2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Redshift Koni Coilovers Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
Redshift Koni Coilovers Review

First of all, I want to say a big THANK YOU to Chris at Redshift for taking the time and effort to develop and produce these coilovers.

Second, I'd like to commend Chris for his customer service and communication. If you ask anyone that's been in contact with him via email or phone I'm sure they would say the same.

Now, on to the review!

This was the very first thing I ordered the day after I bought my 2013 Fit. I placed my order with Chris via email for a set of the coilovers and a progress rear sway bar. I went with 350lb springs in front and 400lb springs for the rear. It took about a month from the day of ordering to the day of delivery. It was a LONG month.

One of the very few pictures from the day of install. We ran into a few problems and we were losing daylight fast.

The day after install I dialed in my desired ride height and headed off to get an alignment. I decided to run -3 degrees camber up front.

Daily: Rpf1 16x7 +35
yokohama s.drives 205/50/16

Autox: 949Racing 6UL 15x7.5 +42
BFG Rivals 225/45/15

Daily driving:
I ran into a bit of rubbing on the front fender liner the first few days. I've since removed the liner clips and its fine unless I hit a hard bump on the freeway. Other than that there were no problems. The ride was a bit too bouncy for my liking at first. After some adjustment to the rear shocks I found a setting that matched with the rear springs. The ride is fine now. Stiffer than any spring setup I had on my GD (obviously). But not too much harsher from what sagging springs and blown shocks all around feels like. The stiff ride is very tolerable.

In terms of performance I have much more confidence in the car than before. During a recent meet in Santa Cruz, in which we took a mountain road to get to, I found myself planted in the door or just hanging onto the steering wheel due to the body roll. Now with the coilovers and rear sway bar, i still find myself in the door, but I'm going much faster through turns. The car handles amazingly on the street with pretty neutral steering. I have no complaints

Street driving w/ 949 wheel setup:
Oversteer! Yay!

I put my 949s on the car to test fit after my alignment. I went for a drive and wow. The fit was on rails through every turn. I found myself having to adjust my steering through the turns as I had gotten so used to the understeer of stock setup and even the t1r s-coils/tokico HTS setup I had on my GD.

Autocross:
I am not the best driver. (Obviously) With about three different events with this setup I am still not used to driving the car at its limit. Running the Koni's on full stiff along with the stiff rear springs really just plants the wheels on the ground.

During my first event out in the car, I had to keep adjusting my lines through the course as I was still underestimating what the car could do.

I still have a lot to learn to fully take advantage of what this suspension and tire setup can do.

Just to put things in perspective.

Me

DoYouFit?

TPColgett

Both users TPColgett and DoYouFit? drove my car this past weekend at Crows Landing autox event. We all ran the same course in my car. Both of them beat my time their FIRST TIME in the car and TPColgett did it with VSA on...

I'm sure they can chime in and give a better description of my fits handling characteristics than I can.

Needless to say the suspension setup along with the tires/wheels is worth EVERY penny. I only wish I had gotten the chance to have a setup like this in my GD.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by 07fit916; 08-14-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Hahah, that launch of mine was AWFUL. I think at around 0:47-48 in my run is when the VSA started grabbing at the brakes and its a good thing the camera wasn't in the car due to my copious use of "colorful" language

Car feels AWESOME. I'd still change a few things to set it up more to my liking (MUCH stiffer rear springs at least,) but for a GE owner, if your looking for a high performance suspension setup...

THIS IS IT!!!

Old 08-14-2013, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
I have meet Chris on two occasions first was had him install my Eibach Pro Kit a month after getting my Fit and the second time was two months ago to pick up the rear Koni Sports which I installed. Great guy, like my Koni shocks a lot. When Koni gets around to issuing the Str-t or yellows for the front I will visit Chris again since he is a authorized dealer maybe I will get the GC if available and get away from the Eibach setup which seems pretty stiff.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 AM
great videos!!!!! I'll put a link to some of this on the product page when the new site goes up.

Glad you guys are liking the new setup!!!! Looks like the car is balanced really well.

Chris

Old 08-15-2013, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RedShiftChris
great videos!!!!! I'll put a link to some of this on the product page when the new site goes up.

Glad you guys are liking the new setup!!!! Looks like the car is balanced really well.

Chris
It's not just us biased Fit guys who are impressed Several of our veteran AutoX folks have checked out the three different car setups snd so far the Koni/GC setup is the crowd favorite

Old 08-15-2013, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Any RSB's or FSB's on the car?

Glad to see it has the TPColgett stamp of approval.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Progress RSB on car and Spoon FSB in the mail I believe

Old 08-15-2013, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Oh and if folks are wondering why go with a FSB:

Name:  IMG_404300464000983_zps54d090a3.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  73.5 KB

Old 08-15-2013, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TPColgett
Oh and if folks are wondering why go with a FSB:

[pic]

Oh, I know about that roll... Agree 100%

Old 08-15-2013, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Oh, I know about that roll... Agree 100%
I actually was a massive anti Front Sway Bar person. I thought it would only add more push and as I had worked so hard to dial out the understeer I was like WTF would I want to put it back!?..... Then I drove a near stock GD with a front bar and IMMEDIATELY "got it." I now have the T1R FSB on my car and the change in both effective spring rate and the dramatically improved turn in is EPIC

Old 08-15-2013, 09:03 PM
interesting....

Old 08-18-2013, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
Any update on my coil overs?

Old 08-23-2013, 04:05 PM
fyi konis are on their way to me finally... should see them next Tuesday!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
can you guys please post up the koni damper set part numbers?

I want to run them with my swift springs. i dont need the coils.

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
The rear konis are off the shelf but the front konis are slipped into custom redshift brackets

Old 08-26-2013, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
The rear konis are off the shelf but the front konis are slipped into custom redshift brackets
i see... dang... i wish i could get just the dampers. thanks for the info.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
putting koni sports on the rear isn't terribly difficult and it's leaps and bounds better than anything else available for our cars

Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
putting koni sports on the rear isn't terribly difficult and it's leaps and bounds better than anything else available for our cars
yah, the front needs more help for me. the rear isn't too bad. want to do all 4 corners.

wish tokico made d-specs for our cars. anyone else make adjustable dampers for our cars? kyb?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
The tokico hts are dspecs...

Old 08-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by 07fit916
I went with 350lb springs in front and 400lb springs for the rear.
Originally Posted by TPColgett

350lb springs + 2500lb car with 60% of the weight in the front + high COG = that picture

What's the stiffest spring the yellows can work with?

Quick Reply: Redshift Koni Coilovers Review