2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Tail light bulb goes on but won't get brighter when brake applied

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Lightbulb Tail light bulb goes on but won't get brighter when brake applied

I searched and didn't see this exact question so here it goes: When I apply my brakes on my 2010 Base Level Fit, the hatchback top light brightens but my taillights do not. When I have my headlights on, the taillights are on but they do not brighten when applying the brake. So the bulb is not completely burned out.

Is it possible one level of the bulbs is burned out, or is this a fuse or electrical issue? (Seems kind of coincidental they would go out at the same time, but it's possible.) I know my horn works because I used it today, as do all of my other lights. Thoughts?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:01 PM
It's entirely possible that one of the two filaments in each bulb is burnt out. I think that's far more likely than a wiring problem or a fuse problem. (The working third brake light is on the same circuit, so the fuse must be OK.)

Maybe one of the two was burnt out for a little while without you noticing it; after all, it's not exactly simple to press the brake pedal and stare at the lights simultaneously, and most people don't stop in front of mirrors too frequently. It's also quite reasonable to guess that both bulbs might burn out around the same time since they are on together and were presumably manufactured in the same batch. I know even after fifteen years and a few replacements all the bulbs in the chandelier in the dining room of the house I grew up in tended to burn out in pretty close succession.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:21 PM
Thanks DrewE. It was the light bulbs. Glad that's all it was!