2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Rear Bumper cover Crack Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Rear Bumper cover Crack Repair?

Hi Ya'll, first post, major lurker for the last few years. Lots of great stuff, hoping to contrib in the future... until then...

I Have a small ~ 4cm vertical crack on the outside of my rear bumper cover on top of where the right bracket connects to it on the inside. Any suggestions for keeping it from running, sealing it, or cleaning it up so it's not as visible somehow?

Ideally I'd like to stop a run AND make it less visible.

Model: 2009 Sport AT no Nav Billet Silver

oh, and I have some touch up paint btw but you can't see anything that's not silver.

Last edited by I_Use_Maps_(as_in_paper); 09-26-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: cleaning post
Old 09-25-2012, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
I would definitely try google on this one, but I would guess some sort of adhesive or bonding compound would be the way to go, probably applied from behind. There isn't a whole lot you can do about the appearance of the crack short of fixing it and then repainting, but you can probably stop it from getting bigger every time you push the bumper.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks fujisawa, usually i don't like the response 'google it'.Not least of which b/c I don't use google, due to policies/politics/privacy. I use ixquick.com (private search engine, that also offers anyonymous google results for those that really need google). I guess I was hoping to find someone that had 'done it before' and could give specific advice to the parameters my model of fit falls within. However, I may just become that person myself! (So, thanks for the nudge! Happy to contrib!)

So here's the most useful stuff I've found so far:
This article:
How to Repair your Plastic Bumper - Car Craft Magazine
Refers to a website that is now defunct:
urethanesupplycompany.com
as having a good guide for IDing your type of plastic to get the correct materials.
However, all is not lost, as they have a super low resolution image from that website (urethanesupply)in their article, that is just barely eligible to the dedicated reader.
Here it is:
http://image.carcraft.com/f/howto/17..._supply_co.jpg

I'm going to try to:
1) ID the plastic for my model of Fit
2) Use that guide (the image above) as a starting point
3) Attempt to get the correct materials for under ~50USD
4) Fix it myself w/o deforming/cutting/melting excessively the bumper cover and sanding the *** out of it like some people on the web are doing or using ~200 dollar Plastic Air Welding Tool. Also, I don't have a pneumatic paint gun, nor want to buy one.

Will Report back with progress on those steps! (and maybe some images too!)

Old 09-26-2012, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
use a solder iron to melt the bumper together at crack

fill with body filler, as minimally as possible. id suggest flexible body filler or else it can/will crack

sand said body filler once dry

paint

Old 09-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
just get the bandaid stickers. fixed.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:08 PM
plasti dip it!