2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Maintenance for a Newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:05 PM
Maintenance for a Newbie?

Hi all! What a lovely community you have here, it's a bit overwhelming to a complete car novice like myself, but I'm excited to explore!

I bought a 2010 Honda Fit Sport Automatic used in April with 44k miles. I got a great deal from a family friend, and had a really positive experience. However I took them at their word that things were good maintenance wise. I've had no issues since then (and have driven ~2k miles so far).

(I love my car!)

I know nothing about cars, but I want to be sure to be taking meticulous care of mine. Can y'all recommend a maintenance schedule? Resources to explore? Things to make sure I'm doing, checking, etc?

Would it be worth going to my local dealer/independent mechanic and getting a "check up" or something like that?

Edit: Just saw this got moved, my bad/thanks!

Thanks in advance for your help, and I apologize if this is in the wrong area or bad etiquette or any such thing.

Last edited by marsy; 06-27-2015 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Thread got moved
Old 06-27-2015, 10:26 PM
The first step would be to scan through the maintenance information in your owner's manual. Most maintenance things are shown on the "Maintenance Minder" in the middle of the instrument cluster; when it's time for an oil change, a little wrench idiot light comes on and codes on the LCD screen tell what all service is recommended. There's a list of what the codes mean in the owner's manual.

There are a few things that are not covered by the maintenance minder. The oil should be changed after a year even if you haven't driven enough to trigger the maintenance minder. Brake fluid should be flushed and changed every three years or so, regardless of milage. Obvious wear items like light bulbs, tires, and windshield wiper blades need changing when they're worn out or broken.

The other side of care, so to speak, is care for the appearance of the car—washing, waxing, cleaning the interior, etc. Others here can give better advice on that than I can. I would suggest keeping an eye out for paint chips and applying touch-up paint if you find any; metal bodywork unprotected by paint will fairly soon develop rust. (This is a "couple times a year" sort of a job, not an "every other day" one.)

Old 06-28-2015, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Welcome.

Transmission drain/refill is done at 60k and then every 30k after that.
I believe radiator flush is every 60k
Plugs should be good for 100k
No timing belt (yay)
Air filter 30k but depends on the environment that you drive in.