INSTALLED: Sony XDP-PK1000 Digital Link Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Talking INSTALLED: Sony XDP-PK1000 Digital Link Sound System

Hi All,

After one year, here's my FIT. I wanted to keep it as stock as possible but thought the stock stereo set up is kinda lame. This is the best solution I found to keep everything the way it is but improve the sound quality. I've dealt with higher end speaker installs (Dynaudio, Diamond, MB Quartz, Morel, Rainbow, Soundstream, Precision Power, JL, etc) so this system in the box is not to be confused as high end. The money I saved, I can finally get that windshield replaced, lol.

Sony XDP-PK1000 Digital Link Sound System

Enjoy!
ThatGuyJM

All pics taken on 12/27/2012

As you can see, the iPhone5 Lighting connecter DOES WORK!

The DSP (Powers my internal speakers at 17W/RMS

Amp & Sub

Amp (Full access to spare tire & I can still fit my Specialized mountain bike in the back next to the sub)

Dock/Cradle - This piece is connected to the DSP/Amp under my driver's seat. This is the only way to control the audio. There are no knobs or switches on the Mono amp. I did sound tests/checks with Audio CD, MP3 CD, FM, AM, iPod Touch, iPhone4, iPhone5 (Sound Check On - EQ - Off). I set it to what sounded best, then coiled up the cable and hid it under the seat. The dock/cradle is unplugged and is in my glove box. Only time it comes out is if I want to do additional fine tuning/sound staging. Totally stealth was the plan.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by ThatGuyJM; 12-27-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Updated Pics
Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 PM
I like what I have read so far, but was wondering about the wiring.

You still have to run a wire to the amp in the back right? and rewire the 4 door speakers? just wondering.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by True Adrian
I like what I have read so far, but was wondering about the wiring.

You still have to run a wire to the amp in the back right? and rewire the 4 door speakers? just wondering.
Although it's a system in a box, it's a traditional amp wiring setup for both the DSP (also powers internal speakers) and the mono amp (powers sub). So no matter what, the wires have to be placed as well as possible, since you're starting from the battery under the hood, through the firewall, behind the deck, and under the seats. Wires are under the carpet BUT nicely tethered together. Just running the wires by themselves takes a few hours. Don't get me started with the time to remove the driver's seat, pulling off panels, making sure ABS light gets reset, blah blah blah.

The internal speakers don't have to be re-wired. The way the system is set up, it uses the existing speaker wires. When the harness gets installed behind the stock deck, the speaker wires connect to it.

It truly is a way to keep everything the same except have more power running to internal speakers and adding a 12" sub with 300watts going through it.

Last edited by ThatGuyJM; 01-04-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Issues with the DSP

Hi
After reading your post I bought the Sony XDP-PK1000 Digital Link Sound System for my car

But the issue with my setup is I am not getting proper bass input into my AMP (it is like less than 5%) of what it should actually be.

I thought if it was the RCA cables issue but they seem to work fine when I connect from other source into the Sub AMP

So RCA or AMP or Sub issue is ruled out.

The stock speakers sound much better now with the DSP. But the sub dosent come alive.

I am suspecting the inputs that I have sent into the DSP
Can you please explain what channel input from Stock Stereo was given into the DSP and what options you have selected on the DSP unit.

I would like to use the same options you have chosen and try to make it work.

Thanks
Ram

Originally Posted by ThatGuyJM
Although it's a system in a box, it's a traditional amp wiring setup for both the DSP (also powers internal speakers) and the mono amp (powers sub). So no matter what, the wires have to be placed as well as possible, since you're starting from the battery under the hood, through the firewall, behind the deck, and under the seats. Wires are under the carpet BUT nicely tethered together. Just running the wires by themselves takes a few hours. Don't get me started with the time to remove the driver's seat, pulling off panels, making sure ABS light gets reset, blah blah blah.

The internal speakers don't have to be re-wired. The way the system is set up, it uses the existing speaker wires. When the harness gets installed behind the stock deck, the speaker wires connect to it.

It truly is a way to keep everything the same except have more power running to internal speakers and adding a 12" sub with 300watts going through it.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:31 PM
I'll be glad to share whatever I can. Let me get this clear.

You mentioned that the sound of the stock speakers sound better. Is there any bass coming out of the sub at all?

Is the cradle "on"? do you have an ipod/iphone plugged in?

Does the sub sound "good" in any situation?

The main reason I am asking is if the internal speakers are sounding fine, the output to the amp should also be fine. My concern is that if it truly does sound ok to the speakers; you have the source properly connected.

The DSP should be using speaker wire as it's source of audio (not the best but the only option for this device).

Also, is there

Originally Posted by ramsreddy99
Hi
After reading your post I bought the Sony XDP-PK1000 Digital Link Sound System for my car

But the issue with my setup is I am not getting proper bass input into my AMP (it is like less than 5%) of what it should actually be.

I thought if it was the RCA cables issue but they seem to work fine when I connect from other source into the Sub AMP

So RCA or AMP or Sub issue is ruled out.

The stock speakers sound much better now with the DSP. But the sub dosent come alive.

I am suspecting the inputs that I have sent into the DSP
Can you please explain what channel input from Stock Stereo was given into the DSP and what options you have selected on the DSP unit.

I would like to use the same options you have chosen and try to make it work.

Thanks
Ram

Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 AM
Issues with DSP (Contd .. 1)

Hi

The source is CD audio

The Cradle is on it responds to remote and I can hear the treble and bass on the stock speakers change when i try with remote.

I press and increase the sub volume with remote but there is no result.

the source as you said is from the deck speakers out.
Can you exactly tell me what source you used to plug in as input for the DSP unit.

If you have any pics of the connection from car stereo to DSP please share. Also a snap of the settings on the DSP
I can try doing the same here and check.
For now Bass is like dead on the SUB.

Thanks

Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by ramsreddy99
Hi

The source is CD audio

The Cradle is on it responds to remote and I can hear the treble and bass on the stock speakers change when i try with remote.

I press and increase the sub volume with remote but there is no result.

the source as you said is from the deck speakers out.
Can you exactly tell me what source you used to plug in as input for the DSP unit.

If you have any pics of the connection from car stereo to DSP please share. Also a snap of the settings on the DSP
I can try doing the same here and check.
For now Bass is like dead on the SUB.

Thanks
Sorry, no pics of install.

DSP Settings
SW Location: Mid
Trunk: N
Vehicle Size: S
Input Select: 4

The wiring from the deck to the DSP should be the smaller harness that plugs into the HIGH LEVEL INPUT plug. It should be four wires that you splice into the wires going from the deck to the speakers. Make sure you the Input Select on the DSP is set to how many wires you connect (2 or 4 speakers). This is your source. It sounds like it's working since you can change the volume, treble, and bass.

The wiring from the DSP to the Amp is using the bigger harness; acc, ground, battery, power to Amp, and the RCA. This harness will also have the wires to power your speakers (we know this is correct since you can change volume through the cradle). Does the amp light up? Is it powered? If it does light up, you will have to review the wiring diagram from the manual for more details but it leaves you to check the ACC, ground, and battery wires. One suggestion to check the amp is to plug in an iPod or equivalent into the RCA input of the amp and see if it works (You will need a 1/8" to RCA cable). If there is bass, there's an issue with the connection to DSP or DSP output is not working. If there is no sound, check wiring. Also, check fuses.

Last edited by ThatGuyJM; 02-21-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Question the system

First, thank you for this post. I am so close to buying this system but had concerns. I have an iPhone 5 and was curious if I could still make it work. Appreciate any help with these questions:

- Can a 30pin adapter fit in the dock/cradle to still plug in the '5'? Does the top arm adjust high enough or come off?
- Is the cable to the dock/cradle 30pin so I could put the adapter there?
- I see a lighting cord from your glove box. Where does that go?
- Any recommendations on to incorporate the '5' with this system?

Main thing, I want to put the system in my 99 4Runner but also want to be able to plug my iPhone 5 into it. I do not need to mount it on the dash but want to be able to plug it in somehow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
KM

Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by KM99-4Runner
First, thank you for this post. I am so close to buying this system but had concerns. I have an iPhone 5 and was curious if I could still make it work. Appreciate any help with these questions:

- Can a 30pin adapter fit in the dock/cradle to still plug in the '5'? Does the top arm adjust high enough or come off?
- Is the cable to the dock/cradle 30pin so I could put the adapter there?

Main thing, I want to put the system in my 99 4Runner but also want to be able to plug my iPhone 5 into it. I do not need to mount it on the dash but want to be able to plug it in somehow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
KM
Bad news buddy. DO NOT BUY IT.

No, this WILL NOT work with a 5, I tried many things to make this work but no luck.

- Is the cable to the dock/cradle 30pin so I could put the adapter there? No, it looks like it but it's really some proprietary cable, I tried to do this.

Stock Honda USB connection

You can't. I've tried to come up with workarounds but you can't. This only works with a deck (stock or aftermarket) that has a USB input already.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Thx JM

I was afraid of that. Appreciate the info. You did say that it makes a big difference to your factory system and that you do not have to use the dock/cradle, right? I can get the system through Crutchfield for $200 and think it may be a nice addition to my truck (good price for 2 amps/sub).

But to your point, I would have to buy a head unit at some point if I wanted plug in my 5.

Did you ever try an adapter in the cradle (30pin to lightening)? I am sure the cradle arm is too short but didn't know if an adapter would squeeze in the cradle or not. Some of the new adaptors are pretty slim. I even consider tearing the cradle apart to just have the 30pin so I could put an adapter on it and use it without the cradle, just a cord and adapter.

Thanks again JM.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 PM
I bought mine from Crutchfield at that ridiculous price the day the price dropped.

The 30-pin to Lightning adaptor can fit because it is a 30-pin connector on the cradle. You'll have to trim the arm to fit the iPhone. My concern is that the cradle is built to fit an iPhone4 snug. I have older iPods that I put in there just to "test" it and it was wobbly. The only thing that fit it even close is an iPod Touch and the iPhone 3G. Even if you were to shave off part of the cradle to fit everything, it's wobbly enough that I wouldn't be surprised if the lightning plug on the adaptor broke off on the first day. I highly suggest not to use this product for an iPhone5.

You're going to like (I mean hate) this part. I also thought about tearing up the cradle and re-wiring/re-soddering the wires so it goes from dsp to adaptor to iPHone5. WILL NOT WORK. There is no documentation on the cable. The cable from the DSP goes to the BACK of the cradle into a proprietary female outlet which enables the cradle to power up. There is no direct connection between the end of the cable from the DSP to the male 30-pin on the cradle. The cradle is what makes it possible which means it is MANDATORY. You cannot bypass the cradle in ANY SITUATION. (this sucks)

If you are planning on buying new deck to use for iPhone, then the DSP is redundant. I see the DSP as a deck alternative for power and audio sourcing.

I think you're stuck to asking yourself, "Is the sub and amp worth $200". For me and my install, the answer is yes but if you were going to get a new deck anyway, you may be fine with that route unless you really wanted a sub.

Cheers!
JM

Last edited by ThatGuyJM; 02-22-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Just ordered the XDP-PK1000 for my daughter's car

Question: the adapter you guys are talking about...does it look something like this?

iPod input converter to regular MP3 plug (iPod female to 3.5mm plug cable) 4FT

Scroll down on the above page as it gives a real good closeup pic of the plug structure. Since this is only converting to auxiliary do you think it would work, or did you try something like this?

Thanks for this discussion, it was exactly the info I was looking for!

Old 02-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by mohoosier
Question: the adapter you guys are talking about...does it look something like this?

iPod input converter to regular MP3 plug (iPod female to 3.5mm plug cable) 4FT

Scroll down on the above page as it gives a real good closeup pic of the plug structure. Since this is only converting to auxiliary do you think it would work, or did you try something like this?

Thanks for this discussion, it was exactly the info I was looking for!
Not sure which one you're referring to. In the latest gen FIT, the adaptor you provided isn't needed. Let me know since I'm not sure what you're referring to. In my install, there is no extra adaptors needed.

Last edited by ThatGuyJM; 02-25-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Interesting

Not sure which one you're referring to. In the latest gen FIT, the adaptor you provided isn't needed. Let me know since I'm not sure what you're referring to. In my install, there is no extra adaptors needed.
That was not the adapter I was referring to but I believe that would work. Never saw that kind before. JM, his adapter would plug into cradle/dock (30 pin) then into the headphone jack of the iPhone 5. I could lay it in my center console instead of propping it up. One thing that I would be certain of is that the skip and volume controls on the cradle/dock would not work. I think Sony messed up by not having a jack into on the cradle to start with. That way any player would work.
Thanks mohoosier for the other option to consider. What do you think JM?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 PM
That was not the adapter I was referring to but I believe that would work. Never saw that kind before. JM, his adapter would plug into cradle/dock (30 pin) then into the headphone jack of the iPhone 5. I could lay it in my center console instead of propping it up. One thing that I would be certain of is that the skip and volume controls on the cradle/dock would not work. I think Sony messed up by not having a jack into on the cradle to start with. That way any player would work.
Thanks mohoosier for the other option to consider. What do you think JM?
Great Scott! I understand now and I want to say it will work but my gut is saying no. Here's my rationale, that adaptor is a traditional 3.5 mm jack which is just a stereo connection. You still need the intelligent connection between the cradle and the iPhone. The cradle needs to acknowledge connection with the device, if it can do that with the adaptor, GREAT.

Here's what happens when everything is in working order.

When you plug in an iPhone/device into the cradle (not sure if this also applies to the adaptor), you are in "Cradle Mode". The cradle "takes control" of the system, audio control now belong to the cradle. For example, if you want to switch from iPhone to Radio or raise the volume, you would have to do it through the remote or the cradle itself. You will still be able to tune AM/FM but audio settings (volume, bass/treble, fade/balance) is controlled by the cradle. In this case, the cradle should be in arms length or in line of sight to the remote.

When you unplug the iPhone, everything works the same as it did before. The deck has full control again like it's running by itself.

If you want, I can send you the PDF of the owner's manual. The instructions are pretty good.

Last edited by ThatGuyJM; 02-25-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Great Scott! I understand now and I want to say it will work but my gut is saying no. Here's my rationale, that adaptor is a traditional 3.5 mm jack which is just a stereo connection. You still need the intelligent connection between the cradle and the iPhone. The cradle needs to acknowledge connection with the device, if it can do that with the adaptor, GREAT.

Here's what happens when everything is in working order.

When you plug in an iPhone/device into the cradle (not sure if this also applies to the adaptor), you are in "Cradle Mode". The cradle "takes control" of the system, audio control now belong to the cradle. For example, if you want to switch from iPhone to Radio or raise the volume, you would have to do it through the remote or the cradle itself. You will still be able to tune AM/FM but audio settings (volume, bass/treble, fade/balance) is controlled by the cradle. In this case, the cradle should be in arms length or in line of sight to the remote.

When you unplug the iPhone, everything works the same as it did before. The deck has full control again like it's running by itself.

If you want, I can send you the PDF of the owner's manual. The instructions are pretty good.
Well, this may be $200 question. I would assume that just plugging in the 30pin for the 3.5 jack would not trigger it (could be wrong). I would assume that the lightening adapter would trigger it but doubt it for the 3.5 jack. I may risk trying to use a lightening adapter and build a custom case integrating the cradle. I have a hard time passing up on two amps and sub for $200. And I may get it to work with the '5' or I may not.

Thanks for the offer on the manual. I downloaded from Crutchfield, assuming it is the same one. May call Sony tech to see if they know what it would take to trigger the system.

Appreciate all the ideas and candidness.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Well, this may be $200 question. I would assume that just plugging in the 30pin for the 3.5 jack would not trigger it (could be wrong). I would assume that the lightening adapter would trigger it but doubt it for the 3.5 jack. I may risk trying to use a lightening adapter and build a custom case integrating the cradle. I have a hard time passing up on two amps and sub for $200. And I may get it to work with the '5' or I may not.

Thanks for the offer on the manual. I downloaded from Crutchfield, assuming it is the same one. May call Sony tech to see if they know what it would take to trigger the system.

Appreciate all the ideas and candidness.
You are asking yourself the same questions I asked myself. LOL

Just remember, the DSP does 17Wx4 but isn't an amp, it's intelligent, it TAKES OVER the system. I compare it to a new deck without the deck. That is THE BIGGEST surprise when everything was done.

I was thinking the same way as you were, more watts for internal speakers instead of the 2-3watts from a stock deck and a monoamp/sub in a box, for $200 with free shippping and no tax, that's a screaming deal.

I say, GO FOR IT. I did, and am super happy.

Good Luck!

Last edited by ThatGuyJM; 02-26-2013 at 06:46 PM.