2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Winter Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Winter Wiper Blades

Is there such a thing?

I checked with Canadian Tire today and couldn't find any. Not even listed.

My old GMC Acadia had 4 season wipers.

Are the wipers supposed to pull double duty? (winter and summer?)

Getting ready for winter.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
I just used the originals. I did replace them with Wal-Mart ones after two years. They may have winter blades if you think you need them.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 AM
Banned
Yes they may have winter blades. If you need them!!!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, "winter blades" are a thing, but I believe they will have declined in popularity.

Used to be you had regular blades, which had exposed frames, and in the winter ice would cake in the frames and prevent the blades from flexing to touch the windshield. They would also clog with snow, requiring a cleaning every 10 miles or so, making them very useless if you like up in the north. People down south, of course, don't care about this topic.

So to solve these problems you would buy winter blades which have a plastic cover around the whole thing, meaning you can easily clear snow and ice off. Why not use these all year? Because at highway speeds the wind catches the larger surface and lifts them off the glass a little.

Now most new cars come with a third type of, I dunno, universal blade which has trickled down from BMWs etc over time, to the point where your Fit came with them probably. No exposed frame, and flexible so it works well in the snow and has no problems at speed. I find, in fact, they work BETTER in the summer than the metal-frame blades. Downside is, more expensive (of course!)

The reason you MIGHT still choose to put on winter blades is, the all-season blades are more likely to become damaged if you consistently have to chip ice off them with a scraper. On this topic - I learned a few years ago to prop the wipers out from the windshield before a snowstorm - makes clearing the windshield like 300% easier

Old 10-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the factory ones work fine. the only time those winter blades make a difference is if your car came with the traditional wiper blades where it has like those 2 little branches on both ends of the blade to keep contour with the glass. ice tends to form between the little branched part of the blade and looses the contour of the glass.

our Fits have the single solid design so it's already all-weather.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks Gents!!!!

I will be getting new inserts then to get ready for winter.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Yes, "winter blades" are a thing, but I believe they will have declined in popularity.

Used to be you had regular blades, which had exposed frames, and in the winter ice would cake in the frames and prevent the blades from flexing to touch the windshield. They would also clog with snow, requiring a cleaning every 10 miles or so, making them very useless if you like up in the north. People down south, of course, don't care about this topic.

So to solve these problems you would buy winter blades which have a plastic cover around the whole thing, meaning you can easily clear snow and ice off. Why not use these all year? Because at highway speeds the wind catches the larger surface and lifts them off the glass a little.

Now most new cars come with a third type of, I dunno, universal blade which has trickled down from BMWs etc over time, to the point where your Fit came with them probably. No exposed frame, and flexible so it works well in the snow and has no problems at speed. I find, in fact, they work BETTER in the summer than the metal-frame blades. Downside is, more expensive (of course!)

The reason you MIGHT still choose to put on winter blades is, the all-season blades are more likely to become damaged if you consistently have to chip ice off them with a scraper. On this topic - I learned a few years ago to prop the wipers out from the windshield before a snowstorm - makes clearing the windshield like 300% easier
Yep, what he said. I don't think a traditional metal framed wiper will be better than stock blades coming on newer cars (Fits, Civics, CRV ect.)

Old 10-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Thanks Gents!!!!

I will be getting new inserts then to get ready for winter.
Not trying to be a wise guy but your car is fairly new and wiper blades last a least a couple of years.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 PM
Oh that would be nice!^^^^

But after cooking in the sun over the summer the big one is catching on the window already(skipping on the window at the beggining of the cycle if you get my meaning). Got to get them replaced sadly. I really don't mind keeping my consumables in tip top shape. Usually at the first sign of wear and tear I get new stuff.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 10-16-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:16 AM
Winter Wiper Blades

In every season windshield, wipers are an often overlooked maintenance item on your vehicle, but they’re really important when it comes to safety. Poor wipers can affect visibility in inclement weather and you don’t want to wait until you’re caught in a storm to realize your wipers need to be replaced. Fortunately, now you don’t even have to walk into an auto parts store to buy high-quality replacement wiper blades for your vehicle.

A bad set of winter wiper shield of your car can hamper you in driving. When you are driving to an important long drive suddenly you see that your car winter wiper blades are not working well or it is failed clear your car glass, and you can't drive smoothly. So you have to maintain your winter wiper blades with good quality based products.

Old 12-30-2020, 04:00 PM
No need. Stock OEM Honda blade refills work just fine in all conditions.