2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

HVAC Blower Motor works only on high speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
File a case Honda Customer Service. This is shabby service.

Honda dealership personnel are
trained professionals. They should
be able to answer all your questions.
If you encounter a problem that your
dealership does not solve to your
satisfaction, please discuss it with the
dealership's management. The
service manager or general manager
can help. Almost all problems are
solved in this way.
If you are dissatisfied with the
decision made by the dealership's
management, contact Honda
Customer Service.
U.S. Owners:
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Torrance, California 90501-2746
Tel: (800) 999-1009

Old 10-02-2013, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
OK, today is a better day. The dealership called me this morning before I even had to deal with the third-party warranty company and said they called the warranty company again and worked it all out. Apparently after talking to a different person over there they were able to come to an agreement and it looks like I'll be picking my car up tonight without having to pay another deductible after all. Sorry for the rant yesterday.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
My New Blower

Well, I purchased a new non OEM blower fan on ebay, as I previously reported I'd found, for $72, including shipping. It only took a week, to the day, to get the blower UPS. The savings was appreciable as my local dealer wanted $255 including tax for OEM. I compared it externally and I can't tell any difference, at all, including the fan, connector, and plastic flashing... they are identical from what I can tell. I'll be putting the new fan in in the next few days. When the resistor I ordered from ebay comes, I'll have the whole details of whether this new fan actually performs like OEM, at least, with respect to noise and perceived performance. Hopefully, it will... I'm tired of either being too cold or too hot when I drive the car.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by valk97
2010 Fit Sport with 43K

Heater / AC Blower will operate only on high speed.

Based on the numerous posts on this subject, it seems the blower resistor is bad and needs to be replaced.

Questions..
Based on the following TSB for a 2009 Fit, Honda recommends replacing the blower motor in addition to the resistor, which will probably be a bit pricey. Wonder if replacing the motor is really necessary?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26128795/2009-Honda-Fit-Blower-Motor-TSB-09-097

Is replacing the resistor (and motor if necessary) as easy as it appears based on the instructions in the TSB? Any gotcha’s?? (TSB states the repair should not be attempted by "do-it-yourselfers". Figure thats just hype, but you never know

Wonder what the chances are of Honda fixing this as a “Good Will” gesture (which was hinted at in the 2009 TSB). I don’t think the blower resistor should be failing at this point in the game, especially in a Honda.

Thanks
Bill
Had same problem last year. Dealer quoted $430 for repair. Service mgr called Honda and I ended paying $130. Good luck!
Jack H 2009 sport auto

Old 11-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Hey y'all.

I've got the same problem with my 2010 Sport (AC only works in 4). Will I cause any more damage by running it in 4 until I can get to fixing it? From reading through the thread, it seems like it's either the resistor or the motor but is there anything else I should check before replacing one? Seems like I should go with the resistor first and then if that doesn't work go with the motor...

I'm new to trying to fix my own car problems but this seems like a good place to start.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
the motor draws too much current causing the resistor pack to fail. Both will need replacement.

It won't damage anything be just running it in 4 (other than your nerves). Eventually it will stop working at all.

I'm assuming you have more than 36K miles or it'd be covered under warranty.

The blowers are sold aftermarket now (even on ebay) for not much. Or you can get OE parts from Honda online that are cheaper than your local dealer.

The effort and skills to replace are low.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AK803
Hey y'all.

I've got the same problem with my 2010 Sport (AC only works in 4). Will I cause any more damage by running it in 4 until I can get to fixing it? From reading through the thread, it seems like it's either the resistor or the motor but is there anything else I should check before replacing one? Seems like I should go with the resistor first and then if that doesn't work go with the motor...

I'm new to trying to fix my own car problems but this seems like a good place to start.
I just replaced my motor and resistor. If the resistor fails that means the motor has occasional problems and you might destroy another resistor for no good reason and have that additional cost. I bought the after market motor I mentioned in my previous posting. They are identical to the OEM in appearance and perceived operation. My guess is that it is the same factory that makes them for Honda but much cheaper.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Pull the motor (very simple) and see if the blower fan will easily turn using one finger. If it will turn and free spin slightly, then the motor is ok. If it turns, but either with force or won't free spin at all, then the motor is on the way out.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Hi there,
just wondering if the same fix works for 2005 Honda Jazz.
I have a problem with the resistor and need a replacement.
So if someone could inform if I can use the same part no. or If it´s a different part with a different partno ?
Thx,

Old 02-16-2014, 03:12 PM
I have a 2012. The blower problem still exists!!! Will be going to honda tomorrow. I am snow birding in FL so not the dealership where I purchased, but don't want to wait another 2 months. Any other '12 owners have the blower go? Like everyone else, still working on 4 for now.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:40 PM
2012 same problem

I am so glad that I read this post prior to going to the Honda dealership!! I had the same blower motor problemm - only worked on 4 - I am out of warranty and wintering over a 1000 miles from my dealer. I went in to the service manager at the local Honda - awesome!! They put in a new motor and resistor - charged me the deductible $39 - no diagnostic fee - I feel very fortunate. I think it helped when I told the manager about the service bulletin and that it is a known issue since the '09 model - all learned here. BTW - dealer was Coggin in Ft Pierce, FL.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
Generic non-oem TYC blow motor review:

DON'T BUY IT! I recently installed the non-oem blower motor with a new oem resistor last month. There was noise coming from the blower motor on the 1st and 2nd speed setting. I wasn't too bothered with it since I saved about $200. BUT...after about a month I am getting the same problems that I did initially. Settings 1, 2, and 3 are now not working again and only 4 is active. Looks like the non-oem blower motor was modeled after the old blower motors. Definitely do not buy these motors!

I'll be looking to invest in a oem motor now and hopefully won't be getting this problem again...

Old 04-16-2014, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
Isn't your avatar partly backwards?

Down, down-right, right, punch works for facing right, not left.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:43 PM
The parts were pretty easy to swap out, even for a novice like me.
Guessing the dealer would have charged maybe $400 – $500 for parts and labor?

(For the parts I ordered, bernardiparts.com seemed to have better prices, lower shipping costs, and more reasonable return policies than other online retailers that I checked out. )
Ordered my parts and should have them this weekend for the girlfriend's 2010 Fit.

Anyone have a list of tools I will need? Much thanks!

Old 05-27-2014, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BeavisBob
Ordered my parts and should have them this weekend for the girlfriend's 2010 Fit.

Anyone have a list of tools I will need? Much thanks!
Like I said in the other thread... why didn't you go to your dealer and see if they would good will it? Because there's a TSB, there's a chance they'll either eat part of the cost or all of it (free for you).

Got this from ALLDATA (preview of recalls and TSBs since I don't have an account)

09-097

March 4, 2011

*Applies To:
2009-10 Fit - ALL
2011 Fit - From VIN JHMGE8...B5000001 thru JHMGE8...B5000012
2011 Fit -From VIN JHMGE8...BC000001 thruJHMGE8...BC012605*

HVAC Blower Motor Works Only On High Speed

(Supersedes 09-097, dated December 11, 2009, to revise the information marked by the asterisks)

*REVISION SUMMARY

Under Applies To, all 2010 models and some 2011 models were added.*

SYMPTOM

The HVAC blower motor works only on high speed.

PROBABLE CAUSE

Excessive current draw from the HVAC blower moto [...]

Last edited by Goobers; 05-27-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Like I said in the other thread... why didn't you go to your dealer and see if they would good will it?
Agree. For the life of me I don't understand the desire to spend money when the dealer will fix it for you for little or nothing (my out-of-warranty repair cost was $100 all in). The total cost would have been about $300. I had 60k on the car at the time and the warranty was a fond memory.

You guys are shopping around for the best deal when the best deal is probably nothing or close to nothing. At least talk to a dealer and show them the TSB—that doesn't cost anything. Then, if it breaks again, you can go back and ask for further consideration.

Cheers.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:41 PM
I went that route and two dealerships were less than helpful. Both told me the warranty was over and quoted some outragious figure to replace the parts. One dealership then put me on the call list for salesmen and I received 20 calls from salesmen in the course of 7 days!

In case anyone is curious, a good light, short phillips head screwdriver and a standard length flat head screwdriver are all you need. Just 3 screws on blower, 2 on the resistor. Take both out, install new resistor, then blower unit. Took less than an hour to change out.

Thanks to the original post suggesting bernardiparts.com. Was able to get the blower unit and resistor for $201 with shipping.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BeavisBob
I went that route and two dealerships were less than helpful. Both told me the warranty was over and quoted some outragious figure to replace the parts. One dealership then put me on the call list for salesmen and [B]I received 20 calls from salesmen in the course of 7 days!
That's a shame. My dealer said he had never heard of the TSB but I took a copy with me when I went in. Sorry you had a different experience.

Cheers.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:59 AM
'09 fit Blower and resistor (resistor easy repair)

I just changed out my blower and resistor, It's easy with a torks and a phillips screw driver. I saved over $300 from dealership quote. It took about an hour. I later discovered a fix that only involves a bad solder joint in the resister and is easily re-soldered. Explore this option if you can. I lost the link but it's on this site somewhere.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by joncee11
I just changed out my blower and resistor, It's easy with a torks and a phillips screw driver. I saved over $300 from dealership quote. It took about an hour. I later discovered a fix that only involves a bad solder joint in the resister and is easily re-soldered. Explore this option if you can. I lost the link but it's on this site somewhere.
that's real cool. id need to take a look at that if my 09's warranty repaired blower part breaks again.

Quick Reply: HVAC Blower Motor works only on high speed