After that it was easier to turn before I put the brushes back in. Once I did it became harder, I'm figuring they have too heavy of a spring supporting them.(Also shows by the wear on them and the commutator) WAY to much for something not even 3 years old.

My 2 cents, until I see an updated pn, I would expect the same pn to fail eventually. Typically from what I've seen manufacturers update the pn with a new one upon correcting an issue, not sure about Honda

So it is back together and running for now all for $0 and just about a hour of my time. Though I fully expect it to fail again, hopefully by then Honda or the aftermarket will have it sorted out.

Ivan

Also sorry I didn't get any pics, if I take it out again I will snap some.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Ivan_C

A day later that popped again and I then pulled the blower motor out and took it apart. (Not for the faint of heart if you don't have the tools).

There is a design flaw with the motor assembly. The fan assembly was very hard to turn once out of the car. The brushes/commutator, as they wore, built up and scored the shaft under the bushings. Because of the additional rotating resistance the motor would draw more current compared to airflow and would cause the resistor to heat up enough to un-solder the connection.(I figure that is a last ditch effort from Honda not to burn the car up) And lines up with the TSB nicely.

My 2 cents, until I see an updated pn, I would expect the same pn to fail eventually. Typically from what I've seen manufacturers update the pn with a new one upon correcting an issue, not sure about Honda

So it is back together and running for now all for $0 and just about a hour of my time. Though I fully expect it to fail again, hopefully by then Honda or the aftermarket will have it sorted out.

Ivan

Also sorry I didn't get any pics, if I take it out again I will snap some.

For what it’s worth, the part number for the blower motor/fan on the new 2012 model year FIT’s (79310-TF0-G01) is the same part number for the 2009-2011’s model years.

So, I guess they are still using the same defective part on the new FIT’s or, at some unknown point in time, they fixed the design flaw in the motor without changing the part number.

(PS If the motor fix requires special tools and is not for the “faint of heart” I don’t think I would attempt repair, even with pics…. )

Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
So this just happened to our Fit today, gotta call the dealer tomorrow

Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 AM
It happened to mine yesterday. 2010 with 23k miles.

Regards,
Tom

Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 AM
This happened to my 2011 Sport at about 6K miles. It was under warranty (obviously) and was repaired by the dealer in less than an hour with no hassles whatsoever.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Happened to my 09 fit with 26k miles. The dealer installed the blower motor and resistor assembly.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Our blower failed this morning. We have 58000 miles on our '09. Anybody get Honda to cover this fix on an out of warranty car?

I hate it that the dealers can't give a firm yes or no to this question over the phone. It's 60 miles to the dealer.

Cheers.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
I'd contact Honda USA and explain it's 60 miles to the dealer. Ask them if it's possible to request consideration or a good will replacement if the motor/resistors are the problem before taking it to the dealer.

I'm afraid they will say it's up to the service manager.

My spidey sense tells me a service campaign is in the offing. I hope you guys fight the good fight before mine fails.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
on just replacing the resistor

Same thing happened to me 2 years ago and I got it goodwilled (just out of warranty)

my uncle wasnt so lucky (he postponed it until he was out of warranty)

I ended up ordering a resistor and swapped it out about a month ago ($20)

I explained it may just be a stopgap and if it blew again we would have to replace the blower. He thinks even replacing 2 or three during the life of the car is a better deal than the close to 300 to replace the motor.

I would agree with him if it wasnt for the pita it was to fit myself and some tools down there...

so for those with small arms and bodies, this might be a good first step if you cant get it good willed...

Old 07-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Santiad
Same thing happened to me 2 years ago and I got it goodwilled (just out of warranty)

my uncle wasnt so lucky (he postponed it until he was out of warranty)

I ended up ordering a resistor and swapped it out about a month ago ($20)

I explained it may just be a stopgap and if it blew again we would have to replace the blower. He thinks even replacing 2 or three during the life of the car is a better deal than the close to 300 to replace the motor.

I would agree with him if it wasnt for the pita it was to fit myself and some tools down there...

so for those with small arms and bodies, this might be a good first step if you cant get it good willed...
When I replaced the just the resistor it lasted less than a week before blowing again.

Replacing the motor is not difficult or time consuming (possibly no more time and effort than what it takes to replace the resistor). If you can get your head just partially under the dash you should be good to go.
(Important: Just remember to always keep your butt behind you )

You can buy both a new motor and resistor online for around $200, including shipping.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Finally got around to taking our Fit to the dealer. It's 60 miles and of course they don't have parts, so we left it. At 60,000 miles Honda paid 65% and I ate the $100 that was left after that. I'm going to pursue it with Honda a bit more. I think a non-defective blower would go more than 60,000 miles. At any rate, it's fixed. We had been driving it with the fan blowing on high speed only, but on a trip to STL on a 107° day, the whole thing gave out. I guess a bearing failed. Lots of smoke. VERY hot drive home. Reminded me of cross-countries in the old VW bug in 1970.

This is the real price of living in the country: Drive to Quincy. Wife follows in other car. Drive home. That's 180 miles. Do it again to pick it up. Another 180.

At least they did the recall at the same time.

Cheers.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
That sucks. Did you know before going in they'd charge that? Were they going to charge a diagnostic fee if you didn't get it repaired? They should have comp'ed it for your trouble.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
I recently replaced the resistor/relay box only on our fit and it was working again now two weeks later the damn thing stopped working. Its time to order the blower and resistor

Old 08-03-2012, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Staff@WR
I recently replaced the resistor/relay box only on our fit and it was working again now two weeks later the damn thing stopped working. Its time to order the blower and resistor
Yeah. It's the defective motors that are burning through the resistors by pulling too many amps.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Cool Fan Blower Motor Replacement.

Does anybody know if the problem has recuured AFTER a Honda dealer accomplished the TSB by replacing the resistor pack and the blower motor?

If not, and the blower part numbers are the same, then how can you tell if the TSB has been done? The part numbers won't tell you if they are Pre or Post TSB parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HVAC Blower Motor works only on high speed