2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Lug Nuts For 16x7 Rota Grid (4x100/e40/67.1)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Question Lug Nuts For 16x7 Rota Grid (4x100/e40/67.1)

can i use stock lugs for these kind of wheels?? or should i buy a new set of lugs?
if so can you guys hit me up with any lug nuts that is inexpensive and effective??

Thank you. i'll appreciate any help since im new to these kind of thing.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
You'll need a new set of lug nuts. The main concern is that Honda's OEM lug nuts have ball-shaped heads, and those won't mate flush with your wheels' conical/tapered lug nut seats. Most aftermarket wheels have a 60-degree taper to their lug nut seats.

McGard should have a cheap set of tapered-head lug nuts; if you can get Kyo-Ei stuff their lugnuts are pretty good too. I've raced with their steel lugnuts and they work really well, unlike the aluminum ones I used which didn't cope as well with the heat.

Honda lug bolts will accept M12x1.5 lug nuts. You'll want something like this:
Chrome Cone Seat Style Lug Nut Set (M12 x 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4 Lug Nuts

Don't lose the OEM Honda lug nuts; keep a set of them in the car if your spare's an OEM Honda wheel. As long as you have the stock wheels you'll find a use for the stock nuts. Hope this helps

Last edited by Type 100; 10-31-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
^ +1 muteki's have a much more durable finish than gorilla's from my experience.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
These are the exact same lug nuts I now use on my SSR Type M wheels. 17mm hex size.

I also have the 21mm variety with "Bull-Lock" wheel locks but they're a little too big for the Type Ms.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
thank you so much for the all the inputs and suggestion, sorry for the late reply been busy in school.

but one question though, i kinda like the look of an extended close-ended lugnuts, rather than the short ones. would it make any difference at all??or how can i search for more lugnuts that could be compatible with my wheels?

Old 11-09-2012, 05:44 PM
As long as they are 12x1.5 thread pitch and have tapered seats you should be fine. You don't really have to worry about close-end vs open end until you start messing around with extended studs.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
As long as they are 12x1.5 thread pitch and have tapered seats you should be fine. You don't really have to worry about close-end vs open end until you start messing around with extended studs.
thank you so much for the fast reply, im planning on buying my lugs today so i can have my wheels installed next week, also how will i know if the lugs have tapered seats will it say in the description or i just have to see them?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rocketberger
thank you so much for the fast reply, im planning on buying my lugs today so i can have my wheels installed next week, also how will i know if the lugs have tapered seats will it say in the description or i just have to see them?
It should just say so in the description if you're buying online. You'll want to look for tapered heads on the lug nuts - the seats are on your wheel.

If you could visually check them before buying, the better

Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Type 100
You'll want to look for tapered heads on the lug nuts - the seats are on your wheel.
Yes, this is a better description than mine. Bad description on my part.

It should say "tapered" in the description somewhere or some reference to aftermarket wheels.

Tapered

Ball

Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
It should say "tapered" in the description somewhere or some reference to aftermarket wheels.

Tapered

It's a little less common, but "conical" also works

Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, this is a better description than mine. Bad description on my part.

Tapered

Ball
WOOO PICTURES!! you just made it easy for me!! BIG THANK YOU!!!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
does it has to be tapered?? because i was looking at some lug nuts some of em are acorn heads does it have a difference? or i can use acorn/conical/tapered??

one more thing locking lug nuts how does that work?? like usually we need 4 in a wheel, so the locking lug nuts will replace 1 of the lug nuts is that right??

Last edited by rocketberger; 11-09-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rocketberger
does it has to be tapered?? because i was looking at some lug nuts some of em are acorn heads does it have a difference? or i can use acorn/conical/tapered??

one more thing locking lug nuts how does that work?? like usually we need 4 in a wheel, so the locking lug nuts will replace 1 of the lug nuts is that right??
For your Rotas the lug nuts have to be tapered or conical.
"Acorn" I haven't really heard of but those seem to refer to ball-headed lug nuts.

Wheel locks are lug nuts with one difference - you cannot loosen or tighten them directly by a wrench. You'll need a "key" to go between the wrench and the lug nut in order to get them off the wheel.

These are my old sets, 21mm hex size.

"Bull-Lock" wheel lock vs. lug nut:

Work RS wheel lock vs. lug nut:

The lug nut on the right got a little deformed on the edges because a mechanic used a wrench that was too shallow.

Last edited by Type 100; 11-09-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
"Acorn" I haven't really heard of but those seem to refer to ball-headed lug nuts.

Wheel locks are lug nuts with one difference - you cannot loosen or tighten them directly by a wrench. You'll need a "key" to go between the wrench and the lug nut in order to get them off the wheel.

These are my old sets, 21mm hex size.

"Bull-Lock" wheel lock vs. lug nut:

Work RS wheel lock vs. lug nut:

The lug nut on the right got a little deformed on the edges because a mechanic used a wrench that was too shallow.

thank you for knocking some sense to me, now i get! like if ever i choose to buy these set of lug nuts MUTEKI SR35 12x1.5 Rim Wheel Tuner Lug Lock Nut M12 P1.5 C/E Black w/ key b | eBay these will work for me right?

Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
The Muteki set will work for your Rotas. The wheel locks on the set you referred to are basically Kyo-Ei's original Bull-Lock wheel locks, just rebranded.

Muteki steel lug nuts are also made by Kyo-Ei, and I can vouch for their quality. You can't go wrong with those. The black finish just stays really nice and glossy despite the abuse lug nuts get.

The Work RS lug nut set I got was made of aluminum and those are okay for daily driving, but not so desirable for track use.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
The Work RS lug nut set I got was made of aluminum and those are okay for daily driving, but not so desirable for track use.

i really liked the look of those Work RS lug nut set, saw them and their pricey, me cant afford them

can you recommend a color of lug nuts for my ROTAS?? i got a Taffy White base fit and an Absolute Green Rotas.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Oh i ended up buying me some Muteki SR48 extended open ended lug nuts, and some Muteki Locking nuts to pair with it. cots me about $90
and these to pair it with

Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
Gorilla refers to conical/tapered as Acorn. Or more specifically, it says "All Acorn lug nuts have a 60° conical seat." Its in their PDF. I can't say if other brands use "acorn" differently though.

When it comes to lugs... I don't really care for much. I'm using the ones that TireRack included with the wheels I bought from them. But I did buy Gorilla Guard Lock nuts. I like these over most because of the sleeve. It keeps you from simply smashing a smaller socket on top of a lock and using pure friction to turn it (as a CalTrans guy showed me with an older lock on a Honda Accord in the past).

Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Gorilla refers to conical/tapered as Acorn. Or more specifically, it says "All Acorn lug nuts have a 60° conical seat." Its in their PDF. I can't say if other brands use "acorn" differently though.

When it comes to lugs... I don't really care for much. I'm using the ones that TireRack included with the wheels I bought from them. But I did buy Gorilla Guard Lock nuts. I like these over most because of the sleeve. It keeps you from simply smashing a smaller socket on top of a lock and using pure friction to turn it (as a CalTrans guy showed me with an older lock on a Honda Accord in the past).
Oh okay, the first thing that came to mind with acorns were how rounded their bottoms were Then again we don't get acorns here so my bad

Nice job on the lug nuts and the wheel locks. Personally I think black goes with anything. My Work RS set was anodized red - what they don't tell you is that the finish fades into a purplish pink, which is fine with me but may not sit well with others.