Help Please: Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Help Please: Camera Installation

Hi all,

I am installing the Alpine Carplay ILX-007 and a somewhat generic (but "made for Fit and CRV") rear - view camera into our base 2012 Honda Fit.
Being a car and electric dummy, I need help understanding a couple of loose wires

If I am understanding correctly,
The Yellow plug ends up in the car stereo, while the red plug and its extension tap into the wires for the reverse lights to power the camera.

I do not understand the reason(s) for the snippets of red wire that are found at the connection of a yellow plug and its extension, or the final yellow plug before the receiver. Photo link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Eric

Old 03-18-2015, 06:02 PM
If you're terrible with electrics, then I'd pay someone to do it for you. Better $100 now than $$$$ later on a new loom. Did your reversing camera not come with fitting instructions? You can get OEM units, the actual ones that go in factory Fits, from AliExpress. Is it one of those?

Anyway. The red wire is a trigger wire. You're going to be hooked up to the reverse switch normally, so when you go into reverse the camera powers on. That additional red wire should be for a manual trigger so you can turn the camera on when you're not reversing.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Thanks c3kay,

The additional red wire are on each end of the video extension cable (see picture). Do they both serve the same function ?

To answer your question: I could pay to have it done, but then I would never learn. Granted, it would be better to learn from a friend or family but I come from a family of bookworms

Old 03-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Hi Green Leaf. Yes, they're both just the power wire. If you wanted to take your power from the front of the car instead of the reversing light, you could. You'd just hook that red wire up to the camera instead of to the reversing light. Or you could hook the front wire up to a switch and the back wire to the reversing light. Then you flick the switch and the reversing light comes on with the camera.

You shouldn't hook the front up to a power source and the back to the reversing light circuit, because then your reversing light would be on all the time.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:33 PM
As promised -- time for a dumb wiring question

I was unable to pass the yellow plug through the rubber insulation tube that 'connects' the hatch to the sheet metal of the car so I cut the plug off and passed the cable by itself. A that point I had raw wires on one end, and a yellow plug on the other. I decided to cut off the other yellow plug, thinking it would be simpler to just combine the the two raw ends together.

The cable end closest to the camera has a red and black wire, while the end closest to the receiver has three wires -- red, black and yellow.

Am I right in thinking that the camera cable should have a wire for video and a wire for reference/ground, so that the connections go like this:

red to yellow -- video signal
black to black -- reference/ground ?

Thanks!
Eric

Old 03-20-2015, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
Best way to do it is to replace both ends with new connectors. (relatively cheap and fairly easy to do, especially if you have access to a compression tool). Video RCA Cables prefer not to be spliced but that's not to say it isn't doable. Search for Splicing RCA Cables. there are some DIY sites that have some info.

Most RCA connections have a video cable that runs down the center and a Shield.

good luck and let us know how it comes out.

~SB