2013 sport non-nav OEM head unit speaker pinouts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:06 PM
Exclamation 2013 sport non-nav OEM head unit speaker pinouts?

adding a 5 channel amp with speaker level ins. Who knows the OEM head unit connector speaker pinouts for a 2013 sport no nav? I need to splice into the Fl/r and Rl/r speaker outs? Help Please...

Old 03-17-2015, 11:18 PM
Exclamation and while I'm at it, 32GB USB 3.0 issues

Sorry to combine, flat-earther can't figure out how to post a separate thread. 32GB USB 3.0 stick IS NOT completely seen by the OEM head. WTF??? It's recognizing about a 3rd of the stick. Where the eff are the OEM specs, it's like a snipe hunt with Honda Ninjas...

Old 03-18-2015, 12:47 AM
Old 03-18-2015, 01:03 AM
Also, with regard to the USB, the OEM head unit may have capacity limitations. When you say "about a third" that makes me think it's about 8gb or so, which would be about right for an OEM head unit.

The other issues you may want to look at are formatting (is it formatted in FAT32 (maximum partition size 8GiB, so you may have multiple partitions) or NTFS (maximum partition size 256TiB). NTFS might not be fully recognised by the head unit. You might also want to try a USB 2.0 stick, because high speed USB sticks may not be fully compatible with all units.

Honda expect most users to have small, basic USB drives, so they plan for that to save costs. The more advanced your storage device, the more it costs to get the unit to work with it.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
For starters, why are you adding an amp to the oem head unit? The OE HU is horrible in comparison to cheap aftermarket units and you are seriously limiting the capability of the amp by not upgrading the HU first.

Rule of thumb is to upgrade the lowest quality component first (which in this case is the HU), then reevaluate the system to find the "new" lowest quality components (probably the speakers). Then Add an Amp. (Kind of like Adding Pirelli PZero tires to a Yugo - without the Engine, chassis, or suspension - you will never realize the benefit of the tires and simply wasting your money)

Since you are going to be running cables from the back of the HU anyway to the location of the amp, you might as well run a set of RCA Preamp cables instead of all of those speaker cables to the amp.

A decent Head unit (something 100x better than the OEM HU) is going to be $200 or less and will have much better USB navigation (the whole reason I personally got rid of the OE HU)

As for formatting, 8GB is not the maximum size for FAT32. Windows can only format a FAT32 disk at a max of 32GB but larger support is definitely doable (with 3rd party formatting utilities) That said, you aren't going to want to navigate on the OE HU through 32GB of MP3's to find that one song you want to listen to.

The added benefit of an aftermarket is integrated bluetooth. Besides phone calls, you can stream pandora, store your music on your phone and use voice control to get to the songs you want to listen to.

I have a JVC Head unit that I installed as I didn't need anything special. Slickdeals had a Double-Din pioneer (I believe) with 2 sets of preamp outputs (no sub output) for $99 with Bluetooth about a week ago.

~SB

Old 03-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for all your replies - they are appreciated! In reverse order:

USB stick is FAT32: WinXP and Yosemite BOTH access the ENTIRE stick as do other after mkt mfg's head units, so I'm assuming Honda's OEM head is monumentally obtuse (save $0.02/unit cost) since they publish ZERO/ZILTCH/NADA specs for the effing USB interface. OK, fine, I'll do multi 8GB sticks, I can deal with that... Listen to Neil (The Band 'n Limbaugh - "One Nation under Allah...", TRUE THAT SHITE, we deserve what we elect), Ian, Bonzo, Keith, Buddy, Ed, and Louie (OMFG, society DOES NOT create drummers like THAT anymore)... Anyway, TY for your responses...

OEM head: I've been doing car audio for 30+ yrs (a/d/s/ orion, focal, audiocontrol and JLA installs) and I just... do... not... want to eff with replacing the OEM head for a multitude of reasons. Thank you c3kay for the pinouts!

Old 03-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
As for formatting, 8GB is not the maximum size for FAT32. Windows can only format a FAT32 disk at a max of 32GB but larger support is definitely doable (with 3rd party formatting utilities) That said, you aren't going to want to navigate on the OE HU through 32GB of MP3's to find that one song you want to listen to.
I have no idea why I said that.

Let me do an embarrassing backtrack. On a default format FAT32 formatted drives can have issues over 8GB. Cluster size over 8GB on FAT32 is larger than 4kb. If the cluster size is larger than the head unit is capable of reading, you'll have trouble seeing the whole drive.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by azhtfreak
Thank you SO MUCH for all your replies - they are appreciated! In reverse order:

USB stick is FAT32: WinXP and Yosemite BOTH access the ENTIRE stick as do other after mkt mfg's head units, so I'm assuming Honda's OEM head is monumentally obtuse (save $0.02/unit cost) since they publish ZERO/ZILTCH/NADA specs for the effing USB interface. OK, fine, I'll do multi 8GB sticks, I can deal with that... Listen to Neil (The Band 'n Limbaugh - "One Nation under Allah...", TRUE THAT SHITE, we deserve what we elect), Ian, Bonzo, Keith, Buddy, Ed, and Louie (OMFG, society DOES NOT create drummers like THAT anymore)... Anyway, TY for your responses...

OEM head: I've been doing car audio for 30+ yrs (a/d/s/ orion, focal, audiocontrol and JLA installs) and I just... do... not... want to eff with replacing the OEM head for a multitude of reasons. Thank you c3kay for the pinouts!
Understood. I'm "Nick Burns, your company's Computer guy" - last thing I want to do when I get home is do more computer work.

That said, the FIT is the easiest of the installs I've done. (Multiple Integras, Civics, a Prelude, Neon, VW Rabbit pickup, Vanagon,... and the list goes on). No pressure, just sayin' it's a 30 min job.

~SB