2nd Generation GE8 Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Wrecked the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Wrecked the Fit

Happened yesterday, Friday the 13th

Came around a corner in the wet too fast, there's a small rise in the middle of it that got the car light, and around she went on the driver's side. Slid across a yard a good distance and ended up on my side in a ditch. I think the ditch saved me from rolling the car completely. Had to crawl out of the passenger window to get out.

Hurts just a little more because I've just recently got the car looking the way I've wanted it to for years...just literally last weekend. I had also just had the car aligned nicely and it felt great...oh well, lesson learned...slow down in the wet.

So far just from my untrained eyes looking at the damage, it looks like the following will need replacing:

LF Fender
Small piece of plastic in front of the first window
Left mirror
Left Passenger door possibly
Sideskirt
Rear bumper
Rear twist beam axle, don't see how it couldn't need replacing with how the wheel looks
Rear strut/spring/sway bar? Don't know of anything else back there since the gas tank is further forward.
Airbags deployed from the driver's seat and the side curtain, they destroyed the headliner and ripped my seat open, don't know if the seat will have to be replaced or not, headliner will.
Seatbelt isn't retracting
Hatch isn't closing good on the right side
Driver's window went up after the wreck but didn't sound happy about it.
Haven't tried starting it or anything but all looks fine under the hood.
Not sure about frame, impact must have been stronger than I remember because when I opened the hatch, one of the small interior plastics had popped out.

Interested to hear the amount to fix it, probably won't be cheap. Overall I feel like the car held up well though.

These pics were after I pushed it back over on 4 wheels, of course.

Name:  IMAG0792.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  156.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0795.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  132.9 KB

How she sits now
Name:  IMAG0796.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  157.8 KB

Old 07-14-2012, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
The bright side is you hurt no one else, apparently did little property damage, and you are not hurt. Cars can be fixed. I'm glad you are ok.

Last edited by AC7880; 07-14-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM
At least you're alive and well. Sucks that this had to happen. But I'm sure you'll get it replaced and get it back in the game.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:02 PM
At least you missed the ominous looking pole sticking out the ground a little ways back

I almost got broadsided yesterday (Friday 13th) by a lady on her cell that ran a red, if I hadn't slowed down for a dip in the intersection I would have been in a world of hurt.

At least you're ok. Get a disk brake rear axle!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
That sucks. Glad you are okay! I see that the suspension has been modified and am curious as to what you were running when this happened. I broke the rear end loose pretty easy the other day with just springs (that I have only had a few weeks.) Basically I'm wondering if they are coilovers or springs. You lost traction, and said you were going fast, but part of me wants to blame the car too. With poor, worn our dampers on springs, you might have lost contact with the road unnecessarily.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Eibach ProKit - wasn't the suspensions fault in my opinion. The road right before this turn was still wet, the section I spun on wasn't but tires were still wet and I had just got an alignment where the toe was adjusted slightly, felt a lot different so all those factors combined did it...that and the fact that I was just going too fast.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:00 PM
not a rocketship

Old 07-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Glad you are ok first of all.That's the thing about the streets compared to the controlled evironment of the track.

I've been running hard in the canyons in one direction and the road was clear.

Then coming back on the same road I hit water,rocks debris you name it.
The conditions constantly change.

Hopefully your insurance will take care of you and you can get your Fit back in rare form.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:36 PM
You're looking at over 5k in damage, Ins Co may just total it.....at that point you'll loose, try to not get it totaled & repair it, if not maybe they'll allow you to buy it back for cheap, problem is it will have a rebuilt title....but then again there will be issues with the history since Ins. will be involved

Old 07-15-2012, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
thats what happens when you drive so fast carelessly. luckly you or anyone else were not injured. my advice: slow down

Old 07-15-2012, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by urbanoutfit
thats what happens when you drive so fast carelessly. luckly you or anyone else were not injured. my advice: slow down
Wasn't driving carelessly, never do...made a mistake is all and was fortunate to not involve anyone else. Don't need a "holier than thou" speech, because I'm sure you are not.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:37 PM
By the looks of the left rear wheel you may have bent the unibody. Daughter did that to a civic and it was declared total, to far off to ever straighten again. Keep us informed.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Glad to hear you are alright and no one else was injured. Sucks about the car though. Looks like you put quite a bit of money in it.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Ouch! Glad to know you got out ok... but dang did your Fit get the brunt of that accident. From the looks of it, the driver rear tire/wheel took the initial point of impact (judging by how your rear wheel is cambered now).

As far as your doors, I think you might be able to get away with a re-skin. It doesn't look like your rear quarter is damaged much if at all.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hondafrk
Wasn't driving carelessly, never do...made a mistake is all and was fortunate to not involve anyone else. Don't need a "holier than thou" speech, because I'm sure you are not.
you said it yourself in your first post: "Came around a corner in the wet too fast", that sounds like careless-ness right there, i'm surprised the police didn't give you a driving without caution ticket at the scene

Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Says the man (boy) with a broken car in a ditch.
More bumper (window) stickers than sense.

I am definitely not "holier than thou art" as I have been responsible for sliding a car into a ditch. Inebriation, handbrake turns, surface variation, and youth are not happy bedfellows. I will admit to my mistakes though. Just not to my folks when I'm 17.

Glad no one was hurt.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EpilepticFit
Says the man (boy) with a broken car in a ditch.
More bumper (window) stickers than sense.

I am definitely not "holier than thou art" as I have been responsible for sliding a car into a ditch. Inebriation, handbrake turns, surface variation, and youth are not happy bedfellows. I will admit to my mistakes though. Just not to my folks when I'm 17.

Glad no one was hurt.
You are who? Don't recall quoting you.

Call me whatever you please, say what you want about my "lack of sense" as you put it.

I've already admitted to my mistakes, but I would never agree that I drive or was driving carelessly.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
Looks to have held up ok, but I believe airbag deployment = totaled. Do you mind telling us how fast you were going id like to know sharp the turn was also. Did you brake when entering the turn? That may have contributed glad no one was hurt

Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
That sucks man. I will heed your advice and take it easy in the rain, as I feel I get overconfident in my fit at times. Also, did you ever notice your rear window rain visors are on the wrong sides? They are supposed to line up with the front ones right at the door seam. I put mine on wrong too and switched them just recently.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Happened yesterday, Friday the 13th

Came around a corner in the wet too fast, there's a small rise in the middle of it that got the car light, and around she went on the driver's side. Slid across a yard a good distance and ended up on my side in a ditch. I think the ditch saved me from rolling the car completely. Had to crawl out of the passenger window to get out.
Eibach ProKit - wasn't the suspensions fault in my opinion. The road right before this turn was still wet, the section I spun on wasn't but tires were still wet and I had just got an alignment where the toe was adjusted slightly, felt a lot different so all those factors combined did it...that and the fact that I was just going too fast.

Actually, yes you where driving carelessly. You even say so in your other two post, that I put in bold.

You are who? Don't recall quoting you.

Call me whatever you please, say what you want about my "lack of sense" as you put it.

I've already admitted to my mistakes, but I would never agree that I drive or was driving carelessly.
Ok, then please tell me and everyone else how would you describe your driving that resulted in you losing control of your car, sliding across a yard and ending up in a ditch?

care·less 1) Not giving sufficient attention or thought to avoiding harm or errors
2) (of an action or its result) Showing or caused by a lack of attention: "a careless error".

Last edited by MNfit; 07-18-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Wrecked the Fit