2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

DIY: Honda Fit Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
DIY: Honda Fit Oil Change

"Disclaimer: The following is provided as a for educational purposes only, and neither myself, nor fitfreak.net, endorse, recommend, encourage, or bear any responsibility whatsoever for the outcome of someone else following this guide: You are completely responsible for what happens to your own car. Perform at your own risk!"

Did my second oil change on the Fit. Decided to use a floor jack and jack stand instead of the Rhino ramp.

Filter used: Purolator PureOONE PL14610
Amazon.com: Purolator PL14610 PureONE Oil Filter, Pack of 1: Automotive Amazon.com: Purolator PL14610 PureONE Oil Filter, Pack of 1: Automotive

Oil: Mobile 1 0W20
Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil - Walmart.com

Drain Plug washer:
OEM Part Number: 94109-14000

I will update this post once I cut open the used PureONE filter.

Last edited by Jephu; 04-15-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Recently, there has been many post on Bobistheoilguy forum about the lack of quality on these filters. Although most post were regards to the Purolator "classic" line, there were a few post regards to the PureOne filters having the same issues.

I've been using PureOne filters for the past 10 years on all my cars and decided to finally open one up and see what all the fuss was about.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
oil filters

Fram makes the OEM Honda oil filters. Honda uses the TG7317 as their own oil filter. If you want a tough oil filter, WIX is one of the best aftermarket filters. NAPA Auto Parts filters are made by WIX. Another decent filter I've used is made by Champion Labs. Champion sells under the STP and AC Delco brands. The STP brands do not have a direct equivalent to the Honda filters, but AC Delco does. STP's 6607 is a slighty undersized filter, while Delco's PF2057 is the same size as the OEM filter.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
I'll be using the Magnetti Marelli (Mopar aftermarket) 1AMFL00003. MSRP $5.39.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:16 AM
0w20 oil si very thin and ideal for fuel saving.
In Italy this oil is not adviced by Honda dealers. They put 10W40 which is terrible for fuel saving. Certain aereas of my country can be very hot so dealers say that this way engine is more protected. I don't quite agree, but the issue is that the oil cap does not mention at all the type of oil to use and the manual gives a very wide range. So where is the truth?

Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
My manual doesn't give a wide range.

Here:
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...3/K61313OM.pdf

Page 201
• Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil

Page 269
• Genuine Honda Motor Oil 0W-20
• API Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil
What exactly does your owner's manual say?

Old 06-18-2014, 03:04 AM
The manual for my L1.2 B 90 HP engine gives a wide range of opportunities starting from 0w20; 0w30; 5w20; 5w30; 10W30; 10W40 but also 15W50!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Wow! Lots of room for personal preference (and error) there. Your dealer wants to use the 10w40. Personally, I'd stay with the 0w20 or 5w20, maybe move to the 10W30 if I lived in a really hot place- like where it stayed over 100 degrees for a few months at a time.

But I'm not a chemist or otherwise an authority on motor oil. The dealers are what passes for an authority, and their recommendation is within Honda's specs. It's best not to call them idiots if you ever plan on needing them, and if you have any strong preference for the lighter weight oils just come across as odd and picky.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Great DIY video! I'm glad to see Honda made changing the oil in the Fit very simple. Getting to the filter on my 08 Si is a PITA, and it leaks oil all down the backside of the engine. I'm glad to see that the filter is easily accessible, and located at the bottom of the engine so it doesn't make a mess when removed.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Thanks for making a video. Just a tip about checking the level though. I noticed the dipstick was measured with the front of the car in the air.

When the car is tilted by jacking up the front it is tough to get an accurate dipstick reading. I typically fill it up to full (on the ramps) before cranking the engine. Then fire it up for about 10sec (don't like running it too long without checking again in case of a problem) to prime the oil filter. I usually roll it off the ramps at this point. Then shut it down and wait a couple minutes.
(If the low oil pressure light doesn't shut off immediately, turn off the car something is wrong!)

Take the final reading on level ground after waiting a couple minutes for drainback. If you take your dipstick reading immediately after shutdown you will overfill since there is oil in the cylinder head that hasn't drained back yet. Wait longer if your block and oil are really cold for some reason. But it's best to change the oil on a hot engine to get better drainage.

I like to double check levels after the next time I drive the car.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member

Red Rubber Funnel For Adding Oil

I did my first oil change today on our used 2013 Fit Sport. I found that jackstands weren't necessary. I snugly hung a 17mm box end wrench of the drain bolt, laid on the ground (on the driver's side, North America), put my foot on the wrench end and used leg muscle to break it loose. Nothing to it.

The most difficult part of the job was finding a funnel to add the fresh oil. That fill cap is in an awkward location. I finally located a nifty, smallish flexible rubber funnel which was perfect for the job.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
I've found that's the only semi-difficult/maddening thing on my Fit. Spilled 1/2 of a quart even with a funnel on my last change. I thought it was closer to a quart and added another full one. Now I'm overfilled but don't see any signs of aeration so I'm just going to leave it until the next change. I did take the filter off twice to drain some out but I'm still 1/2" above the full mark on the dipstick. Live and learn I guess. Good idea on the flexible funnel though. I'll have to get one for next year.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member
I made a funnel out of a fuel treatment bottle that has its nozzle / snout aligned with the edge of the plastic bottle (see picture). Just carefully cut the bottom off when empty.

The snout easily fits / is held in place by the valve cover fill hole. The off-set brings the funnel reservoir out from under heater / air conditioner airbox tray over the engine.

When you want to stop to check the oil level but want to start the engine to circulate the oil before doing the final top-off, just drop the snout of the bottle into the top of your ~5 qt jug oil so any dripping isn't wasted.

This is one of my most used funnels and least costly.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:10 AM
Nice write up

Old 12-27-2020, 10:03 PM
highly recommend this to make oil changes faster/cleaner

I got oil drain plugs from FUMOTO for all my vehicles including my 2008 Fit Sport. I have been doing my own oil changes for years and this has been a huge time saver. It has not only made oil changes faster and cleaner, but it has allowed me to easily drain oil out if I put too much in with ease. The oil does come out slower though since the drain hole is smaller. No biggie.

You will have to look up the exact model for your Fit but mine is this style
Amazon Amazon

I wouldn't worry about having the hose attachment or the clip locking thing (unless it comes free) - I've never had leaks with them. They aren't cheap but are well worth it imho.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
So, if one lives in a hot, humid climate like the Philippines; what oil would you recommend? 10w40? The dealerships here are now pushing 0w20 which I think is for cold environments.

Old 11-24-2023, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1

Red Rubber Funnel For Adding Oil

The most difficult part of the job was finding a funnel to add the fresh oil. That fill cap is in an awkward location. I finally located a nifty, smallish flexible rubber funnel which was perfect for the job.
I use one of those tall funnels with the real long tube on the bottom. Obviously it won't stand up by itself in the valve cover, so I just zip-tie it to the hood prop rod. That way it stays upright and I can pour the oil with no spills. It sure looks silly though but it works.