What is overkill on speaker upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:23 PM
What is overkill on speaker upgrades?

I just got a new 2011 Fit Sport without Navi as I was considering I could get better for my money.

I was somewhat surprised at the low costs of car speakers,. Its seemed like you could get some real bang for your buck (compared to the stock) just by spending a little money. But i want to step it up a bit and dont know if it will be overkill. I really dont want to be the loud guy on the block nor draw attention to thieves. I do have a garage at home so security is only a half issue when i go places.

Starting from a 2000.00 price point (NOt including installation) I heard these in a store and really like them:

Focal 165 A1

165 VM

#1 question will these Fit? I wouldn't mind getting the smaller version and regular Focal Coaxial in the back. Crutchfield steers me to the smaller 130 Version (5 1/4) of the same set above....I also dont want to have issue with rolling down my front window. I really dont know much about speakers nor amps and i am not sure how loud this would be and I do not plan on having a separate sub.

I am pretty flexible on amp and head unit. Anyone have opinions on a build around these speakers or something similar? All help is appreciated. I am not doing the install myself.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by asten
I just got a new 2011 Fit Sport without Navi as I was considering I could get better for my money.

I was somewhat surprised at the low costs of car speakers,. Its seemed like you could get some real bang for your buck (compared to the stock) just by spending a little money. But i want to step it up a bit and dont know if it will be overkill. I really dont want to be the loud guy on the block nor draw attention to thieves. I do have a garage at home so security is only a half issue when i go places.

Starting from a 2000.00 price point (NOt including installation) I heard these in a store and really like them:

Focal 165 A1

165 VM

#1 question will these Fit? I wouldn't mind getting the smaller version and regular Focal Coaxial in the back. Crutchfield steers me to the smaller 130 Version (5 1/4) of the same set above....I also dont want to have issue with rolling down my front window. I really dont know much about speakers nor amps and i am not sure how loud this would be and I do not plan on having a separate sub.

I am pretty flexible on amp and head unit. Anyone have opinions on a build around these speakers or something similar? All help is appreciated. I am not doing the install myself.

Thanks.
You can get a GOOD system for less than $2000, and in my opinion, $2K is overkill if you're looking for a good everyday sound system that is great for your type of music and has a good thump when you want it.

Depending on your music type, I would stick with either 2-10" subs, or 1-12" sub. This suggestion is based on not knowing anything about your tastes, and only going for a budget system. I'll base it off my equipment.

Headunit - $200
Amp - $200
Subs - $300-$400 (depending on what you want to do)
Wiring - $100
Speakers - $200
Total = $1100.00

This of course does not include component front speakers(tweets), sub box build or installation. However installation is VERY easy and you can do it yourself.

If you want immediate better sound, replace the stock stereo right away. They provide additional power to the speakers and it will sound a LOT better immediately.

I would at least replace the headunit and speakers if you feel a custom system is out of reach or too much of a hassle. You'll notice the difference immediately too!

Old 04-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Red Rockit
You can get a GOOD system for less than $2000, and in my opinion, $2K is overkill if you're looking for a good everyday sound system that is great for your type of music and has a good thump when you want it.

Depending on your music type, I would stick with either 2-10" subs, or 1-12" sub. This suggestion is based on not knowing anything about your tastes, and only going for a budget system. I'll base it off my equipment.

Headunit - $200
Amp - $200
Subs - $300-$400 (depending on what you want to do)
Wiring - $100
Speakers - $200
Total = $1100.00

This of course does not include component front speakers(tweets), sub box build or installation. However installation is VERY easy and you can do it yourself.

If you want immediate better sound, replace the stock stereo right away. They provide additional power to the speakers and it will sound a LOT better immediately.

I would at least replace the headunit and speakers if you feel a custom system is out of reach or too much of a hassle. You'll notice the difference immediately too!
Right I figured the 2k price in if i were going to get one of the top end head units that would have Navi. I really didnt want a Sub because I think it would draw too much attention and i want to keep my cargo space. I also dont want my car rattling etc. I just wanted some really good high quality speakers that have great clarity. I did hear some polks that were pretty good.

What speakers did you decided to go with and what size were they?
Thanks for the quick reply btw.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
If you want to keep it simple and not run a sub, i suggest getting an alpine unit, alpine has a power pack that you can install with the headunit to give more power to the speakers, so you dont need to run an external amp.

link to power pack
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

alpine has a new w910bt that should be coming out soon. It has bluetooth, nav, hd tuner, etc. and you can use the alpine power pack. and just pick speakers of your choice. 6.5" front n rear. and you'll be good to go.

and you can put everything in stock location

2000 will be plenty for all of that, and you can probably get everything and get it installed for less than that as well.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by feared
If you want to keep it simple and not run a sub, i suggest getting an alpine unit, alpine has a power pack that you can install with the headunit to give more power to the speakers, so you dont need to run an external amp.

link to power pack
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

alpine has a new w910bt that should be coming out soon. It has bluetooth, nav, hd tuner, etc. and you can use the alpine power pack. and just pick speakers of your choice. 6.5" front n rear. and you'll be good to go.

and you can put everything in stock location

2000 will be plenty for all of that, and you can probably get everything and get it installed for less than that as well.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Yeah this is somewhat what I am looking for, I know NOTHING about car audio. I do understand that technology changes rapidly and this will affect the long term ownership of the head unit but as far as speakers go i want to get "The good shit" the first time around that will not leave me regretting a cheaper purchase. OTOH speakers are speakers and a good pair will last. I think if i were to spend 100.00 a pair on front and backs I may not be satisfied.

I was looking at the w900bt but if a new version is coming I would be willing to wait a while...is there an ETA on that? And as for the Alpine power pack the price is not that bad but would it be better to just spend 200.00 for an external amp?

Lastly is it true that the head unit is bolted down to a certain part of your car so if someone wanted to steal it, it would take considerable time and effort vs, it just being like a "smash-n-grab" that takes like 3 minutes? I may consider going with a cheaper head unit and just getting external navigation.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah this is somewhat what I am looking for, I know NOTHING about car audio. I do understand that technology changes rapidly and this will affect the long term ownership of the head unit but as far as speakers go i want to get "The good shit" the first time around that will not leave me regretting a cheaper purchase. OTOH speakers are speakers and a good pair will last. I think if i were to spend 100.00 a pair on front and backs I may not be satisfied.
I you want good stuff, get the polks, you won't regret it! As far as technology, you can have a good set of speakers and a good HU that cost you up to $400, and it is still would be good 5-6 years down the road.

I was looking at the w900bt but if a new version is coming I would be willing to wait a while...is there an ETA on that? And as for the Alpine power pack the price is not that bad but would it be better to just spend 200.00 for an external amp?
You might as well spend the money on an external A/B amp, and get a component set.

Lastly is it true that the head unit is bolted down to a certain part of your car so if someone wanted to steal it, it would take considerable time and effort vs, it just being like a "smash-n-grab" that takes like 3 minutes? I may consider going with a cheaper head unit and just getting external navigation.
yes and no. There is a rectangular metal sleeve(referred to as a "cage") that the HU slides into. This sleeve is held in place by metal tabs that recess into the stereo dash kit. So in one sense, they are fastened together, and it would take some umph to get it out. However if someone wants to steal your bling, they're gonna steal it.

My setup consists of 3 - 10" Phoenix Gold(PG) subs, each at 250W RMS, fed by an 800W PG single channel amp, standard headunit(HU) and 2 Infinity 6" front speakers. I had this setup in my Frontier several years ago, and it was a GOOD tight system. It was loud enough for my music tastes, but not to loud that it shook the truck apart. I bought a second 4 channel 100W PG amp to feed new speakers, that I never got around to installing. Now that I have the fit, I'm going to install them.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member

i suggested the power pack, since you wanted to keep everything functional, so it would be for ease of installation. no need to run wires, nothing additional, just wire it up /w the alpine headunit, and good to go.

but yes, an external amp would be better. they're no eta on the w910bt, they announced it at CES, so should be out this year.

the headunit is bolted down, but most aftermarket pieces are plastic, so it's not a "smash n grab" per say, but if someone really wanted it, no matter what it was, they could still find a way to get it.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:20 PM
TO all, Which POLK would be best to go with. I was steered by crutchfield to the DB6501. I also see they have nearly a 52/52 five star rating.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
If you can install it all yourself you will save a bundle, the Fit comes apart so easily, its not worth spending $400 for a store to put in a HU + amp + Speakers.

There are some DIY's and I can help on anything audio related in the Fit as well as a few others.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
TO all, Which POLK would be best to go with. I was steered by crutchfield to the DB6501. I also see they have nearly a 52/52 five star rating.
I am pretty sure Morel or Focal or Dynaudio (Esotar) or ScanSpeak will sound better than the Polk.
but you need a Nice Power Amp to drive the nice speaker so they can sound best.
Of course the price to performance ratio (bang for the buck) between Polk and (for example) Dynaudio Esotar might not be very good,

I mean the Polk might reach 90% of Dynaudio Performance with perhaps just 30% of the price of Dynaudio... but that last 10% of performance usually don't come cheap...

but if you want the best, then usually, money do not lie.
Yes there is some exception,...

I think if you can afford it and it make you happy,
go for it.

anyway, I understand that it had been 2 years since you start this thread,
so at the end, which brand of speaker did you eventually buy?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
polk has best bang for buck imho. and usually they are not deep so often times are a drop-in replacement with little or no additional clearance needed.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Keep the stock radio, add 10" Kicker bass station 249, speakers nothing more then 30/40rms with the alpine 4ch KTP-445U. Handles up to 45W RMS (continuous) for 149. You can get good speakers for 60-90 a pair. Kenwood, Pioneers etc.. thats 600 not including install.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
I installed HAT (Hybrid Audio Technology) Imagine speakers in my '08, replacing the stock speakers. I had heard quite a few good things about these and wasn't disappointed by their sound.

These are coaxial units; you can reposition the tweeter to a different location if you like, but I thought it best to leave the stock tweeter in place and run the Imagine with the tweeter centered within the mid. Also have to cut down the stock paper cone speaker to use as a frame for the new speaker; it'll be a little wide but you can still wedge it in.