2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Fuel Door Loose

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:23 AM
Fuel Door Loose

Howdy!

I just picked up a 2010 Fit Sport MT over the weekend. Love it so far! It was in a rear drivers side accident but was repaired a few years ago. So far no serious issues, very clean, 47k miles on it. After driving around a bunch I went to get gas the other day and looking for the release in the cabin like my CRX I was perplexed on how to open the door! Thank goodness for google hah! Pretty sure I heard the guy next pump over chuckle.

Anyways! I digress. Once I got the fuel door open I noticed the whole assembly inside is loose. Looking online I figured out where the missing screw goes and how to remove the whole assembly. Only issue is how does it actually secure to the car? There doesn't look to be anything behind it to screw into. The filler neck cover is also missing, does it screw into that? A missing part on the fuel door assembly maybe? I'm perplexed! I haven't gone to the Honda dealer to pick up parts yet to avoid repeat trips. Anyone have any pics?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-08-2015, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Apologies for the image quality. My garage is rather dark at night, even with the light on. However, I grabbed these for you.

Mine is a 2010 Sport.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:57 PM
Hey thanks for the pics!

So mystery solved! The screw above the (clicky) door push is what I was missing but it also turns out there is a second piece of plastic behind the fuel door assembly that it screws into and sandwiches the rear metal part of the fuel door hole. Part # 74490-TK6-A00. Mine was shoved down inside between the fill neck and the body of the car. I picked up a new screw and very carefully put it back together the proper way. The mount just kind of slides onto the metal of the car with two little grooves. Mine were both cracked so I had to actually insert the mount through the hole where the fuel filler neck goes and work it over with my fingers until I could get it pressed in and screwed down. If you remove yours the mount may fall down inside the well so keep an eye out. All secure now!

For posterity,

Removing the fuel door,
http://www.scribd.com/doc/31701489/F...-Does-Not-Open

Plastic mount on rear of fuel door hole

Plastic mount removed from car

Fuel door assembly without the plastic mount attached

Fuel door assembly with the plastic mount attached

Last edited by Duggernought; 01-19-2015 at 03:51 PM.