2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Yokohama Avid ENVigor

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Yokohama Avid ENVigor

Just bought a set of these in 205/50 16 for my 09 Sport to go on the stock wheels. They seem to be really highly rated and of a handful of tires I discussed on the phone with the tirerack guy (both cheaper and more expensive), he said I'd probably be happiest with these. I know I've seen at least one person on here has them. Any other experiences? My main concerns were good treadlife and wet traction as I commute about 120 miles a day.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by bkrell
Just bought a set of these in 205/50 16 for my 09 Sport to go on the stock wheels. They seem to be really highly rated and of a handful of tires I discussed on the phone with the tirerack guy (both cheaper and more expensive), he said I'd probably be happiest with these. I know I've seen at least one person on here has them. Any other experiences? My main concerns were good treadlife and wet traction as I commute about 120 miles a day.
I know it's been a while since you posted this. At 120 mile per day commute you should have plenty of experience. Would you care to share it?

Thanks.

2010 Taffeta White
5spd, Sport

Old 07-18-2010, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Actually I got them this past week??? They certainly ride differently than the old dunlops. But the ride seems a bit squishy. I don't know if it's the extra tread or the inflation pressure. I haven't checked to see what they were inflated to. I usually go up to 44 psi.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Actually I got them this past week??? They certainly ride differently than the old dunlops. But the ride seems a bit squishy. I don't know if it's the extra tread or the inflation pressure. I haven't checked to see what they were inflated to. I usually go up to 44 psi.
Well, you'd get that feeling if you let ANY shop inflate the tires... nearly all shops/dealers will inflate to about 35 psi, the recommended PSI for most passenger tires.

If you over-inflate it up to 44, you should have the same feeling you were getting with the old tires.

Personally, I'll stick to 35.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
i've had these tires for about 2k miles.... a tad better then the stockies, much better turning, i've been a fan of yokohama since i purchased my es100's about 2 years ago.....

we will see how they do this coming winter

Old 07-19-2010, 12:18 AM
New Yoko's

Once you settle the tire pressure issue, I'd like to hear what you think. By the way, how many miles did you get on your Dunlops?

Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Got 32k on my Dunlops. As for the Yokos... my feelings so far are mixed. I checked the inflation and they are at 40 psi. I thought the handling was squishy. But I think I've come to the conclusion that the increase in grip is just highlighting the limits of the stock suspension setup. When I've noticed how fast I've been going when I feel the car feeling "loose," it's actually faster than I usually corner. This morning, rounding a corner on a freeway on ramp, the car even felt like the rear was about to slide out. But I was taking the ramp faster than normal. Still, the feling was a bit unsettling.

Now, the other issue...fuel economy. I've only run one full tank through the car, so far. But barring an odd occurrence of bad gas, I saw the fuel economy dip a few mpg over my last 3 days of commuting. I have not had the ecu reflashed to correct the mpg, so I average at least 3.5 mpg on the optimistic side. But in the past month or two, since the summer heat has really been on, I've averaged trip computer-indicated 36 mpg. But on this last tank, it was right at 33. That's with a daily commute of about 130 miles round trip that is half interstate driven at 73-76 mph and half two lane highway driven at 65-67 mph. A/c pretty much on full-time. So we will see if it's a fluke. But on the tank I put in this morning, I'm at 34 mpg. And that's only b/c it was just cool enough this morning that I turned the a/c off for half the trip.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Cool I hope you like them...

That is what I want to put on my car when the Dunlops wear out. Had the Yokohamas on my wife's Subaru Outback, and thought they were the best tires I have ever had by anyone, on any car. Good in wet, dry, snow quiet, quick-turning and long lasting.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 AM
NOKIAN WR G2 now Yokohama Envigor

I replaced my Nokian WR G2 early at 55,000 Km due to inside cupping. The Envigors promised at lot, and the price was right.

The Nokians had great traction in the wet/dry and winter. The only negative was some tire noise that was acceptable, (not so on my wife's Versa ).

So far they are smooth and quiet, but roll a bit. On the highway there is a busy vibration, typical of V rated tires. They do not inspire the same confidence as the WR G2 (I am not a passive driver).

Four tanks of gas later (1800 Km) and I am getting used to these. Fuel economy is the same.te

October update. Yoko's have gone back. The steering felt too light and not well planted. It could be the Fit is too light for this design. Replaced them with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. These feel more secure all around, and are are great in the wet. 5000 km's now, and looking confident for winter.

Last edited by INSPKR; 10-02-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-03-2010, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
My FE continues to be lower. I ran a tank with Gumout Regane just to make sure it wasn't something to do with fuel system deposits. No change. Where before, I could pretty much do whatever and get an indicated 36 mpg, I'm lucky to get 34. Granted it's probably best I slow down anyway!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 PM
44 is 11psi more than what's recommended, its going to wear out the center of the tire alot quicker, especially since you drive so much. With that mileage, why didn't you check into the Conti DWS

Old 08-05-2010, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
I've inflated every tire on every car I own into that range since 2005. I've yet to have an issue with the center wearing out first. I did check into the Continentals. I didn't care to buy them. The Yokos are highly rated as well and technically have a slightly higher UTQG for what it's worth. Gave tirerack guy and handful of tires to pick from and they said go with these. I'm fine with performance, ride, and handling. FE is the only issue and I don't think that's a function of brand, just the increased size.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:20 AM
bkrell, was the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 one of the tires amongst the group you talked to Tire Rack about. It did well in a comparison test with the Yoko's. Was wondering if they steered you away from the Sumi's.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
I didn't specifically NAME the Sumi but I think I mentioned the the Yoko, the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max, and maybe one or two more. I told him I want long tread life, good handling, and good wet traction. So IDK why he didn't mention the Sumi or the Continental...

And it's like I said, I don't want to give anyone the impression the Yoko isn't a great tire, it is. Matter of fact, the increase in handling is making me wonder about bigger anti-roll bars or something to cut down on the increase in lean I'm getting since I'm able to take the twisties a bit harder. The FE is the only thing that bums me a little. But at around $25 a tank, it's not a deal breaker for me to lose a few mpg...

Old 08-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Cool I put...

Originally Posted by txmatt
bkrell, was the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 one of the tires amongst the group you talked to Tire Rack about. It did well in a comparison test with the Yoko's. Was wondering if they steered you away from the Sumi's.
The Sumi's on my Jaguar...they were all right...but I am dying to try the Yokos on my other vehicles to see if I like them as much as I did on the Subaru...

Old 08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah, the ENVigor is on my short list, too. I liked some of the apparent pluses of the Sumitomos (quiet ride and pretty good performance) although I'm a bit concerned about tread life (hard to compare treadwear rating across manufacturers). Will likely call Tire Rack and choose between these two.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:09 PM
I've put about 5k miles on these same Yokos and they track through corners effortlessly. Considering how light the car is plus going to wider tire doesn't help with wet traction, they are still noticeably better than the stock tires in the rain.

Last edited by olias; 08-22-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Yokos

Originally Posted by olias
I've put about 5k miles on these same Yokos and they track through corners effortlessly. Considering how light the car is plus going to wider tire doesn't help with wet traction, they are still noticeably better than the stock tires in the rain.
How about mileage, noise and ride? Any changes in any of these three areas?

Old 08-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by GW Fit
How about mileage, noise and ride? Any changes in any of these three areas?
Mileage got a little worse until I found 30 psi was too low. 44 psi now and I'm back to 38 mpg. Noise is less on smooth surfaces and about the same on rough. Ride is about 10-20% bumpier.