2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

DD Fit handling

Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 AM
DD Fit handling

So, the GE is TECHNICALLY the wifey's, but since I have a 40-mile commute each way, every day, and my rig is a lifted '09 Wrangler (6-speed, 35's, and 4.88's=~16 MPG ), I tend to steal it a lot. I love the way it drives, but, like every other car I've ever owned, I plan to mod it to a theme. For the GE, the theme is a 100% reliable daily driver that can be fun as hell, but with ZERO compromise. No harsh ride, no rattles and squeaks, and no visible mods, especially inside (save the sexy Mugen shift knob ).

So, I put in the Progress rear "sway" bar (in quotes since it's more of an additional torsion bar, but I digress... ), and that helped get the tail a little happier, but I'm still noticing way more body roll and understeer than I'd like, even when only mildly pushed. There's more tail work now, but it feels more like it's pre-loading to pop a wheel off the ground than to slide when rotating, which I'm not too keen on.

I'm looking for any ideas that'll help improve the handling balance without compromising the ride, or daily (read: wife) drivability. While I'm a former professional (really- pro, as in paid, not as in I drive fast on the highway and THINK I'm a race driver ) racing driver (Subaru), she's, well, fairly hopeless, but in training I'd rather not lower it, as where we live now has a few rather large speed bumps that already require care at stock ('10 M/T Sport) height, but would consider a set if they REALLY would help.

Thanks guys Mark W.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
I'm a bit green when it comes to "driving fast and hard." And I have no credentials to back the following up...

But, it sounds like you need a good suspension mod. I changed my springs to the Swift springs and it changed the two things you talked about... body roll and understeer. At least, as felt by me.

When I made the change, I was able to take the on ramps to highways at higher speeds and even come off the highways at higher speeds. When turning around a street corner, either at the more legal 15mph or the faster speeds, I don't feel the car "leaning" as much as it used to.

Unfortunately, the Swift springs will lower the car approximately 1" in the rear and 1.2" in the front. So, if you're indeed having height issues, this will only make them worse.

I suppose you could try putting the Swifts or similar springs, with something else to raise the car. However, I think lowering the car (even by just an inch) is part of the reason for the change in the behavior of the car in turns.

There's always the option to go with the more expensive coil over sets (if they can bring the ride back up to stock height)... but again, if the act lowering the car is part of the change, then re-raising the car could minimize any effects.

ps. I'm quite thankful to various members on this forum (Texas Coyote and Black3ser among others) for convincing me to go with the spring change... I am enjoying my Fit far more than I expected myself to enjoy any car.

Last edited by Goobers; 03-23-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
I recently posted a https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...uspension.htmlvery similar question recently. Our situations, taste and desires are very alike. I too was led down the Swift Springs path and it strikes a pretty amazing balance between sporty handling, comfort ( wife thinks the car feels more solid & stable and not at all uncomfortable.). I'm waiting on a rear sway bar and a bunch of chassis braces (my own choice, not necessarily what other sensible folks suggested.) As for the lower ride height, it's a toss-up since it's firmer but yes, I take my driveway more cautiously but honestly, it makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive, the concession is so worth it.

Keep in touch!

Joel

Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Hmm- has anyone measured the actual lowering with the Swift springs? Also, who's a good vendor for Swift? Thanks for the input- keep it coming!

Also, does anyone make a decent set of shocks/struts for the GE yet? Mark W.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
The answers you seek are all over this forum. I got mine, as suggested by the forum, at Evasive Motorsports for $254 shipped. Regarding drop, it's 1.2in front, 1.0 rear. Pretty subtle I think. As for dampers, the Swifts were designed for the stock struts/shocks and after driving on them for almost 2 weeks, I agree, springs alone really wakes the car up and makes you wonder why Honda didn't ship the Sport this way to start with. Like you, I wanted new struts too & looked at the Mugen setup bug couldn't find a good enough back to back comparison to justify spending 4-5x more money.

Joel

Ps: the revo short shifter is nice too

Old 03-23-2011, 01:37 PM
J's racing and mugen coilovers both offer much better handling with little to no compromise in ride comfort and a minimal drop (around 1 inch or less). I believe skunk2 or blox makes a front sway bars for the fit. You will lessen the body roll but also tighten the front up more than the rear and change the nature of the car back to more of an understeering rather than oversteering tendency. Other than that, look into underbody bracing and if you are willing to have a FEW visible mods, a roof bar will lessen that tipping feeling that seems to plague these cars.

The GE has a great frame with incredible chassis rigidity and the guys at spoon have sung its praises for a reason. Oh, and the stock tires blow hard, get some decent rubber. I'd suggest a nice lightweight set of wheels too, but you want the stock look.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Well, coilovers, new wheels, and other $$$ are out. I forgot to mention low-buck is key The Fit is meant to stay as an economy car first and foremost- dropping thousands for a little bit of gain simply isn't worth it to me. On a track car, sure, but anything I drive on the street stays fairly stock until it becomes a secondary vehicle Mark W.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
the swift springs were great because the drop is very mild, and you still retain a very comfortable ride, no harshness at all. It's not too stiff, so you don't have to slow all the way down for the bumpy stuff. when i was riding on these springs, i pretty much drove like the suspension was completely stock. i believe it helped a great deal with body roll as well.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by thaduke2003
Well, coilovers, new wheels, and other $$$ are out. I forgot to mention low-buck is key The Fit is meant to stay as an economy car first and foremost- dropping thousands for a little bit of gain simply isn't worth it to me. On a track car, sure, but anything I drive on the street stays fairly stock until it becomes a secondary vehicle Mark W.
I pretty much felt the same as you about having a low buck approach to what to do to my car.. I have $700 worth of stuff here right now that I need to install and another $475 worth of stuff on the way.. I won't even go into the total amount I've spent but I can't find room under the hood for a catch can I need to install and I am pretty sure I could do 0 to 60 in under 6 seconds if my front tires were hooking up before 40 MPH.... I think the best all around things I have done has been to install Enkei RPF1 wheels and Swift Sport Mach springs.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
new tires and keep everything else stock.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Something I should say- I'm not really looking to swap out tires. The stockers have 4K miles on them, and plenty to go. I'm not really one to throw out perfectly good stuff (if you saw my garage, you'd already know this ), and they're not all bad. They're pretty communicative about when they'll lose grip (EARLY! ), and roll down the road just fine. I know they give up pretty easily, but for a light car with little power, they'll do- Mark W.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
swift sport springs or GF210 will greatly improve cornering! the lowered height is also great when it's very windy!

you should also get a ETC throttle controller, very fun on acceleration, and you can put it on normal mode whenever you want too!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 PM
I actually just found a killer deal on a set of scratch & dent Eibach Pro-Kit springs. I've used their springs on dozens of vehicles over the years, and have never had anything less than stellar experiences- great customer service and support, and great quality components- looking forward to putting them in this weekend! Mark W.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
good choice, but i think the drop is slightly more agressive than the other options

Old 03-31-2011, 10:15 PM
I know, but for the deal I got, even if I hate it, I could still flip them and make my money back no problem Mark W.