2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Redshift Koni Coilovers Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:02 AM
When in the same location as the spring, usually 550-600. But if the spring and shock are in different locations (like on the back of the Fit), then it's a little different.... on the back of the Fit, a Koni Sport Yellow is good to a 700-800 lb spring because the spring in not as far down the control/trailing arm as the shock (and actually the spring is further down the trailer arm than the tire too).

Chris

Old 08-28-2013, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RedShiftChris
When in the same location as the spring, usually 550-600. But if the spring and shock are in different locations (like on the back of the Fit), then it's a little different.... on the back of the Fit, a Koni Sport Yellow is good to a 700-800 lb spring because the spring in not as far down the control/trailing arm as the shock (and actually the spring is further down the trailer arm than the tire too).

Chris
I currently run 13K or 728# in the rear of my Fit which is on the yellow's in the back :

I'm actually planing on going up to 10K in the front from 8K.... and most likely 14K in the rear...

Old 08-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by apexanimal
The tokico hts are dspecs...
those are only available for 07-08, no?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by RedShiftChris

Chris
Wow that's impressive and lucky for us I guess

TPC how do the Yellows handle the 13K in the back and I assume the shock is full stiff setting at that point? Must do pretty well because I know the parking lot playgrounds are not glass smooth. Also do you daily drive the car like that?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
DAm Tyler u and ur springs lol i only got 2 sets so far lol was thinking of going up to a 10k rear but unsure yet might just do it since i get them cheap

my current it 6 and 8 k

Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Colosseum hat's impressive and lucky for us I guess

TPC how do the Yellows handle tI diae 13K in the back and I assume the. hock is full stiff setting at that point? Must do pretty well because I know the parking lot playgrounds are not glass smooth. Also do you daily drive the car like that?
Haha the lot at the OAK Colosseum has so many bumps that people were thinking they had bad tires/breaks/or broken suspension LOLOL. We just had an event at the Crows Landing Naval Auxiliary Air Station and after all that glorious concrete.... we ALL over drove on the O CO lot hahahahaha.

The Konis are GREAT with the 13K's!!! They are for sure on full stiff (remember you never actually go ALL Firm, I dial back like 1/12th from full Firm.)

I don't daily it that way I swap back to the original S2 6K barrel springs and dial it waaay back to soft

Old 08-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Ah ok, you have a separate strut assembly with the S2 spring you swap in the front for DD or do you disassemble?

I've only driven in the Colosseum parking lot for A's and Raider games and I always think to myself "wow this must be an interesting autoX surface"

Old 08-28-2013, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Ah ok, you have a separate strut assembly with the S2 spring you swap in the front for DD or do you disassemble?

I've only driven in the Colosseum parking lot for A's and Raider games and I always think to myself "wow this must be an interesting autoX surface"
Oh no, I have the Koni Yellows in the rear and I swap the rear springs for AutoX and daily.

The Skunk2 Pro C's are what I have on the front. Right now I have an 8" 8K Swift spring on there, but from pics I obviously need to up them to my 10K ones

Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Ohhhhh ok, yeah I was going to say that's dedication right there.

What length and OD springs do you use in the rear with the Yellows and are they captive?

Old 08-28-2013, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Ohhhhh ok, yeah I was going to say that's dedication right there.

What length and OD springs do you use in the rear with the Yellows and are they captive?
6" 2.25 I'm pretty sure. What do you mean by captive?

Old 08-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Oh I forgot you are running coilover setup in the back, I was thinking the spring just sat on the perch but there's an adjuster there.

Captive meaning the spring is long enough to go from the perch to the top mount and is held in with the spring pressure and doesn't come out at full droop.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Oh I forgot you are running coilover setup in the back, I was thinking the spring just sat on the perch but there's an adjuster there.

Captive meaning the spring is long enough to go from the perch to the top mount and is held in with the spring pressure and doesn't come out at full droop.

Oh no, those suckers pop right out at full droop LOL hence how I easily swap them for AutoX/Daily...

Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
those are only available for 07-08, no?
Ahh yes...didn't see you were a ge...

Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by TPColgett

Oh no, those suckers pop right out at full droop LOL hence how I easily swap them for AutoX/Daily...
Ah ok, no problem with that really and it's convenient, I was just curious how much droop travel there was on the shocks. I expected them not to be captive, but was thinking maybe the adjuster took up some of that slack.

That is better IMO than some "JDM" coilovers that have very little droop.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 PM
lowering springs or coilovers!!? I have a GE8 wheels 18!!!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Ah ok, no problem with that really and it's convenient, I was just curious how much droop travel there was on the shocks. I expected them not to be captive, but was thinking maybe the adjuster took up some of that slack.

That is better IMO than some "JDM" coilovers that have very little droop.
Well as far as droop...
Name:  20130706_090033_zpsead98afd.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  229.6 KB

Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Wow that's impressive and lucky for us I guess
not necessarily a benefit for us. it just has different leverage so it's effectively the same as having a softer spring on a coil-over-shock suspension setup

Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
as long as you turn the shocks up, or secure the torsion beam somehow, you shouldnt have an issue with the spring falling out on the street

Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
not necessarily a benefit for us. it just has different leverage so it's effectively the same as having a softer spring on a coil-over-shock suspension setup
Ah that makes sense, we have to use a stiffer spring to make up for the downsides of having separated coil and spring, good point and understood

I often read debates on extra droop travel and how it helps keep doglegging down but I don't think it matters at the point where a car is able to dogleg since there's almost zero traction being applied to that tire in that situation anyway even if you were able to keep the wheel on the ground? Especially so in FWD application since there's no power going down there anyway right?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
I actually removed my rear bar to also assist in cutting back "doglegging."

There is more to the story, but I was WAY overloading my outside front tires..
Name:  20130811_091754_zps0f416d34.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  327.3 KB

Quick Reply: Redshift Koni Coilovers Review