2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Over Kill on front Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Over Kill on front Brakes!

I have a EJ1 that I was going to build, but I just don't have the dedication or time to work on it, and I keep wanting to Mod my Fit since it my DD and come to the conclusion to drop the EJ1 and just work on the Fit.
So here is where the Over Kill part comes into play. I was checking out fastbrakes.com and saw a 11" Front BBK for the Fit, It comes with ITR calipers and modded brackets with 11" rotors and brakes lines. So I stop to
think I just got some ITR Brackets and some Legend calipers, I'm waiting on a e-mail back from fastbrakes to see what rotors and adapters (if any) i need. So tomorrow at work I'll be doing a test fit to see and I'll be posting
pics I also need to get some new wheels .

I know its over kill I do plan on doing some auto-X soon and I plan on going back up to the dragon this year as well, so I do have some what of a reason. So comments are welcome good or bad.

Name:  DSC_3444.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  125.8 KB

Name:  DSC_3446.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  116.2 KB

Name:  DSC_3443.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  143.1 KB

Last edited by swflej1; 01-31-2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
I didn't Have the right parts what i thought was itr brackets were gsr brackets and doesn't fit Legend calipers

O.K. So today at work I had some free time and got to play with my Fit. So I test fitted the Legend calipers, Both the T23 and T28 brackets bot on no problem. How ever the T23 bracket I thought would bolt up to the new caliper, I knew it needs to be modded, but I really don't see how its going to work. So I tried it with the T28 bracket with the caliper and it looks fine. Then I realized the T28 sticks out to far and would hit the wheel (something else I have to pick out a long with rotors). So as of right now I'm stuck I did just fine Jodele write on his Type R upgrade and I'm going to read that thread over and hope to get some info. BTW here are some shots

Stock set up--

Name:  DSC_3459.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  91.4 KB

Another shot---

Name:  DSC_3458.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  59.3 KB

Here's some with the legend calipers on

Name:  DSC_3454.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  69.4 KB

here is one of my problems I'm running into

Name:  DSC_3453.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  70.4 KB

and here's another angle

Name:  DSC_3450.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  81.3 KB

Last edited by swflej1; 01-31-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
Ok So I think I messed up I didn't order the ITR brackets I got the GSR one so i'm going to re-order them in the morning. Also I found this

Our rotor
BrakeBest Select 96087RGS - Brake Rotor | O'Reilly Auto Parts

07 mini rotor
BrakeBest Select 980606RGS - Brake Rotor | O'Reilly Auto Parts

So i'll be ordering them as well. Unless you guys think i could use T28 brackets

Old 01-31-2012, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator
looks good, idk if its really over kill though, lol.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
^ Thanks man, Call my part guy today and order the mini rotor will be in tomorrow. Brackets will be here Friday or Monday . Also looking for some new brake lines and pads I'm thinking green stuff.

Last edited by swflej1; 01-31-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Have you seen this thread ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...=spoon+caliper

It has quite a bit of useful information.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by swflej1
I know its over kill I do plan on doing some auto-X soon and I plan on going back up to the dragon this year as well, so I do have some what of a reason. So comments are welcome good or bad.
[/IMG]
That's odd. I didn't experience ANY braking issues running The Dragon last October... because I hardly touched them! My Fit is an A/T - and the torque converter is my friend. Gotta use the engine and those gears more dude!

Old 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Have you seen this thread ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...=spoon+caliper

It has quite a bit of useful information.
Yea I read all 11 or 12 pages and it does have a lot of good info on it, I posted a link to it in my second post. I have everything coming , but new wheels.

Originally Posted by Jim2bFit
That's odd. I didn't experience ANY braking issues running The Dragon last October... because I hardly touched them! My Fit is an A/T - and the torque converter is my friend. Gotta use the engine and those gears more dude!
Your right the stock set up worked great in my wife's car last October, but with some better tires and larger brakes it will be even more fun. plus this is going to be on my car which i'm taking this year, BTW are you going back out to the dragon this year too? Also not many people have done any brake upgrades with the GE's yet and I already had the parts.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Yea I read all 11 or 12 pages and it does have a lot of good info on it, I posted a link to it in my second post. I have everything coming , but new wheels.
ooops... didn't see the link.
Thanks for taking pics, and posting your progress. After reading Jodele's thread several times (over the past few yrs), I've been dreaming about those lightweight Spoon calipers. Will probably to the ITR swap whenever my stock pads/rotors. Might do the ss lines, motul fluid, and HPS pads before then, hopefully in time for this yrs Dragon run.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jim2bFit
You must drive the way I do... I am thinking about changing my pads long before they need to be so I don't have to change out the rotors... I prefer to have the extra weight of larger tires on my car so I don't need to have larger brake to slow me down before entering a curve or when cornering... I might think differently if I was driving in a competitive event... With a 10:1 compression ratio you have pretty good braking and you have to down shift any way to gain speed as you exit the curve, corner or whatever.... The brake pedal is too sensitive to do a tap dance heel&toe on with my size 13s anyway.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
ooops... didn't see the link.
Thanks for taking pics, and posting your progress. After reading Jodele's thread several times (over the past few yrs), I've been dreaming about those lightweight Spoon calipers. Will probably to the ITR swap whenever my stock pads/rotors. Might do the ss lines, motul fluid, and HPS pads before then, hopefully in time for this yrs Dragon run.
No prob that's what this is about right? HPD had some new stuff coming out for our fits as well.

HPD Fit B-Spec kits available February 1, 2012 ~ Honda Performance Development

even if you dont you will have a lot of fun at the dragon.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Your right the stock set up worked great in my wife's car last October, but with some better tires and larger brakes it will be even more fun. BTW are you going back out to the dragon this year too? Also not many people have done any brake upgrades with the GE's yet and I already had the parts.
I'm not sure about doing an overnight for the Dragon. I might just drive up for a day since it's less than 3hrs from my house.

BTW, I had the tire/wheel upgrades prior to the last run. I had a ton of grip, so I was taking a lot of speed into the turns and downshifting/using the torque converter mostly. Right I'm at about 52k miles on my stock brakes with a bit of rotor warp. I actually had the rotor warp prior to the run, but it didn't bother me much. I'm going to do a complete brake job this spring, most likely will be buying the EBC USR850 rotors and Greenstuff pads. Probably upgrade to the Goodridge G-Stop brake lines and some better high-temp fluid.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
You must drive the way I do... I am thinking about changing my pads long before they need to be so I don't have to change out the rotors... I prefer to have the extra weight of larger tires on my car so I don't need to have larger brake to slow me down before entering a curve or when cornering... I might think differently if I was driving in a competitive event... With a 10:1 compression ratio you have pretty good braking and you have to down shift any way to gain speed as you exit the curve, corner or whatever.... The brake pedal is too sensitive to do a tap dance heel&toe on with my size 13s anyway.
Yup I would think after reading some of your post we drive the same, I don't mind the extra weight having more power would be nice but that's next year, my suspension and brake are more important then power (do to the fact more power is a lot more money) power will come next year i hope.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
You must drive the way I do... With a 10:1 compression ratio you have pretty good braking and you have to down shift any way to gain speed as you exit the curve, corner or whatever....
You know it. Us old guys have some skills. That, and sometimes we take stupid chances that come from releasing years of life's pent up frustrations.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
HPD had some new stuff coming out for our fits as well.
HPD Fit B-Spec kits available February 1, 2012 ~ Honda Performance Development
You might want to double-check HPD's purchase policies. There's a lot of small print behind some of the products they list for sale on that web site, meaning they don't sell everything to just any consumer. Some of the items require documented proof that you are actually using the vehicle in sanctioned track events and not attempting to purchase only for your DD. Kind of like - show us that you are a SCCA member (I am), and that you have registered and run your vehicle in two or more events (I have not), with the ability to show proof of your placement in said event. What that means is enthusiasts (like me) are shit-out-of-luck on some of their performance parts. Just sayin'...

Old 01-31-2012, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
^thats a good point Jim

Old 01-31-2012, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Yup I would think after reading some of your post we drive the same, I don't mind the extra weight having more power would be nice but that's next year, my suspension and brake are more important then power (do to the fact more power is a lot more money) power will come next year i hope.
There is a problem that you don't notice at all until you have upped the power considerably... You can induce under steer that turns into serious over steer in the blink of an eye if you get off of the throttle too quickly or too much... It isn't as bad as it was since putting bigger tires on it but now instead of wheel spin to 45MPH in second gear the clutch slips.... Hell, if you do one thing you have to do five more to compensate...

Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
There is a problem that you don't notice at all until you have upped the power considerably... You can induce under steer that turns into serious over steer in the blink of an eye if you get off of the throttle too quickly or too much... It isn't as bad as it was since putting bigger tires on it but now instead of wheel spin to 45MPH in second gear the clutch slips.... Hell, if you do one thing you have to do five more to compensate...
I think I get what your saying, and that's why I would rather put money and time into my suspension and brakes first. As for power that will be down the road and most likely not much more then what I have now. The suspension can be re-calibrated.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Good one!

I think I get what your saying, and that's why I would rather put money and time into my suspension and brakes first. As for power that will be down the road and most likely not much more then what I have now. The suspension can be re-calibrated.
Hahah... not very often I come across someone who thinks about brakes as 1st mod... Many think of going fast 1st, then oops I need to stop fast also...

Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
^ Thanks Subie

Quick Reply: Over Kill on front Brakes!