Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Integra Type-R front disc brake installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Integra Type-R front disc brake installation

This is what I did to install the Acura Integra Type-R front disc brakes on a GD3 Fit, mine is a 2007. The stock front discs are 262-mm X 21-mm. The Type-R has 282-mm X 23-mm. Spoon Sports makes such a disc, http://www.spoonsports.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=45251%2D4H1014 for $197. StopTech makes a disc that is 282-mm X 25-mm for $225. This disc will also fit inside the Type-R caliper with aluminum hat section (center). I chose this option from http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=159_553_1550_1552&products_ id=4347 because its only $28 more and you get much more volume of air through 25-mm than through 23-mm wide disc and the aluminum centers.
This is a photo of my start point. As you can see, I already had installed StopTech (P/N 126.40021SR) stock replacement discs on the car. This was a big improvement over the stock pancakes, but still not good enough for my aggressive driving style.

This is with the StopTech AeroRotor installed with the Type-R caliper bracket.

Now for the Axxsis ULT pads and Type-R caliper...ta da!

It all just bolts up with no modifications! How easy is that? The calipers were gotten for $79 each from Zeckhausen Racing Now, how cheap is that for a BIG BRAKE installation?

This is what it looks like from behind a 16" wheel...

This is what it looks like from behind a 15" wheel (Stock Sport)...

And this is the only problem...see the scrape mark in the inside of the wheel? That is from the caliper just touching the inside of the wheel. I did not rotate the 16" wheel, so no marks there. So, the only thing needed for the installation is Spoon Sport 3-mm wheel spacers and longer wheel studs. http://www.spoonsports.us/ProductDet...=45250%2DT03AL So, for another $79 for the spacers and $48 for 8 longer studs, we have big brakes.
The stainless steel brake lines came with the T1R rear disc conversion...guess what I have on the rear of my ride...
If you like my post, some rep points would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by Jodele; 09-28-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
More info...the stock Fit caliper has a 54-mm piston and Type-R has a 57-mm. I also have good information that this caliper also fits on the Honda Accord Sedan and Wagon, Honda Prelude, CR-V and Odyssey, the Acura Vigor and TL, and the Isuzu Oasis...ie same P/N.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:31 AM
good info! I'll be looking into this when I do a brake upgrade.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info!!

Old 07-19-2009, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
wow! pretty cool!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
thanks for finally posting this! +384k for you sir!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Does your set up still allow the the ABS to function properly?.... Do you think that there is much difference in unsprung weight and rotational mass?.... Great thinking and execution on your behalf, though I am not an eye candy person I love functional beauty and your set up has sure got that going on..... I guess that I am just getting old because I haven't experienced brake fade in decades, but there is no way that I can't Rep you for this..... Where on earth do (can) you drive so hard to that your brakes fade or you need better stopping than that afforded by the stock ones??

Old 07-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Very nice with this upgrade + the T1R rear brake kit + nice summer tires the Fit should be able to stop on a dime.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Its not brake fade that I'm experiancing, its what they call in the brake industry thickness variatiation. I get pulssing and vibration under braking. I've already gone through 2 sets of stock discs (changed under waranty) and the third set of discs are the StopTech sloted rotors. These lasted more than twice as long as the two sets of stock discs. I'm thinking that the Fit has a brake cooling problem...bigger discs = more cooling. And yes, I will be running a duct to them.

The discs are about the same weight. The calipers are heavier...I don't know by how much.

The overall global plan is to save up quarters and buy the Spoon Sport aluminum twin-block calipers. They are about 5-pounds lighter than the stock Type-R. But $1400 = a $h!t load of quarters. These calipers were only $79... The Soops will bolt right on when I get the money.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
Very nice with this upgrade + the T1R rear brake kit + nice summer tires the Fit should be able to stop on a dime.
But its my snow shoes on my 15-inchers what really blew me away!
Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi RSi

Old 07-19-2009, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Damn this is in awesome upgrade! So how much to you think its going to cost you start to finish to do the fronts? And where do you drive in Ohio that you need the upgraded brakes, I wanna know!

Old 07-19-2009, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Great job!

With a set of lower offset 15" wheels it shouldn't rub the calipers right?

Old 07-19-2009, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
I put wheels and tires that weigh 28 1/2 lbs combined weight on each corner and found that it made a tremendous difference in stopping power.... I have yet to experience the ABS doing its thing since this change and only had it kicked in 2 or three times prior to.... On the only other vehicle I have owned with ABS It only kicked in twice in 135000 mile and both times I was glad it did..... Do you think that is because I am an old man?

Old 07-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Jodele
But its my snow shoes on my 15-inchers what really blew me away!
Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi RSi
wow cool, im going to need to get a set of those for winter tires. The spoon Calipers would be bad ass, thats what I wanted to get. I think though the Spoon Calipers would be WAY over kill for a street driven car. I want to do this upgrade and the rear conversion with braided brake lines and some nice pads. That set up should be more then enough for what I use my car for

Originally Posted by Evotech8
Great job!

With a set of lower offset 15" wheels it shouldn't rub the calipers right?
To the best of my knowledge offset realy has nothing to do with whether or not it will clear the caliper. I think its more the backspacing and the design of the rim. Offset is going to determine where the rim face sites inside the rim.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Score, i just bought SSBS breaks for 600 usd... the only catch is that i can not use them with smaller than my 17inch volk le-37's.. so i must change back to stock for the winter..... that being said, I have incounterd the same thinkness issue and pulsating of the stockers after only 33,000 kms of easy breaking manuvers.

Now that this is an option, I shall be looking into upgrading my "Winter" breaks insted of just buying new stock rotors and pads. I think that my winter rims are 15's so the extended stud and spacer option, might also be a must..... or mabe just a slight grind of the contact points.

thanks for the sorry sad excuse to spend more money on my car..... I did not need another thing to add to my list, but sompthing so usefull is a must.. +rep 4shure
All the prices and info linked..... comon.... could you make it any easer....I think not

Thanks for your time
Cam

Old 07-19-2009, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
So how much you spend for all the parts??

Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
How lazy can you be?

I can’t believe that you (sy11580) are that lazy!!!! As CamFit said, “All the prices and info linked..... comon.... could you make it any easer....I think not”
But here it is anyway…and I will not add the three numbers for you…all prices were in US dollars except for the T1R rear brake conversion kit which is in Canadian Dollars…as they call ours yank bucks and theirs, snow bucks…it was less than $700 in yank bucks but I don’t know right off the bat how much.

SportStop slotted rear rotor 239x10mm, Left $56.00
SportStop slotted rear rotor 239x10mm, Right $56.00
Rebuilt left front Acura caliper with Posi Quiet pads (D503 pad $79.00
Rebuilt right front Acura caliper with Posi Quiet pads (D503 pad $79.00
Axxis ULT high performance brake pads - front (D503) [1 box requ $84.00
Axxis ULT high performance brake pads - rear (D374) [1 box requi $49.00
Front floating rotor upgrade - 282x25mm Slotted left and right f $450.00
Sub-Total: $853.00
UPS (UPS Ground): $44.14
Total: $897.14

3mm Spacers F $79.00
EXT Lug nuts F $48.00
Shipping $12.00
TOTAL: $139

45000-GD3-RDC T1R REAR DISC BRAKE CONVERSION (GD3) 650.00 CAD
SH Shipping/Handling 90.00 CAD
Tax $0.00
Total $740.00 CAD

As you can see the front calipers came with brake pads because I bought the “loaded pair” (brake caliper bracket and caliper). I’m willing to send those to anyone willing to pay for shipping. And the cool part is, I didn’t have to provide a core! AutoZone wants $143.99 plus $93.00 for the core for a total of $236.99 + tax for each caliper!!! That was a great deal that I got from Zeckhausen Racing – Thanks Dave. He’s a FitFreak too

I’ve included the rear disc kit here, because that included the SS brake lines. That kit also included the discs and the pads. I’m running them now on the car. But you can also see that I’ve purchased new rear discs. The T1R rear discs are solid. I got slotted ones to match the fronts. So, when I get the spacers from Spoon Sports later this week, I’ll be swapping out the rear discs and pads too this weekend.

As I was looking at my receipts for this post, I noticed that Spoon Sports has quoted me for longer nuts not studs…I’m checking into that right now. If I need the longer studs, I’m buying them. If not, I don’t need longer nuts, I’ve got my own…

Old 07-20-2009, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Total $1776.14 not adjusting for the $650 spent in snow dollars isn't bad when you consider what it could have costed if you hadn't been so resourceful.... In today"s economy it really is a great deal .... That is some very serious whoa horse power.... You shouldn't have to buy brakes for at least 200,000 miles with that set up.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
price is right

Yup...for the price of blingy (that's just because I can't afford them right now) aluminum calipers, I got a full (front and rear with SS brake lines) brake upgrade - that functions - for the go fast guys like me.

To answer an earlier question, the unsprung weight is up - bigger caliper = more weight. give and take... I did not weigh it yet. I still have that opportunity this weekend when I go install it. All I have is a batroom scale...not good for such a job. I guess I could go to Kinkos or the UPS store to weigh the individual parts...

For the rotational innertia, the weight distribution is twords the outside of the disc - aluminum centers and larger diameter...again, you've got to take the good with the bad.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Don't get the idea that I don't go fast because I don't wear out my brakes..... I just got back from a visit with my shrink and took a long drive on some farm and very narrow county roads and spent a great deal of the time at over 90 MPH and went over 100 numerous times. I had to keep it below 80 on the county roads..... Did I mention that it was raining? Also, there is a super charger on my car which is unusual for a guy that first drove a car in 1958..... You cover distance faster if you don't use the middle pedal, saves fuel also.

Quick Reply: Integra Type-R front disc brake installation